So what does everyone think of their Shure E4[c] then?
Jul 18, 2005 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

setmenu

Strongly opposes a DBT-free chair forum.
As an ER4 user I was more than curious about these canal phones and have
read a number of views about them here.
I have recently obtained a couple of pairs of these phones, one pair for me and
one for my partner to use with her Iriver HD340.

My initial experience with these single armature iem style phones [both makes]
have tended to be one of ouch!
Peaky mids slight top end roll off and lack of low end weight.
As for fit, well I love em , with a preference for the ER4 straight in approach.
Foamies are the order of the day as far as comfort ,seal and sound go.

Is it just me or do others here find these phones tend to sound as I describe?

I have found the initial sound of the E4's to be even harder on the ears than
then my unmodded ER4,s.
eek.gif

Views?

Setmenu

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Out of iPod - sound like poop.
Out of X5 - sounds as good as the HD650. (but still has that congested IEM feel)

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Re E4[c]
How about sibilance etc?
For starters I have found that for my ears a reduction in the 9.5khz region works wonders to clean things up.

[Yep I am messing with my filter board again folks...
redface.gif
]

Setmenu

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Those were my initial impressions, particularly with the grey tips. They really smoothed out after a few days though. Initially I thought it was entirely to do with my switch to the foam tips, but it seems that I find the other tips more tollerable now as well. Don't get me wrong, I still find the silicone tips to be a bit on the harsh side, but they are more tollerable than they were. Give them a few days before making any decisions.

As for sibilance, I commented about this in another thread, but to me, while using the foam tips, they have incredible sibilance control. I was very impressed for example, that I could listen to Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Greatest Hits" with a big smile on my face, rather than the general grimace I get because it's recorded so hot.

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Hi Jasper994
Quite honestly I find that harshness very off putting,I have been listening to them for about a week now ,admittedly using the foamies for most of the time.
I cannot imagine them smoothing out on their own.

You say they are "more tolerable than they were" .
I prefer not to have to 'tolerate' my phones but it seems you are also enjoying them.

I guess must have peaky ears judging by the issues I keep having with IEMs.
blink.gif

Setmenu

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 10
maybe you should give the triflanges a try. They will soften the harsh highs and help out with sibilance control.

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi DJGeorgeT
Thanks for the suggestion, I had not really considered using them due to the fact that I find them pretty unpleasant to use the the ER4's.
But I did follow your advice and quickly tried some of the ety tri flanges I had at hand, [I will also dig out the shure tri flanges and give them a try] they do appear to sound a little better with some aspects but at the expense of loosing a bit of warmth or some hardening of the sound.

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
Hi DJGeorgeT
Thanks for the suggestion, I had not really considered using them due to the fact that I find them pretty unpleasant to use the the ER4's.
But I did follow your advice and quickly tried some of the ety tri flanges I had at hand, [I will also dig out the shure tri flanges and give them a try] they do appear to sound a little better with some aspects but at the expense of loosing a bit of warmth or some hardening of the sound.

try the shure tri flanges. They have a long stem and may sound different from the ety ones (you can cut the stem little by little to experiment with the changes in sound signature).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back