So What's the story with lurkers?
Jul 2, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #91 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
When I read posts I notice every now again there's a post by someone who has been a member for a few years but hardly posts. I understand they have "normal" lives and family commitments and other interests. But they hardly post.

I was just wondering why this is so. I would love to see them post their opinions and impressions more. And that is not to say they don't participate or have anything to offer. I think they do.

So what is it then?

IMO, there is a lot of redundancy here, thus my lack of posts for quite some time. I stop in and "lurk" from time to time, so I guess I'm one of those guys who lives a "normal" life.
wink.gif
Please, don't take this the wrong way, I really like Head-Fi, but you have to admit, there is a lot of repetition in the Member's Lounge.

Jul 2, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #92 of 117
well, unless all the lurkers came out and admit why they don't post then we will never know. I personally have been absent pretty much for the past 2/3 years, since i've hit my ceiling with my HiFi purchase, and happy with what i have. Add to that i have a lot of things going on in my life, add to that i did not have net connection in my room for the last year in college. The 1900+ post i have here are done way back ages ago, so some lurkers could be the same. they just signed up and just forgotten this board.

I do have 4000 and 12000 posts in other forums.

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #93 of 117
I have recently become somewhat of a lurker. I have 637 posts at the moment, but about a year ago, I had about 500. I just don't know as much about the various headphones as other people. I can't give helpful advice on headphone choices, and I have never had more than a little sample of expensive gear to discuss. I also don't have a job, so there's no money burning a hole in my pocket earmarked for headphone gear. I am very happy with my Grado SR-60s. Not looking to buy new stuff, there's not too much to post about. I do enjoy reading the forums, but often I don't have much to say. For me, going to a meet is better than posting.

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #95 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Well, the main reason I don’t post as often about equipment as I used too is because the quality of membership here has dropped so dramatically that there are times I look at Head-Fi as a joke.

Is that the reason why you respond the way you do, to serious questions?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #96 of 117
Quote:

Well, the main reason I don’t post as often about equipment as I used too is because the quality of membership here has dropped so dramatically that there are times I look at Head-Fi as a joke.

What a lovely thing to say. Of course, lurkers don't contribute to that problem, so if you agree, you love lurkers.

While lurkers can be disconcerting to those interested in a vibrant Head-Fi, or increased contributions, they really are a zero quantity. They add and subtract nothing from the overall situation. They're like the cotton packing at the top of a bottle of aspirin.

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #97 of 117
Quote:

What a lovely thing to say.

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes the truth hurts really bad.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Of course, lurkers don't contribute to that problem, so if you agree, you love lurkers.

No, I just think a person should keep his, or her mouth shut when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #98 of 117
Quote:

No, I just think a person should keep his, or her mouth shut when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Let us hope - fervently - that you remain in the minority with that opinion, lest many, many industries and institutions be dashed to oblivion.

Frankly, you have to make a few mistakes and speak beyond your means once in a while if you expect to learn anything at all. Head-Fi is no exception. Here's to lurkers, newbies, and anyone else who speaks without an encyclopedic knowledge of the subject. Cheers!

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #99 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
Let us hope - fervently - that you remain in the minority with that opinion, lest many, many industries and institutions be dashed to oblivion.

Frankly, you have to make a few mistakes and speak beyond your means once in a while if you expect to learn anything at all. Head-Fi is no exception. Here's to lurkers, newbies, and anyone else who speaks without an encyclopedic knowledge of the subject. Cheers!

You know, I was going to go back, and delete that post, but at the time I typed it I meant it, so it stays.
I will agree that there are times I can be too hard on some of the newer members, but believe me when I say, that the only thing I am trying to do is help them.

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #100 of 117
I seem to be a lurker.
Been visiting this site for quit a while now.
Mostly the only reason for me to post is when I see something go on for a while that bugs me.
CRESCENDOPOWER's post in another thread (and this one) seems to be the latest one.

I guess that's the real reason I'm hesitant to post, if someone chooses to be a unreasonable **** there's no way to relief that frustration. I for one can't stand it when someone shuts me out that way.

my 2ct's

Veto

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #101 of 117
Quote:

Frankly, you have to make a few mistakes and speak beyond your means once in a while if you expect to learn anything at all. Head-Fi is no exception

You can actually learn quite a bit by watching others mistakes.

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #102 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChenaynayC
I lurk daily! It's usually nice here. I've learned a lot and spent enough to be a real head-fier!

Your not a lurker, you just post less than you use to. Still enjoying the turntable and Gil Scott-Heron?

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #103 of 117
I'm still trying to be a lurker ... =) very difficult to resist hitting reply button.

In reality totally introvert so I disagree on introvert = lurker. Heck most audio hobbyist I know are of the silent type, but fight like hell when its about measurement vs 'sweet liquid midrange'.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #104 of 117
What is the quantitative definition of a lurker?

I mean, better a few well written thought out posts with something valuble then a bunch of useless ones.

Oh yeah, LOL, a smiley face, and ROTFL are not very useful post in case you did not know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back