So THICK cables sound good ? I HAVE 6 GAUGE !
Jul 19, 2005 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
SO i got tired of reading all the speaker cable reviews and DIY speaker recipes and told my dad about them . He being an Electrical Engineer told me tto get a 12awg and forget about everything else.

since i had bought 12 awg wires and my speakers being biwirable;i thought "why not using another pair of 12 gauge ?" .
k1000smile.gif

I now have one 12 awg running from the tweeter and another from the mid-woofer.I guess that totals up to 6 gauge
smily_headphones1.gif

__________________________________________________ ______________
Results :
Old 24 gauge wire : Lack of Bass control.Slightly thin sounding highs.

New 6 gauge : The midbass has come to LIFE !! The thin highs are also poof !
Price:
15 US Dollars for 16 meters.
Brand:
Monster Cable made in Germany.

Me HAPPY !

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 43
Well, it works slightly differently. 12ga wire has a diameter of 2.38mm, for an area of 4.45 square mm or 8.9 square mm for two pieces. 6ga wire has a diameter of 5.64mm for an area of about 25 square mm. Two 12ga wires is about 9ga. Sorry to bust your bubble, but 9ga effective is still single digits. While referring to my chart, did you know that a single 12ga wire can support 200 pounds?

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 43
I would but my dad would call me crazy.
tongue.gif

Now since my speaker only has BIG spring clip terminals,should i solder the wire ends with some tin-lead solder to keep them from oxidising ?

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 43
its not just in the gauge. i tried some 4 gauge orion power cables for the car battery as speaker cables and they sucked. no dynamics. slow sounding. I believe that as long as you go for thick enough cables for your power rating, thats fine. If you have a 15 watt tube amp for example, I would spend more on a high quality 22 gauge silver cable than an ordinary 12 gauge copper cable. If you have a 200 watter then the 22 gauge will be restricting and its fine quality will only be heard at low levels

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
I would but my dad would call me crazy.
tongue.gif

Now since my speaker only has BIG spring clip terminals,should i solder the wire ends with some tin-lead solder to keep them from oxidising ?

Not if it can be avoided.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
SO i got tired of reading all the speaker cable reviews and DIY speaker recipes and told my dad about them . He being an Electrical Engineer told me tto get a 12awg and forget about everything else.

Smart guy, your dad.

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
No, he's calling snake oil fanatics crazy.

Something like that. I was in no way attempting to make fun of your dad--I meant it as I wrote it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 43
The one quantitative advantage of using thicker speaker cables is that it helps to preserve the damping factor of your amp over long cable runs.

As an example, a typical speaker amp may have an output impedance of 0.1 ohms, giving a damping factor of 80.

If you run 20 feet of generic 17-gauge speaker wire (I'll use Canare 4S6 as an example), the cables end up having a resistance of 0.456 ohms. Hence, the damping factor of your amp+cables is now only 8/(0.1+0.456) = 14.4. That's somewhat of a waste of what your amp can do.

In contrast, if you run 20 feet of 11-gauge wire (e.g. Canare 4S11), the resistance is only 0.104 ohms, yielding a damping factor of 39.2. That's a lot better.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a powerful, sophisticated amp like a Bryston, with a very high damping factor (e.g. over 200) and use it with thin, long speaker cables. That's just throwing performance away. But for most people, with average cable length runs, 12 gauge wire should be fine.

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Smart guy, your dad.

I think your dad is smart, too.

People who aren't willing to submit themselves to real comparisons aren't interested in saving you money. They're interested in spending your money.

-Matt

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 43
I remember discussing cable thickness with Larry at Headphile (in his pre-Headphile) days and he mentioned that there is such a thing as time-error which increases with cable thickness. Like all conduits, depending on the quantum of current it needs to carry, an ideal cable should be large enough to carry the entire current without disortion yet not too large. For most people equipping a home audio system and not Wembley stadium (or Shea) 22G silver cable is probably good enough.

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
its not just in the gauge. i tried some 4 gauge orion power cables for the car battery as speaker cables and they sucked. no dynamics. slow sounding. I believe that as long as you go for thick enough cables for your power rating, thats fine. If you have a 15 watt tube amp for example, I would spend more on a high quality 22 gauge silver cable than an ordinary 12 gauge copper cable. If you have a 200 watter then the 22 gauge will be restricting and its fine quality will only be heard at low levels

Yup, I've used 4 awg welding cable to experiment. These things make horrible speaker cables, as they sound dead, dead, dead.

I even tried it for subwoofer applications, which some audio mag recommended. You know what, even for subwoofer, this wire makes dead-sounding bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back