So, what's going on with the AKG K1000 Market?
Mar 30, 2006 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pawlowski6132

Banned
In the last three months I've seen, in various venues, these cans sell anywhere from $400 to over $800 used.

What's the story? What do people think the future is for these? Will existing NOS, if any, continue to rise in value?? Will they be upstaged by new products and die slowly? Will they continue to stand up to new market entries and retain their value??

What do you think???

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 15
I haven't seen any for $400 used... they must get snapped up fast at that price!

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 15
$400? Wow, I'll buy more if I see some there.

It's hard to tell how the market will shake out. While I will absolutely buy more headphones (of course), I can't see selling these. I'd wager that a lot of other K-1000 owners feel the same way. So people who want them and can't buy them might start paying more.

Another variable is AKG itself. I'm sure management there is smart enough to keep an eye on the market. If demand jumps, they can make more.

And still another variable. There are whispers of Sennheiser bringing out a HD-700 (or whatever they call it) with a new transducer. Maybe it'll surpass the K-1000 and a lower price, thus killing a lot of demand.

So who knows? But if you see one at a fair price and are curious, pick it up. They're terrific.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 15
I bought mine in January for $500 - and they were basically unused. Just before resellers started to run out of stock. It was good purchase...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Three words: Supply and Demand.

I believe that they will hold or appreciate in value.

They compete with or beat every new headphone that has been released.

-Matt

I completely agree!

As far as the comment above about the Senn 700 or whatever beating it for a lower price. The Senns would have to become much more musical, much faster, and throw a much bigger soundstage then the 600/650, and then maybe.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Three words: Supply and Demand.

I believe that they will hold or appreciate in value.

They compete with or beat every new headphone that has been released.

-Matt

Supply? there was ~12,000 made, I think that will keep a reasonable cap on their re-sale value.

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 15
Theres a few boutique audio shops that still have multiple pairs left that are willing to sell them for much less than the MSRP ($1000), I've spoke to one that is willing to do $800 for a brand new pair. The K1000 really has a pretty niche market, other than Headfi and studio engineers I really can't see that much demand for such an inefficient headphone.

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
How many R10s are there?

around 1200 were made. actual number from what I know is just a tad below that figure.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Still these things are starting to become somewhat rare. I was able to purchase a new one recently (by luck!)
k1000smile.gif
I would estimate the market value of them rising in the next couple of months. Though I think on average atm they range from about $600-$1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back