So when do I do THIS in driver's ed?
Jun 21, 2002 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
http://www.thedudes.nu/~johan/bmw/bu...e-burnout.mpeg

GOOD LORD!
eek.gif

Funny as heck, but what a waste. . .

Jun 21, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 12
Actually it would be good to have an area like this where they could teach and you could practice what to do when the car goes into a slide or a spin. The right thing and the instinctive thing are not the same in this case and practice is the only thing that truly prepares you for a dangerous situation.

Jun 21, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 12
actually when i was in drivers ed we did do something similar to what you're suggesting.

Put 3 cones in a triangle in the road, floor it at the triangle, and at the last second the teacher says "left" or "right" and you have to go one way or another and not hit them.

I remember taking that test and the teacher being likle "you aren't accellerating fast enough put the pedal on the floor! NOW!" lol that was cool.

Jun 21, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 12
I wouldn't recommend that in an SUV...

Every year I make it a point when it snows to find an empty lot or field that is covered in snow and ice and do some controlled slides and get a feel for the vehicle.

When I first started driving I did the same sorts of things on a dry and wet parking lot.

The key here is to start slowly and find the limits from below.

Every vehicle is different at the outer edges.

These days I'm driving either a 98 Olds Intrigue or a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. There is a great turn here at work that is 90 degree and very narrow. On cooler days and warm tires I can hit that turn around 45 MPH (it's rated at 10) and drift the back end around it and never leave my lane in the Olds. The Jeep is another story. Same road, same conditions and I would likly flip it at 45. It can handle about 30 tops.

Knowing a cars limit in any given situation is key to getting out of a sticky situation and has saved my ass on more than one occasion. I'm akeen believer in listening to the car and pay attention to what she tells you. If she doesn't like something she'll let you know about it, just make sure the radio isn't cranked so you can hear her scream at you if you make her angry.

Jun 21, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 12
For driver's ed in high school (1957 summer school between 9th and 10th grade) we had a '57 Pontiac Cheiftain 2 door sedan. The smallest, lightest car Pontiac made.

347 V8 with D series (Daytona series) Carter AFB that was bigger than my bedroom, dual exhaust and 3 speed column. One of the fastest cars in Palm Beach County, and was a certified Fuely 'Vette eater.

The instructor (Baseball Coach) said I wasn't using the clutch right, and told me to start off in 3rd gear. I told him it would burn up the clutch. He said "Not if you do it right." I smoked the tires for a block and a half until he managed to get to the dual clutch on his side. Luckily, I was able to back off before it blew the engine.

The next day I had the tail hangin' out a bit around a corner in downtown so he threw me out of class. I'd been driving about 4 years and had some professional instruction driving sideways. I got a "C" for insurance purposes. I was 16 and not really too awful bright, but the roads weren't very crowded then. Lucky for me and everybody else.

Also lucky for me that we were able to get some really good, semi-pro road racers to teach our sports car club.

Smokin' tires is fun, but can get real expensive. Tires are expensive and the tickets you get are pretty damned expensive too.

Jun 21, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 12
I had a great first ride. My Dad gave me a 1950 GMC 1 ton flat bed truck. Top speed 45 mph and if you let the clutch out to fast the thing would shake you to death. It actually served me well till I graduated HS.

First Car I bought for myself was a 65 high performance Mustang. Like a fool I sold it when it had 150,000 miles and I had trouble getting parts.

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I had a great first ride. My Dad gave me a 1950 GMC 1 ton flat bed truck. Top speed 45 mph and if you let the clutch out to fast the thing would shake you to death. It actually served me well till I graduated HS.

First Car I bought for myself was a 65 high performance Mustang. Like a fool I sold it when it had 150,000 miles and I had trouble getting parts.

How about a 70 cuda?

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #10 of 12
First car?

1951 Chevrolet Deluxe Convertible. I bought it from my father who bought it new for $950. 16 years old, 1958, I paid him $200 that I'd earned in summer jobs.

Remember AM radios with TUBES and VIBRATORS?

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 12
lol guys, I JUST got my permit today! yahoo!

Unfortunatly, I won't be getting a car. I'll be using our old Mazda protoge 92 whenever my mom isn't.
smily_headphones1.gif
But hey, I like the car. I like it a LOT because its very small. I tried driving a buick century. I dislike it because I don't know where my butt is going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back