So, the Objective2 headphone amp - designed entirely around the measurements? (PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)
Aug 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #466 of 1,042

Quote:
12-20db of headroom is the general rule of thumb. 

Until it runs into digital clipping. 

Yeah I suppose- it's just that it seems there is always a question about gain from someone and the advice is always something anecdotal and often the source (DAC) isn't even cited.  I may take all this info and see if I can create something useful w/ it for people new to DIY and who lack an understanding of how to correctly set their gain.  Does it seem worth the time to do?

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #467 of 1,042

Quote:
Or you could simply use Replaygain. :wink:

Would that be "audiophile" ?
atsmile.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #469 of 1,042

Quote:
I may take all this info and see if I can create something useful w/ it for people new to DIY and who lack an understanding of how to correctly set their gain.  Does it seem worth the time to do?

It seems like a cool writeup. 

A few months ago the DIYaudio newsletter and a thread afterwards were about setting up your system's gain structure. Very cool. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #471 of 1,042

Quote:
Isn't that, like, cheating..?

I replay gain my collection, and why not?  Retain dynamic range and control volume easily so you don't blow your eardrums switching from one album to the next.  Just make sure you use the proper player with the tracks and it's not an issue.

Quote:
Until it runs into digital clipping. 

Replay gain in Foobar can prevent clipping according to peak - usually considered the preferred method too.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #472 of 1,042

Quote:

I replay gain my collection, and why not?  Retain dynamic range and control volume easily so you don't blow your eardrums switching from one album to the next.  Just make sure you use the proper player with the tracks and it's not an issue.

Replay gain in Foobar can prevent clipping according to peak - usually considered the preferred method too.

It sure works for me!
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #473 of 1,042
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I use foobar replaygain, I'll even EQ if need be. I never agreed that great sound has to be difficult to achieve to be worthwhile.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #474 of 1,042
I'm not familiar with the ReplayGain algorithm, but the value in dB it outputs after a scan is some kind of measure of average (averaged how?) perceived loudness I presume. 

Some albums reach -15dB (15dB above target level) or more required on ReplayGain, while some quiet ones are like +10dB.  Well, there are tracks significantly softer than the average in some albums, say even +20dB even for popular music back in the day.  Taking extreme cases, we're looking at something like 30 to 40dB difference between two different non-joke tracks, as a reference.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #475 of 1,042
Crikey, didn't see this thread here.

I just thought I'd pop over to mention that I am indeed hosting a group buy. It will be ending at the end of this month so don't dawdle - get signing up! I've noticed one or two head-fi members have already placed some orders :)

For those who want an O2 but don't want to build it? Be patient :wink:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/194708-o2-headphone-amplifier-gb.html

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #476 of 1,042

Quote:

I just thought I'd pop over to mention that I am indeed hosting a group buy. It will be ending at the end of this month so don't dawdle - get signing up! I've noticed one or two head-fi members have already placed some orders :)

Yeah, I bought two boards.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #477 of 1,042

Quote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to chuck the whole battery concept and just concentrate on a desktop?  Fewer compromises that way, no? 

+1

Quote:

How does the group buy work for those of us in the US?

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #479 of 1,042
I've signed up for two boards. I guess the proof will be in the pudding. Be warned though. The only sophisticated measuring tools I posses are my ears. I will AB with my Sony CDP-397 transport through the headphone out on Sony STR-V200 receiver and directly from the transport alone. Not really a fair battle. I will try to make it as objective as possible.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back