societal impact of New SAT?
Feb 23, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scopip
If you have visited berkeley, or ucla anytime recently. You know there is a serious over-population issue with asians and indians. Same goes for many other top-tier schools that "do not discriminate" based on race.

As a result they have had to come up with a system to reduce the asian enrollment.

Taking away math and picking away at grammar looks like a simple solution to me.

dan

I don't even know where to begin with this. What, are you bitter about not getting into Berkeley or UCLA? Afraid that the people who "look different" and "talk funny" are going to take your job?

Your ignorance and bigotry are appalling.

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
I don't even know where to begin with this. What, are you bitter about not getting into Berkeley or UCLA? Afraid that the people who "look different" and "talk funny" are going to take your job?

Your ignorance and bigotry are appalling.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how I was supposed to respond to that post... still don't, but that's a good start.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

For those that are confused. SAT II writing (Which is now part of SAT I writing), is not about the "writing" most of us are speaking about. Its purely about grammar.

To be blunt. Idiots can't do math and idiots can't compose an essay. But a properly trained idiot can do grammar. Grammar is simply a set of memorized sequences and rules. Is someone going to win the next nobel prize in grammar? Do people even major in grammar?

Unfortunately, not every student has had the opportunity to learn and memorize these rules. Many multi-lingual people such as myself, order words in many ways. Once you know how to communicate by multiple languages, standard english wording is not the law, nor is it optimal.

If you have visited berkeley, or ucla anytime recently. You know there is a serious over-population issue with asians and indians. Same goes for many other top-tier schools that "do not discriminate" based on race.

As a result they have had to come up with a system to reduce the asian enrollment.

Taking away math and picking away at grammar looks like a simple solution to me.

dan

I'm just amused that you say that any "properly trained idiot can do grammar" and that your post still contains grammar mistakes.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

For those that are confused. SAT II writing (Which is now part of SAT I writing), is not about the "writing" most of us are speaking about. Its purely about grammar.

To be blunt. Idiots can't do math and idiots can't compose an essay. But a properly trained idiot can do grammar. Grammar is simply a set of memorized sequences and rules. Is someone going to win the next nobel prize in grammar? Do people even major in grammar?

Unfortunately, not every student has had the opportunity to learn and memorize these rules. Many multi-lingual people such as myself, order words in many ways. Once you know how to communicate by multiple languages, standard english wording is not the law, nor is it optimal.

dan

I have a feeling you're frustrated/bitter about grammar for some reason. Your post above is completely wrong. Correct grammar is vital to communication in any setting. If a student is lacking in grammar skills, then they are not ready for a high level education, period. It's not an attack against any specific group of people.

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

dan

Maybe this is an asian guy who didn't get in to UCLA or Berkeley. Maybe he's bitter and looking for a conspiracy.

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #53 of 53
Guys, isn't this going TIO? SATs is one thing, but to bring up the racism aspect from the very first post invites disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back