So who got a PS3 tonight?
Nov 19, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #91 of 103
I'm still surprised that no one on Head-fi has one and is playing it. Or if they are, I'm surprised they aren't posting impressions. This forum is notorious for spending money on the biggest, baddest, best of the best, and apparently no one here has one that is in use..
blink.gif

So it sort of makes me wonder is anyone out there playing these things or are they all just being resold again for now? Also, since these things are selling for 2500+ how come Sony didn't release this console for 1000+? Seems like I read a while back that they're actually losing money on the consoles because at prices right now they have 800+ dollars of hardware in them..

Nov 19, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #92 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the feeling that the blu-ray included with the ps3 will be subpar compared to the upcoming standalones... I recall how crappy the ps2 dvd player was. *shutters*

If blu-ray bombs in the next-gen format war... people are gonna be pissed.

I already use the Panasonic standalone Blu-ray player... now if I could just get my hands on a PS3.

Nov 19, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #93 of 103
Well, I'm extremely disappointed about the lack of upscaling to 1080i, because my TV is one of those TVs that can only accept 1080i but not 720p. Unless they can fix it through some kind of patching, then I can't get a PS3, and I don't have the money in the foreseeable future to get another TV.

Nov 19, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This system is amazing from what I've seen and read, and it will quite literally beat out the 360,

In what sense? The launch PS3 games are getting mediocre reviews, Sony left the online side up to game developers, so to chat with a friend they have to be playing the same game as you. Graphics wise I have yet to see anything that tops Gears of War, and the controller has no rumble feature.

I'm no Sony hater, but they really dropped the ball by leaving the online up to the devs, Xbox Live for the win!

Nov 19, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #95 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm extremely disappointed about the lack of upscaling to 1080i, because my TV is one of those TVs that can only accept 1080i but not 720p. Unless they can fix it through some kind of patching, then I can't get a PS3, and I don't have the money in the foreseeable future to get another TV.

That actually seems quite strange to me. My current Sony DVD player -- the NS90v is an upscaling player... So I'm guessing its either a cost-cutting/space-saving decision or a synergy/bug issue... sucks though
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #96 of 103
We (CFD officer's club) bought ten PS3(60G) from Toys R Us and used them in a raffle for Burn Camps. Tickets sold for $100 each and were sold out the second day, before we had the actual fundraiser event where they were given away. The raffle raised $200,000 and the event only raised $17,000.

Nov 20, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #97 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We (CFD officer's club) bought ten PS3(60G) from Toys R Us and used them in a raffle for Burn Camps. Tickets sold for $100 each and were sold out the second day, before we had the actual fundraiser event where they were given away. The raffle raised $200,000 and the event only raised $17,000.

Wow, thats good to hear, that amount was given out (200k). Its a amzing how something with little value ($600 bucks) can improve a persons level of "generosity", by that much (17k to 200k)

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #98 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually that is one smart move on including a blu ray drive.The games are getting so huge just this first generation of games that the extra space is a must and it's use as a media player is a great thing.

I dunno about the extra space being really necessary. Oblivion was a huge game, and is on the 360 DVD discs, as well as Gears Of War, which is loaded with all the graphics you could want. The use as a media player might be a plus, but is it really worth the extra money? And what if the format bombs? The only people I think would be willing to pay for the $35 dollar blu-ray movies over regular DVDs are the ones with the loaded home theater systems. I think thats going to end up being the only place you can see the difference, if you have a high end TV.

Nov 20, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #99 of 103
Yes but from what i hear Gears of War is a game you can finish really quick which tells me that they chose not to go to a second dvd but instead packed as much as they could in that one dvd.I am sure if they had more space on the disk they would have included more content.

If blu ray dies as a movie format then the PS3 will still be using it for games so i see nothing negative in terms of gaming so even though i don't see the format dying it wont affect anyone except the movies.

edit: Resistance FOM actually uses 22 gigs as a launch title so you can see where things are headed and why space is needed so much.

Nov 20, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #100 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes but from what i hear Gears of War is a game you can finish really quick which tells me that they chose not to go to a second dvd but instead packed as much as they could in that one dvd.I am sure if they had more space on the disk they would have included more content.

Gears of War took up 6.5 GB out of a possible 8.5 GB. Epic could have easily made it much longer.

Nov 20, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #102 of 103
Resistance: FoM ended up weighing in at 16 GB. Insomniac ended up removing the PAL movies and using on-the-fly NTSC to PAL instead.

Dropping the prerendered HD movies for ingame cutscenes, using compression on the sound, and changing the way that Insomniac implemented textures would have easily allowed for the game to fit on a DVD-9. But, if you have the space, might as well use it.

Course, Resistance: FoM isn't that long either. IGN lists playtimes of 12-15 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back