So what are the opinions on the k701?
Nov 23, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

grape ape

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure that I could have done some searching and answer this question but, you see, I'm afflicted with laziness and absolutely cannot. It's a horrible affliction that infects 99 out of 100 forum goers and as of this time, there is no cure.

I do have a semi-legitimate reason for asking this question now however. I kept up on these cans early in their release and a little later on. I saw the initial FotM craze and then it's disillusionment. I think that sufficient amount of time has passed where I can get honest opinions from both it's fans and its detractors.

If you've owned or own a pair of these ear salamis tell how you feel about them. What do you like? What do you dislike? Amped? unamped?

I won't be getting a balanced rig in the foreseeable future but you can leave your thoughts for that 1% that actually use the search function and treat this place like a community resource rather than a place that you crap up with repetitive posts.

Thanks a million buckaroos!

Aaron

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 23
Are you referring to the AKG K701?
From what I've heard, they are very accurate, neutral, not very bassy even though it extends low, good imaging, but requires a decent amp. You will need someone to hardwire a new cable to these if you want them balanced, and if they do it one sided, the L/R wires will be uneven lengths.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 23
This thread started badly, and isn't getting any better. I'm going to do a search now for the 13,643 previous posts about k701's and link them in this thread, just to help out.

Back in a minute!

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 23
I'm glad you guys liked ear salamis. I often times don't know if I'm just making a fool of myself or if I"m making a fool of myself in a way that's enjoyable.

Edit, that's too bad about the whole amp dependency. I do have a decent pre-amp/headphone amp in my home rig but I will also be using these with my sansa clip+ quite a bit too. I know they're garish headphones but like I said; I often times don't know when I'm making a fool of myself. Fortunately for me geeky girls find it charming.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 23
They are one of the geekier headphones.
My hd650s are hard to drive and sound pants straight out of my iPod video (only recently discovered this, as I've been using my P3+ except when the batteries ran out).
You won't get decent volume or battery life with a Clip, and also given that the K701s are open, they aren't really outside phones.
I recommend getting an amp, although it'll probably be bigger than the Clip. I'm just imagining the Clip strapped to the back of a Lisa III and it's PSU hehe.

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 23
Well I just got back from a mini Head-Fi meet. I thought for a fact that there would be at worst one pair to hear on an uber ss amp.

We maybe talking history here as even as it was a small meet, there were none. It did not even come up in talks? Maybe people are totally over them? HD 800, 650s, no k701s.

I would have brought a pair as I like them. I was afraid of bringing too much.

They do not have enough bass in my system even with all I have done. I do really like the sound signature. I think they may be best at ss amps. My plan is to try and match an external sub to get the bass. Just a home theater affair to get low end everywhere and into the back of the phones and into your ear! They do vocals really well, maybe better than anything made. They are fast, have soundstage, they are a non fatigue device too. I like how they fit and feel. Just not major authority on any amp I have yet to find.

So we hear of cable redos. Heck they would almost be the perfect phenomena phone. What hype when they came out! High rez detail, clear as friken heck. No one could notice the lack of bass due to major detail! I do really love them, that is why I even own a back-up pair. If I could only have one phone, I would feel I was missing out. If I did not own the k701s I would feel I was missing out. The price you can buy them for makes them a dreal now! Even with their shortcommings they are a deal. Just not perfect.

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 23
I've owned both the 701 and 702 (after breaking down and giving the 701 to my brother who kept taking them from me). I really thought that they were great headphones but needed way too much power to sound their best (meaning that they sound thin and lifeless without one). When I originally got the 701 I tried to put off spending a couple hundred bucks on an amp just for them. At first I went commando and ran the 701s straight through my preamp; then I tried EQing them through iTunes; then I threw a Total AirHead into the mix... needless to say the results were disastrous.

I would not underestimate the posts that say you will need a powerful amp. Though, I wouldn't worry much about the 300+ hours of burn-in time. The 702s sounded great out of the box with a Headroom Desktop Amp.

In trying to scale down the amount of stuff that I have, the amp was the first to go; the 702 was the second.

The only other headphones that I liked more were the HD600 (I found that they are driven nicely straight from my Rotel Preamp) and the Grado GS1000, which don't need an amp at all, are my favorite of the three, and the ones that I ended up keeping.

If you are interested in the 702, you should really factor in the cost of an amp. Otherwise, I'd look into the HD600 (re-cabled), which you can find used on this site or on Audiogon for a good price.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back