So what IEM's will sound something like ATH-AD900's ?
Aug 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Visor31

New Head-Fier
I have only recently started using headphones, purchased some ATH-AD900's and love the new detail I am discovering in music.

They are connected to my computer through a USB Musiland MD10 DAC I had lying around, mainly FLAC and APE,

Now looking to get some IEM's for use with iPod, iPad, or iPhone, but may have to look to something to directly use FLAC as converting is a PITA.

The question is are there any IEM's will give a sound anything like the ATH-AD900's ? 

Not looking to spend large $'s, up to say $150, but prefer something closer to $ 100 ?

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Sony EX600(highely recommended) are very detailed in mids n highs with deep punchy bass and EX510 are also very good  IEMs.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 9
I own the re-0 and the ad700s. The main draw for me in the ad700s is the wide soundstage and the feeling of music coming from all directions. The re-0s, being iems, can't pull this off and all instruments sound like they are more squished together. This is more noticeable in orchestral pieces or live recordings. In terms of sound signature, the re0 have a bit stronger bass and the mids are more aggressive-sounding. However, I read the ad900s mids are not as recessed as ad700s so ymmv. Overall, I prefer the laid back sound of the ad700s but the re0 are adequate when on the go, sleeping, or I really feel I need to rock out.

you may also want to check out the phonak pfe v2. I owned the original for a while and really enjoyed the sound. hope this helps.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 9
I just recently (this week!) got a pair of AD900's, so I was curious enough about your question to just have a listen right now.

Of the IEM's I have, the one that sounded closest (and it was actually surprisingly close) was my pair of RE0's. However, I use my RE0's with Monster hybrid foam tips, and my pair also have has some more foam stuffed into the nozzle than stock, both of which add to the warmth of the sound. I'd imagine stock RE0's to still sound quite similar to AD900's, and the other overall characteristics - transparency and smoothness are quite similar.

This makes me suspect that a stock RE252 would also sound quite similar, and while I have a pair of RE252's I don't want to mislead you with a completely irrelevant comparison because they are heavily modded to the point where they probably don't sound anything like they did originally.

My friend has a pair of RE-Zeros, and from memory, they sound like sweeter RE0's, so again they would probably be quite similar.

The second most similar IEM would probably be the Ortofon EQ-5, though the Ortofon is both out of your stated price range, and also is a great deal more dark in terms of sound. However if you wanted something similar to the AD900's but darker they are close.

I didn't really try anything else because I know nothing else I own would really sound similar heh.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 9
RE-0 seem like a good choice..... but being a little impatient, while I was thinking of going with the Re-0's, there seems to be a quality problem with the glue in Oz at the moment, so went for the M3's, could be a little more bass than RE-0 from all reports, but need for a trip in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the input.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
RE-0 seem like a good choice..... but being a little impatient, while I was thinking of going with the Re-0's, there seems to be a quality problem with the glue in Oz at the moment, so went for the M3's, could be a little more bass than RE-0 from all reports, but need for a trip in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the input.

No worries, glad to help out another Aussie :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back