Software Assisted Listening for the Hearing Impaired
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Keno18

Member of the Trade: NY Talent Media
There are now two versions of the Equalizer APO install. A Basic and a Full version. The Basic installs just the Equalizer APO and Peace configuration utility. This is suitable for those who only need a simple equalizer. The Full installs the complete system. See the Full version introduction for more information.

Basic version-

Equalizer APO and Peace Install:

Download Equalizer APO Version 1.21 from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/files/1.2.1/
Download Peace Equalizer (PeaceSetup.exe) interface Equalizer APO from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/files/

Install Equalizer APO, the following window will come up:

Equalizer APO.jpg

Check the device(s) you want the equalizer to work with. Click "OK". Your Config will be different from the one pictured.

You will be asked to reboot, do so.

Now run PeaceSetup.exe. Select "Install Peace", click "Install". Click "yes" for all questions. The Peace shortcut should appear on the desktop. Run Peace. In the widow check "Don't show this window at startup" and select the UI view "Full interface" on the left. Adjust the sliders for as much boost as you need for the frequencies you need.

Peace.jpg

Once you have the equalizer set, click "Save" to save the configuration.

On the extreme left of the taskbar right-click the speaker icon, select "Open sound settings". Click "Sound Control Panel". In the Sound window select the device the equalizer is set for.

Click "Properties". Select the "Advanced" tab. Under "Default Format" make sure the bits and sampling rate are set to the highest the APO software allows (24 bits, 192k).

If your player software gives you a choice of output device, select your device.

On the extreme left of the taskbar left-click the speaker icon. Select your device.

If you want to deactivate the equalizer run Peace. In the upper right-hand corner click the Green on switch to off (Red).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full version-

Introduction:

The following freely available software helps to accomplish two things:
1. It is part of a larger project (AutoEQ) to improve the sound quality of your headphones through software equalization.
2. Through the use of additional equalizers and limiter it can help compensate for the loss of sensitivity to a range of frequencies inherent in hearing loss.
These two things can be adjusted independently without one interfering with the other. Multiple separate equalizers are used to accomplish this.
The headphone sound quality equalizer is Equalizer APO with the Peace configuration utility. The hearing equalizers used are Voxengo 16 band Marvel GEQ vst plugins.
The easyLimiter_x64 limiter is used to keep levels below clipping due to the cumulative amount of boost the Marvel hearing equalizers can apply in addition to
the boost the Equalizer APO can introduce.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are instructions to load Windows software I use to help me hear my music,
I hope it can help others in a similar situation.

Download Equalizer APO Version 1.21 from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/files/1.2.1/
Download Peace Equalizer (PeaceSetup.exe) interface Equalizer APO from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/files/

Install Equalizer APO, the following window will come up:

Configurator.jpg

Check the device identified for your dac. Your Config will be different from the one pictured.

You will be asked to reboot, do so.

Go here to find your headphone Equalizer preset file:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

Scroll down until you find your headphone. Click on the link. A list of different files will appear. Click on the link for the ParametricEQ (important!) file. The contents of the file will appear. To save the file to your hard drive, click Raw. At this point either copy and paste the contents to a .txt (Also important!) file or do a "Save the page as" in your browser. Repeat this for all the headphones to be used.

Now run PeaceSetup.exe. Select "Install Peace", click "Install". Click "yes" for all questions. The Peace shortcut should appear on the desktop. Run Peace. In the widow check "Don't show this window at startup" and select the UI view "Full interface" on the left. In the interface window click "Import". Now find where you saved your headphone preset .txt file. Select the file, click "Open". The EQ sliders should change position. In the "all devices" drop-down box select you dac device. Now click "Save". Enter the name and description you want this to be saved under. Click "Shortcut" to put this setting on your desktop.

On the extreme left of the taskbar right-click the speaker icon, select "Open sound settings". Click "Sound Control Panel". In the Sound window select under speakers your dac.

Click "Properties". Select the "Advanced" tab. Under "Default Format" make sure the bits and sampling rate are set to the highest the APO software allows (24 bits, 192k).

If your player software gives you a choice of output device, select your dac.

On the extreme left of the taskbar left-click the speaker icon. Select your dac.

If you want to deactivate the equalizer run Peace. In the upper right-hand corner click the Green on switch to off (Red).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for installing plugins for hearing compensation adjustments to Equalizer APO:

Now download the Voxengo Marvel Equalizer vst plugin from here: http://www.voxengo.com/product/marvelgeq/
Download config.exe from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmo8k4ekq2afrug/config.exe?dl=0
Download easyLimiter_x64.zip from here: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=easyLimiter&id=2525 choosing the "Win 64 VST" download link.

Install the Voxengo Equalizer by navigating to: "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\VSTPlugins". It will add "Voxengo" to the path. The installer should show "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\VSTPlugins\Voxengo".

Unzip the easyLimiter_x64.zip file. Install the easyLimiter_x64.dll into "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\VSTPlugins".

To add plugins to the equalizer:

Right-click config.exe. Select "Run as administrator", click "Yes". Navigate to "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config". Click "Extract", click "Yes" to overwrite the old config.txt file.

From the Start menu run the Equalizer APO Configuration Editor. Under VST Plugin: Voxengo\Marvel GEQ.dll click "Options", select "Embed".

Do the same for the second VST Plugin Voxengo\Marvel GEQ.dll.

The configuration shown is a starting point.

If you don't need adjustments to each ear individually, adjust the EQ sliders to reflect your individual needs. Refer to the Voxengo documentation in the "Start" menu programs list for more detail on controls.

If you require adjustments to each ear individually follow these directions: A this point just below the title bar to the right of "Routing" will be a down arrow. Click the arrow and select "Dual Mono" to access left and right channels separately, At the bottom of the equalizer window you'll see "Edit group" with left and right buttons. Click "Left" to adjust parameters for the left channel, click "Right" for the right channel.

Now under VST Plugin: easyLimiter_x64.dll click "Options", select "Embed". Leave the settings where they are.

Do a "File", "Save" to save your configuration.

The "Analysis" panel will show the cumulative curve for the headphone eq preset and Marvel equalizers and Sonic Anomaly limiter. Select Channel L or R to view the left and right channel curves individually.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there are any questions, please ask. Also if you have suggestions for improvements or have your own software that you use please post.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 8
I am hearing impaired also. I like the idea of all of this, I'm just not computer savy enough to do it. I just need a simple 10 band eq to get the music adjusted to my ears. Is there anything like that freely available? Should I just stick with using my es100 as a dac and using its eq? Thanks!

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 8
I am hearing impaired also. I like the idea of all of this, I'm just not computer savy enough to do it. I just need a simple 10 band eq to get the music adjusted to my ears. Is there anything like that freely available? Should I just stick with using my es100 as a dac and using its eq? Thanks!
There are many free equalizers available. I just need a little more information. I couldn't find anything listed as an es100, did you mean the Astell and Kearn se100? Also what do you use as a source? A windows machine has the widest choice of equalizers and I don't have much experience with Macs.
Edit: My bad. The Ear Studio es100's equalizer should do in a pinch. If your source is a Windows machine all the better.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Sorry, yes I use the radsone es100 and I’m using windows as a player, streaming from either amazon music hd or iTunes. If I could get a good eq for windows I was considering a upgrade to either a fiio k3 or a ifi zen.

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Sorry, yes I use the radsone es100 and I’m using windows as a player, streaming from either amazon music hd or iTunes. If I could get a good eq for windows I was considering a upgrade to either a fiio k3 or a ifi zen.
The equalizer I'd recommend would be the Equalizer APO. But you'd have to upgrade the dac first because the APO installs into the dac's device. I'm using a system similar to what you're proposing. If you want a recommendation for the dac I'd have to say the ifi zen hands down. I use the ifi nano black label and APO installed with out any problems. I can help you with the install of APO as there are 2 install programs and this is a good opportunity to get your feet wet.

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Please see the first post for version 2 of the install instructions. They've been simplified (I hope) to make it easier. Comments are welcome as are suggestions for improvements.
New version 2.1 includes a limiter upgrade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back