So what's Sony's current flagship?
Jan 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 5
Sony doesn't use the term "flagship headphones" on its website or in its marketing.

It's highest priced headphones in Europe and the USA are the MDR Z1000's,
which are evidently not offered in the UK.
Sony's "Professional Division" lists the MDR 7520's as their top offering -
they appear to be identical to the Z1000's in almost all aspects.

The new MDR 1R's are featured as produced "in association with Sony Entertainment"
at about half the price.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Sony doesn't use the term "flagship headphones" on its website or in its marketing.

It's highest priced headphones in Europe and the USA are the MDR Z1000's,
which are evidently not offered in the UK.
Sony's "Professional Division" lists the MDR 7520's as their top offering -
they appear to be identical to the Z1000's in almost all aspects.

The new MDR 1R's are featured as produced "in association with Sony Entertainment"
at about half the price.

Aye. And aren't the Z1000 discontinued? (They are in the US at least; 7520 still exists)

In the US we have the ANC 1Rs which are around $500. If you knock those out of the running, it would between the 1R and the X10. I think the Z1000/7520 is probably a better "pick" as a TOTL though; my understanding was that the Z1000 was meant to be Sony's attempt at true hi-fi and replacing the MDR-SA5000. But who knows - they've cycled through product lines and styles so many times in the last year and a half it's kind of disgusting.

I'll also throw out there - there isn't a single unifying Sony "house sound" across all of their headphones, they will have a product series (like MDR-SA) that will have some commonalities, but across the entire berth of their products there isn't as much consistency.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 5
I think they quit the flagship game after the SA lineup. Kind of sad that they did, they were definitely capable of making good headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back