So who would you put on the halftime show? Destroyed my memory of a legend.
Feb 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess if I had to choose a band, I wouldn't mind Talking Heads playing "Burning Down the House".

Good luck with that. David Byrne has been at odds with the rest of that band for years (even when they were together). From what I heard from behind the scenes, they couldn't even be civil when they got inducted into the Rock Hall Of Fame.

Has Stevie Wonder ever played the halftime show? That might be a good jam. Maybe the Roots with special guests like Al Green (?uestlove produced his last record), M.I.A., LL Cool J and Erykah Badu. That'd be hype, too.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #32 of 68
Won't be the Rolling Stones they just did it a couple of years ago.

I have no specific suggestions as none would have a prayer of happening but if we are going to have these ridiculous shows can't we at least have a person/group that was popular after the Berlin Wall fell? I'm really getting sick of "The Superbowl half-time show brought to you by the AARP"!

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Won't be the Rolling Stones they just did it a couple of years ago.

Right. They seem to roll the same 3-4 bands every 3-4 years. Might be Springsteen's turn next year again.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right. They seem to roll the same 3-4 bands every 3-4 years. Might be Springsteen's turn next year again.

Not true at all.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #35 of 68
How about the Beatles? I mean if you can get away with saying that The Who played the halftime show when 1/2 of the members were present (or absent/dead depending on if your an optimist or pessimist), I would think Paul and Ringo could pull it off as well. Or how about The Doors or Led Zeppelin, I mean only 1/4 of them are dead respectively. Then again, I really don't want to see any of these "bands" play a halftime show because IMO halftime shows suck. So, how about we put some country artist(s) on stage so I know what I'm in for BEFORE the show begins.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #36 of 68
Pearl Jam is a good suggestion. Green Day would be another even if I'm not a huge fan.

The Who looked like The Geriatrics. It was terrible. That show managed to date their music... And it didn't age well.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #37 of 68
Arcade Fire would be my pick. They used "Wake Up" in a promotional spot for the league anyway, so maybe that would at least ring a bell with fans. And hey, Win Butler is from Texas, where the next SB will be held.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #38 of 68
They could have NAMBLA do a tribute to Michael Jackson.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geesh Camper, it wasn't that bad.

I vote for Elton John. He has an extensive catalog, plus - at least over the last few decades - a certain schmaltz factor that would mate well with the festivities. He would knock that sucker our of the park with Philadelphia Freedom as the closing segment.

Should Elton be unavailable, Neil Diamond would be the next choice.

not to sound rude or ignorant, but an english homosexual singing and playing piano gently doesnt scream american football or typically please the type of people watching this. The who was awesome, keep the classics coming back

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an old marching band geek, I say enough with the stars...Bring back the enormous marching bands and precision formations!

What a great suggestion. Band was a big part of my life in high school, even though I was a below-average trumpet player in a middling high school marching band. We actually sounded pretty good, but couldn't do formations to save our lives. Which didn't stop our band director from trying to get us to learn them, to often comic effect.

The thing is, marching band music is a great part of American culture that has been largely marginalised outside of half-time performances at football games. The Super Bowl would be a great boost. Maybe there could be a nationwide contest. Either individuals could audition via YouTube for a "Super Band," or high school bands could compete for the honor of showing their stuff at HT. It would be great if the public could have a role in the selection.

I don't think it'll ever happen, which is a shame.

As for the other suggestions, some of them made me laugh. Green Day? Love 'em, but do you think the NFL is gonna present a bunch of guys who recorded an album called American Idiot? I'm thinking not.

M.I.A.? love her too, but again, political acts don't stand a chance of being chosen.

So let me suggest one dinosaur act and one current artist. For the dinosaurs, I'd suggest the Allman Brothers. As for a current artist, I think Jay-Z would work. Maybe with Beyonce as well.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ACDC would put up a fantastic show. The Who are a good band, but sorry your lead vocals aren't good anymore.

This is the most obvious answer, im surprised i didnt think of it.....

Either AC/DC or Van Halen with Hagar or Roth

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #43 of 68
It's a football game. There should be a marching band. And they should be playing in mud, and snow. And the helmets should be made of leather.

I hate the Super Bowl, and the NFL in general.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is, marching band music is a great part of American culture that has been largely marginalised outside of half-time performances at football games. The Super Bowl would be a great boost. Maybe there could be a nationwide contest. Either individuals could audition via YouTube for a "Super Band," or high school bands could compete for the honor of showing their stuff at HT. It would be great if the public could have a role in the selection.

I don't think it'll ever happen, which is a shame.

As for the other suggestions, some of them made me laugh. Green Day? Love 'em, but do you think the NFL is gonna present a bunch of guys who recorded an album called American Idiot? I'm thinking not.

M.I.A.? love her too, but again, political acts don't stand a chance of being chosen.

As for a current artist, I think Jay-Z would work. Maybe with Beyonce as well.

Coupla things: I love marching bands, too, but my guess is that the reason that doesn't fly is that it seems more like a high school/college thing, whereas the NFL is for the pros, hence the desire for comparable music stars.

To reiterate, that M.I.A. suggestion was more about the Roots, whose revue-type live shows have proven them to be a great backup band for all kinds of music—which is how they landed that late-night spot with Jimmy Fallon. I've actually seen the Roots back up Jay-Z once here in NYC (back when they were on the label he was running). Of course, he has his own great touring band, so that matchup wouldn't be necessary for the Super Bowl.

All that said, a Jay-Z/Beyoncé thing would be kinda cool, and if I'm not mistaken, she's originally from Texas—if the NFL needs a TX plug next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back