So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Jun 29, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #1,906 of 2,328
That's the reason which i don't like the Denon D2000 (well in his stock form...), because of that; and that it doesn't had enough bass slam (less than a DT770pro/80 and lesser than an DT990 ed 2005) and the mids seem slightly recessed and with a very recessed treble (well, less than a Senneiser HD650)....
The HFI-780 is more aggressive sounding and it's comfortable (if your ears are small or medium size), even with his 'fake' leather (it's softer in reality). The pro 750 must be superior in bass (not slam) extension and texture (...quality in general), and in separation of instruments, but it can be a little laidback sounding (specially in mids comparing to the HFI-780) with mids something recessed or slightly... (compared to neutral), but more than that the HFI's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask my question here:

I'm coming from a Denon D2000 which is just too mellow for my tastes and the bass doesn't fit my liking. I'm almost positive that an Ultrasone is what I want. I listen to mainly bass-heavy music- rock, electronic, hip-hop, etc. Which would be best for me, the PRO750, PRO2500, or HFI-780? I'm leaning towards the PRO series because of the velour pads. I'm also using them semi-unamped (from a receiver).

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #1,907 of 2,328
Quote:

I'm coming from a Denon D2000 which is just too mellow for my tastes and the bass doesn't fit my liking. I'm almost positive that an Ultrasone is what I want. I listen to mainly bass-heavy music- rock, electronic, hip-hop, etc. Which would be best for me, the PRO750, PRO2500, or HFI-780? I'm leaning towards the PRO series because of the velour pads. I'm also using them semi-unamped (from a receiver).

Well, I've got the 780s and the PROline 2500s, and just going off the Creative soundcard in my pc at the moment, the 780 makes the 2500s sound absolutely pitiful in the bass department when it comes to things like metal, ambience, and techno (Pendulum, Juno Reactor, etc). However, the 2500s are, to me, still a great headphone.....I switch between the 780s and 2500s constantly, depending on what I'm listening to. The 2500s have a much less.....I'd say compressed presentation, but it's really like.....I guess the difference in wearing a shirt that's just big enough to fit, vs a nice comfy old loose shirt. The 2500 just seems to have a lot more space to it. However, it can't even hope to keep up with the 780s when it comes to speed - playing anything by, say, Turisas on the 2500s is almost physically painful.

The experienced guys are probably laughing at me, the noob, giving impressions, heh, but for what you'd like, and owning both, I'd say go for the 780s. The 2500s are great - but for totally different types of music. Allman Bros, Russian Circles, Porcupine Tree, anything acoustic, that sort of thing gets played with the 2500s. Anything metal (well, as commonly perceived as metal by normal people....metal categorization tends to get complex, and some stuff, like Within Temptation, or really any gothic metal with a good female lead goes to the 2500s), I listen to with the 780s.

Even just coming out of a 4 year old sound card, the 780s have lots of bass, while the 2500s don't. I'll have to retract my previous statements of the 780s not really being bass-heavy (I think they're balanced perfectly now) because I was doing most of my listening at work, off onboard audio.

Anyway, to cut that whole long rambling thing short, a metalhead noob who owns 780s and 2500s would say 780s for what you described.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #1,908 of 2,328
Quote:

I don't know what to recommend anymore, because the HFI780 can be bright but they smooth out with a new cable, while my Proline 2500 are more level-headed sounding but without pounding bass (although the 2500 bass is very good, the 780 has gobs more of it). I haven't tried the Proline 750, but that one is on my list of cans to try - it's basically a closed version of the 2500 that I have. The 2500 are open and leak a lot more sound to the outside than my Grados.

PS: The D2000 with the APureSound cable is less mellow and you might consider that - it makes them high end cans instead of mid-fi cans, IMHO.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #1,909 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the reason which i don't like the Denon D2000 (well in his stock form...), because of that; and that it doesn't had enough bass slam (less than a DT770pro/80 and lesser than an DT990 ed 2005) and the mids seem slightly recessed and with a treble very recessed (well, less than a Senneiser HD650)....
The HFi-780 is more aggressive sounding and it's comfortable (if your ears are small or medium size), even with his 'fake' leather (it's softer in reality). The pro 750 must be superior in bass (not slam) extension and texture (...quality in general), and in separation of instruments, but it can be a little laidback sounding (specially in mids comparing to the HFI-780) with mids something recessed or slightly... (compared to neutral), but more than that the HFI's.

I've all but eliminated the 2500, so now it's down to the 780 and 750. Which of the two do you think would be more of a 'fun' headphone? I'm all about fun when it comes to listening to music.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #1,910 of 2,328
I have an stock PROline2500 and an HFI-780 with the APS V3 re-cable. Depending on the mood and location decides what can I would use.

For relaxing on a Sunday morning w/ jazz playing I would pick the PROline 2500, same if I am working and need to be able to hear the phone ringing. To isolate myself or if in a crowded place then I would choose the HFI-780.

BTW, IMO the PROline 2500 is the more confortable of the two and since the HFI-780 needs to be re-cabled to sound its best that makes the PROline 2500 a cheaper can.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #1,911 of 2,328
Quote:

I've all but eliminated the 2500, so now it's down to the 780 and 750. Which of the two do you think would be more of a 'fun' headphone? I'm all about fun when it comes to listening to music.
biggrin.gif

I'd go with the 780; it's the more 'fun' of the two.

Proline 750
+Better texture and details
+Wider soundstage
+Better comfort; the earcups are bigger and the clamping isn't as strong.
-Can sound sibilant

HFI-780
+More fun sounding, it has a more forward presentation
+Bloaty Bass, great for bassheads
+No sibilance, either the highs are rolled off or Ultrasone fixed the issue
-Pleather earcups can get sweaty
-Bloaty Bass, it can overwhelm the mids and highs.

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #1,912 of 2,328
Just as user18 said, the HFI-780 is more fun/exciting and dynamic; except (not at all) that the HFI-780 is bloated in the bass and overwhelm the mids/highs [well, compared to the pro 750 in the same circumstances (with a song with much midbass and highbass)]. The pro 750 is a more conservative headphone.
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #1,913 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just as user18 said, the HFI-780 is more fun/exciting and dynamic; except (not at all) that the HFI-780 is bloated in the bass and overwhelm the mids/highs [well, compared to the pro 750 in the same circumstances (with a song with much midbass and highbass)]. The pro 750 is a more conservative headphone.

You've got your opinion and I have mine. I stand by what I've said.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #1,916 of 2,328
You can get them for 165 at Northensound.net Its where I ordred mine from last week. You have to create a account to get the massive discount. Its a one time fee of a 1.00 to get the account. TO me it was worth it.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #1,917 of 2,328
Ordered me up a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably keep my D2000's for the late night listening sessions when I want a more laid back sound, but something tells me the 780's will be my go-to can from now on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #1,918 of 2,328
Your should love them. one thing to remember, make sure you put them on your head right. Or your ear will hurt. I had mine on wrong for 3 days.

til I notice I had them leaning back on my head instead of straight up. they was like / on the top of my head instead of |

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #1,919 of 2,328
proper positioning on the head is a must for ultrasones

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #1,920 of 2,328
Are these headphones forgiving? A problem, to me at least, with the D2000's is they are too revealing of badly recorded tracks. I mean, it's cool that the headphones have a lot of detail, but only around 50% of my whole music collection sounds good with them. Can the Ultrasone make almost every track sound good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back