So the only modded DAP is the IMOD?
Jul 5, 2008 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Podtweaker

100+ Head-Fier
I see many inquiries about whether anyone has come out w/ an LOD for other players but no one seems to be curious about what mods can be done to improve their players. I received an Ipod as a Christmas present a few years back(hence, my username) & not until recently did I explore other players. It turns out I prefer the sound quality of a couple of the other players . None of the companies making the DAPs are audiophile oriented companies so it stands to reason that it shouldn't be that difficult to improve upon these massed produced players. Come on guys, these are computer & mid-fi companies making these things . The encouraging thing about it is that some of the stock players sound pretty good as is . Is there any way we can shame RWA into looking at other players that sound pretty good to begin with ?

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAP and audiophile can't be placed in same sentence, no matter how bad someone wants it.

It could be done, but the market for it would be too small for most companies to bother with.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be done, but the market for it would be too small for most companies to bother with.

That is why I specifically mentioned the "IMOD". The truth of the matter is most companies are ill suited to do this kind of work. If the "IMOD" exists why not others , are the "IMODs" flying off the shelf ? Modders do you see where I'm going with this ? If that is the case then my hat is off to you, if not , broadening your technical horizons should'nt be that difficult. Why just offer "Apples" when there could be other things in your basket.

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 16
The iMod in my opinion is only slightly bettr than the iPod Touch (no, not iTouch). The iPod Touch uses a Wolfson DAC and has been mentoned here many times as having higher levels of "hiss" than the iMod. I have not found that to be true, and while slightly better, the iMod is not head and shoulders better than stock.

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 16
The iMod provides an improvement by taking the audio signal directly off the DAC chip and replacing the tiny and low-value surface-mount DC coupling capacitors with capacitors better suited for use in the signal path. I can't say with certainty how much this actually improves the sound, but remember the law of diminishing returns. Eventually you reach a point to where you're paying 100% more for a 10% (or less) increase in performance.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAP and audiophile can't be placed in same sentence, no matter how bad someone wants it.

You actually just did it...

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

The iMod provides an improvement by taking the audio signal directly off the DAC chip and replacing the tiny and low-value surface-mount DC coupling capacitors with capacitors better suited for use in the signal path. I can't say with certainty how much this actually improves the sound, but remember the law of diminishing returns. Eventually you reach a point to where you're paying 100% more for a 10% (or less) increase in performance.

Well said.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know some people did their own mods similar to the imod (replacing caps) with the line out of the iriver ihp-120/140

Thanks, I'm starting to lean that way a bit. Oh, by the way if you don't use the stock earbuds that came w/ your player you are applying some "audiophile" mentallity to your portable rig useage. As far as whether or not a mod is worth the expense is a personal value choice that isn't directed toward someone who doesn't 'get' the concept of tweaks.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Sorry, I could'nt pass this one up . How did you determine the increase in performance percentage if you can't say w/ certainty how much the sound is improved ? I would'nt think that performance increase has a universally applicable value unless (& this is important) everyone subscribes to the same value system . I "can't say w/ certainty", but this probably not the case as witnessed by this response.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 16
I can't say with certainty because I've never listened to an iMod or diyMod iPod. Others who have heard both can tell you more.

The law of diminishing returns is a generic axiom applied to technology of all types. It fits in the world of audiophiles as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back