So which of the HPs that you owned do you hate the most?
Sep 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

manuvajpai

100+ Head-Fier
Everyone here posts reviews and comments about the stuff that they own. It will be interesting to find out something dramatically negative about a pair of HPs which turns owners off completely, for a change. I got nothing, so far, because this is my first pair of "good" cans.

EDIT: I am also building up a list of popular cans and their shortcoming in this thread. Suggestions are welcome. I hope this helps people, but by no means is it an objective representation of the overall quality of the headphones involved in it. It is a list of personal observations and nothing is better than your own "ears-on" experience. Headphones are a very subjective choice because of both physiological and psychological reasons and this list is just gonna expand your understanding of a device.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 98
AKG K701 - Some find them treble heavy and bass-light. Picky about amps.

AD700 (hence AD900 I suppose, except for better bass and a bit more refinement) - Colored mids are not for everyone. Unbalanced spectrum and can be sibilant. My own pair of AD700s sounds hollow because of the weak-bodied bass.

Beyerdynamic DT880 Very good but slightly lean bass. However that is a non-issue over its recessed mids and bright-like-the-afternoon-sun treble.

Ultrasones - Unsatisfying tone, mids and highs. (need more opinions to be sure about this, though)

Grados (except the high end, slightly neutral, ones) - Shrill highs for those with sensitive ears. Too upfront for a lot of people. Soundstage is crushed in most cases. Overall they are very fatiguing because of their upfront sound and uncomfortable fit.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 98
Let's kick this off with the AKG K-701.

After loving every AKG I've owned (K-501, K-1000, K-340, K-240DF) the K-701 was an unqualified disappointment. The tonality is off and the vocals sound plasticky and unreal.

I tried them with several amps, kept them for well over a year and gave them many chances.

They were awful.

I also don't much like the Stax Aperio Alpha 1. They're Stax's attempt at dynamic headphones. Once you hear them, you'll understand why they went back to 'stats. I don't have much into them and they're rare and hard to find, so I keep them around as a curiosity.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 98
I also don't much like the K-701. As Erik stated, the tone is strange and they seem very artificially bright. Also the version that I have has the bump in the center of the headband, which hurts my head after 20 minutes or so.

I literally haven't picked them up except to move them out of the way since getting my HD650.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 98
Easy. ATH-A900. Never sold a headphone so fast in my life.

I just couldn't find a way to like it. The soundstage sounded contrived, and the frequency response has a big hole right at about middle-C.

I even tried upgrading the pads on them.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 98
3rd place: AD2000, flawed imaging and horrible fit.
2nd place: DT880 250/2005, Bright, thin and sibilance.
1st: D2000, I couldn't hear any music on it, but noise.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 98
Hated my Senn RS130. Couldn't get rid of the RF hiss, no matter the channel. Never use them, but they look good sitting next to the TV.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 98
Hate is a really strong word. Can´t say I have found a headphone I dislike to such degree.

I guess I have been getting overall good headphones then.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 98
panasonic rp-htx7 paid retail for them. listened to them and they sounded muddy and hollow; i couldn't stand them. I was just so attracted to the aesthetics of the thing. I promptly returned them within the hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back