So what's wrong with the MDR-V700DJ?
Jun 15, 2002 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
These aren't audipohile phones. They aren't supposed to be flat-response monitors. They're supposed to work in high ambient noise environments, and in my experience, they do that fine.

So what's the deal?

Jun 15, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 44
true, but some folks seem to think they're good headphones. which they're not.

ok for DJing, but theres quite a bit too much wrong with them to be useful for serious listening, and they're too expensive. it says 'Sony' on it tho, which to some seems to mean quality.

Jun 15, 2002 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 44
I'm not sure what people on this board mean by 'good headphones. I like to think of it differently - 'appropriate headphones' is a better word. I wouldn't have so many phones otherwise.

The V700's are a poor choice for home listeners, home DJ's and those who work/listen without being assailed by outside noise. They also sound comparatively lifeless with classical and other such music. But I find they are the perfect 'outside' phones for use with a personal player with 'electronica' and guitar/drums-driven music. So in that term, they are very good headphones for that use. In fact, I'd say one of the best. There's no point in being a neutral or balanced presenter of sound when other stuff - especially in the low frequencies - is trying to take over.

The design is well thought out and the comfort factor is high once properly 'perched'. So once again, why do people here bash them so?

Jun 15, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 44
In my opinion its all up to personal preference, and probably more importantly the source equipment...

There is probably nothing fundamentally wrong with the 700s, but the principle behind head-fi is to move away from the mass market equipment, and find higher end... more exotic equipment that just sets your heart racing

As Vertigo_1 says... Different Strokes for Different Folks...

IMO its not everyones idea of fun to have something that is hyper analytical, some people just wanna listen to their music, not become part of it...

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
The V700's are a poor choice for home listeners, home DJ's and those who work/listen without being assailed by outside noise... But I find they are the perfect 'outside' phones for use with a personal player with 'electronica' and guitar/drums-driven music. So in that term, they are very good headphones for that use. In fact, I'd say one of the best.

Quite true, but I'd rather use the Etymotic ER-4P's for so-called 'outside' use with a personal player...
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 44
If your happy with them, great! Ignore everyone here.

But I will say you owe it to yourself to hear at least the V6/7506 and possibly some HD600s (with an amp) or Etys (for loud enviornments). Usually once you have a frame of reference you can't figure out why you thought they were so good. Or, you may find that you are perfectly happy and that's all that matters!

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 44
I have recently found that all open 'phones, including the KSC-35, are unusable for much 'outside listening'; I found that the outdoor noise where I live and work at is very loud, and I would have to turn up even the KSC-35 to deafening levels just to cut through the loud outdoor noises. (I measured the noise level where I walk to work from the bus stop, which is along a busy highway - and its noise level averaged close to 80 dBA.) Which means that I would need to crank up the KSC-35 to at least 110 dBA just to even listen to that (and other open headphones) -- and none of my current portable players can deliver such a decibel level with my KSC-35's without significant distortion.

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 44
They aren't great for DJ work because there are *MUCH* better DJ headphones for $70 on up....

If the V700DJ's were $50, they would be okay for DJ's in live clubs with lots of noise.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
They aren't great for DJ work because there are *MUCH* better DJ headphones for $70 on up....

If the V700DJ's were $50, they would be okay.

Well - that wasn't very 'crapped on', was it?

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 44
I can crap on them if you want....

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

The fact remains that a 'should be at most $50 under all circumstances' set of headphones tends to cost $120...

Oh yes, as soon as they get back in stock in a few more stores, those "$70" headphones that beat them in every way for DJ and studio monitoring use *SHOULD* end up costing $56. And the headphones that beat even THOSE for use in a noisy club cost $84...

Really, the heavy, uncomfortable, easily-breakable, low-sound-quailty V700DJ's shound never cost more than $50, ever.

Jun 15, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Really, the heavy, uncomfortable, easily-breakable, low-sound-quailty V700DJ's shound never cost more than $50, ever.

Okay, okay... I know what's wrong with the V700DJ's...
wink.gif

Here's the m****rf$@#%&! deal: They're big and heavy, use large drivers, and are overly sensitive so that you can get very loud sound even out of a really gutless portable -- but once a headphone designer or manufacturer does all that, the design ends up with poor damping. Boomy mid-bass with almost no deep bass extension, and a near-complete lack of upper-range detail -- for "duh-m-bass" listeners only, IMHO -- and the sound quality won't improve much (if at all) with an amp. But make the same headphone too inefficient (extremely low sensitivity), and they'll sound really thin out of anything short of a huge multi-thousand-dollar headphone amp. So large headphones must be designed with enough efficiency to reproduce decent sound out of a mid-fi component, yet will produce noticeably improved performance with an amp.

Jun 15, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 44
I guess the 700's COULD be useful for DJ's in noisy clubs.

My only gripe is that so many popular DJ's are seen on tv with 700's, so everyone who sees them begins to think that the 700's are the "ultimate" in quality since their fav DJ uses them.

Believe me i know. I was walking into a store one day looking for a pair of koss 50's, when some dude came up and saw the 700's. The employee asked him if he DJ'ed, he said no, and just wanted phones for home use. He listened to the 700's and said something like "wow, the bass is so good on these phones!".....my expression:
rolleyes.gif
.....he ended up buying them....

that is why i wish that someday the rebellion that is head-fi will raid every store in the world and destroy all the 700's in one massive bon fire...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back