So...who's using Windows 7 right now?
Jan 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #106 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Feels like Vista SP2 to me, some parts of WMC are better but some are worse (not scrolling through from high channels back to 1 is dumb).

I honestly do not like the taskbar, can't really figure out how to make it go back to something more like Vista/XP.

It scrolls through the high channels back to 1 for me.

As for going back to the old taskbar, right click it, click properties, and switch from "Always Combine" to "Never Combine".

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #107 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been using it, honestly I don't see what all the fuss is about. UAC is easily disabled in Vista and once you do that it's not a bad OS, gets way more flack than it deserves.

In most cases Vista's UAC is useful if a somewhat flawed implementation. At least it's improved...
tongue_smile.gif

As for fuss, I'm in love with the libraries. It is so much more straightforward to find files I know I've got somewhere. Too busy lately to pay close attention to where all my stuff goes, and now I can just browse through word or jpg or pdf files and find it instantly. Ties in nicely with WMP12, which I'm liking a lot too. And homegroups. Brilliant.

Basically, I'm just praying no showstopping bugs are found between now and the RC, cause this is the first time that I not only have zero problems adjusting, I also actually dread the idea of going back to vista or xp
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #108 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhoff80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It scrolls through the high channels back to 1 for me.

As for going back to the old taskbar, right click it, click properties, and switch from "Always Combine" to "Never Combine".

must be nice, I'm stuck at 78 and then scrolling back down.

"Never Combine" is great until I get 4 or 5 IE windows open (I multi-task a lot) and then the rest of the taskbar is over to the right useless and messy.

I never liked the OSX gui, and know how to keep track of my files, apparently MS is willing to concede such people to unix or something.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #109 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically, I'm just praying no showstopping bugs are found between now and the RC, cause this is the first time that I not only have zero problems adjusting, I also actually dread the idea of going back to vista or xp
bigsmile_face.gif

Well that was asking for it I guess. Been having some stability issues with the nvidia drivers and explorer.exe crashing about once every two days. The system always recovers and I wasn't too worried, but today Word crashed. With a graduation project around the door, this laptop will become very mission critical and I'm a bit too nervous about losing work to continue using 7. But man, I'll miss the features. Will run on a separate system to get my fix now and then!
wink.gif
Let's hope they'll finish soon!

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #111 of 164
I have to reinstall to get 64 bit OS (to use all my ram) and I'm trying to decide between vista and windows 7... this is on my main computer that I use daily, so I don't want too much trouble, but I realize I'll get at least some running a beta version. I guess my main issue is that I have to reinstall in a while (when the beta expires) and thats never fun. So... what should I do?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #112 of 164
I'm going for 64bit XP, as I'm ok with searching for drivers and the idea of using Vista every day depresses me...
With 7, be prepared to reinstall somewhere in April, for the RC (and you'll want to for stability) and again with the release. I have been doing reinstalls at least once a month lately (with all the leaked releases and other fooling around), so I'm kinda looking forward to just running one install till release of 7.
Basically, as long as you run it on a system where a reboot or driver breaking does not seriously interrupt your work flow, you should be fine with 7. But I'm too scared by the idea of losing data during my graduation project that the instability of explorer is not something I'm comfortable with. Your call basically...

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #114 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going for 64bit XP, as I'm ok with searching for drivers and the idea of using Vista every day depresses me...
With 7, be prepared to reinstall somewhere in April, for the RC (and you'll want to for stability) and again with the release. I have been doing reinstalls at least once a month lately (with all the leaked releases and other fooling around), so I'm kinda looking forward to just running one install till release of 7.
Basically, as long as you run it on a system where a reboot or driver breaking does not seriously interrupt your work flow, you should be fine with 7. But I'm too scared by the idea of losing data during my graduation project that the instability of explorer is not something I'm comfortable with. Your call basically...

If what I've heard of 64bit XP is true, I'd stay away from that for sure...
smily_headphones1.gif

Naw, I'm about to build a NAS for all my important storage, and I don't do a lot of important stuff here anyway (except reading this site of course!) so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm not a huge fan of reinstalling a bunch of time though, but if I try to keep installed stuff down to a minimum, and write down everything I do, it shouldn't be that much trouble. Hmm... need to consider it a bit more...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #115 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by martook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If what I've heard of 64bit XP is true, I'd stay away from that for sure...
smily_headphones1.gif

Naw, I'm about to build a NAS for all my important storage, and I don't do a lot of important stuff here anyway (except reading this site of course!) so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm not a huge fan of reinstalling a bunch of time though, but if I try to keep installed stuff down to a minimum, and write down everything I do, it shouldn't be that much trouble. Hmm... need to consider it a bit more...
smily_headphones1.gif

X2, 64bit XP is crap compare to Vista 64bit. I have so much problem on it and have to rebuild my desktop after a week of use.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #116 of 164
I'm using 7 now as my main OS after using XP for years and years, I've never actually tried Vista ever. Anyways I love it, I had some problems with UAC but once I disabled it everything is fine now. It's nice and fast even though I only have a gig of memory (i'm saving up to get 4gigs).

It's a great OS and I feel like I never have to go back to XP now.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #117 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using 7 now as my main OS after using XP for years and years, I've never actually tried Vista ever. Anyways I love it, I had some problems with UAC but once I disabled it everything is fine now. It's nice and fast even though I only have a gig of memory (i'm saving up to get 4gigs).

It's a great OS and I feel like I never have to go back to XP now.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I have used Vista briefly on my friends machines, but it never really made me want to switch to it. Windows 7 now has all the cool things of Vista, with all the bad things fixed (for the most part). I had some problems installing ATI drivers, there is not much support yet, but Windows Update fixed all my problems. It also works great with my tablet features.

I've been dual booting 7 for a while now. I keep moving more and more free space from my XP partition to my 7 partition. I'm quite pleased.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #119 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows 7 SKUs announced: your worst nightmare has come to pass - Engadget

Holy beaver, six versions of Windows 7 to choose from. Of course, 99% of the population will be perfectly at ease with Home Premium. But still!
eek.gif

To me that's exaggerated. Starter doesn't count, because it's meant for like third-world markets. Pro and Enterprise and meant for business.

That means all that one has to worry about are Home Basic, Home Premium, or Ultimate (though I'd read there wouldn't be a Home Basic version). I don't really see why its so hard for people to pick between three versions all with different features, and if someone can't figure it out, they probably need the Home Premium version anyway.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #120 of 164
W7 is not too bad, although some of the CMI8788-based sound cards have driver issue, I was told that C-Media will release an official driver around June.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy beaver, six versions of Windows 7 to choose from. Of course, 99% of the population will be perfectly at ease with Home Premium. But still!
eek.gif

Six? Starter, Home Basic/Premium, Business, Ultimate, and ? Regardless, it's still too many versions imo, but it is MS, so it's expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back