1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

So, the Objective2 headphone amp - designed entirely around the measurements? (PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last
  1. Shike
    Quote:

Then do an RMAA with both amps to compare?  Fail to see what the problem is yet again - and there's already people with similar gear to his that have mentioned reaffirming the measurements are factual.  I fail to see how another design, especially if it performs as the measurements show, is a bad thing.

As for RMAA measurements, I'm not too enthusiastic.  They work, but just for the minimal amount.  I will say though that when I fixed my dummy load and tested the mini^3 RMAA did report the correct crosstalk . . . around -40dB.

2. SpaceTimeMorph
    He is not cheating with the Mini^3, he is trying to create a different amp altogether.  Fact is, to the best of my knowledge, there really isn't an amp that directly compares to this one; the mini^3 really isn't very close anyway and I don't personally agree with comparing.  This amp is also designed to compete as a desktop amp as well and is designed to drive just about any non-electrostatic, non AKG-1000 style headphone.

Dropping to a single 9-V won't work because then you will have the virtual ground issues that crop up; which would violate the engineering premise behind the build.  You could utilize a small dual lion design or a multi-cell lion, however, that would violate the design premise of being an accessible amp for new DIY'ers.

Isn't a manufacturer/designer that has made exhaustive measurements (not these, mind you) way better than a sales pitch with little to no factual bearing?  Simply put, there is enough information on his website to reliably recreate the tests he has made to check for accuracy (I really want to see those as well).  Furthermore, he has been actively engaged in promoting independent tests of this product to further reinforce the objective measurements.

Does the designer have a stake in this?... yes, all designers do (for better or for worse).  Did he use a relatively inaccessible piece of equipment to measure the amp?... yes (what was he supposed to use, RMAA?).  Is this amp really $30... no, it is stated very clearly the entire amp can be had for just under $100 with shipping costs.

Finally, in blind listening tests, this amp has been indistinguishable from the Benchmark DAC1 Pre.  Couple this with the fact that there are manufacturers (don't know who yet) in waiting willing to sell a finished PCB so that a person only needs an enclosure and a screwdriver to finish the amp, and I fail to see the problem with the amp.  All it needs is good, reliable peer review on the amp and all is well in the world, so to speak.

3. Willakan
    The closest direct alternative to the Mini3, if you're hung up on size, that he's measured, is a CMOY off ebay. That still beat the mini3 by his numbers (admittedly it did require modification to change the default gain of 0[​IMG])

As to NwAvGuy's measurements, they are comprehensive, they don't cheat to make his design appear falsely wonderful but are pretty impressive regardless and reliable people like Tyll Hertsens are interested in verifying their accuracy. What's not to like? He's giving away his design - many more people designing amps who would rather not let anyone get hold of their PCB files don't get their motivations questioned from the off, so why should he?

4. mikeaj
    Well, as mentioned, you could do DC-DC conversion off of a single battery or something else.  These are all compromises though, both in performance and battery life (potentially cost too?) vs. size.

Anyway, the battery/power protections in the current design look pretty interesting and functional.

5. i_djoel2000

Quote:

still worth nothing if it really competes with benchmark DAC1's amp section [​IMG]

i'm sure someone is already ordering pcb to a website, i just hope he sees my post and take me within his order [​IMG]

6. Mong0
    I think it is pretty funny how some people are trying to turn all the work and documentation around by posting a reply of 10 lines against his book on the website. It is pretty clear who is the more credible, he has accounted for ALOT of stuff with theories which has consensus in the electrical engineering business(just not the audio business), but anyway.

The point of using the dScope is not to block itself against other amps, but just to provide detailed and thrustworthy measurements. If anyone wants to disapprove the O2 all they would have to do is get him an amp and im sure he will be more than happy to measure it for comparing.

Besides, i thought this thread was about discussing the amps design and not trying to set a house on fire which havent been built yet.

7. Anaxilus
    I think everyone is interested in this project including myself.  I'd order a PCB myself to hear this thing.  Once again there is nothing wrong w/ data or people asking questions.  What is wrong is level of sensitivity some people seem to have.  It's really amazing.  Let's just stick to the amp and getting the thing built, tested and listened to.

8. qusp Contributor

Quote:

exactly the first thing i said too. i probably wont build one unless its as a pressie for a friend or something, but i might steal that psu at some stage haha

also, for the record, i have already registered my reservations on the ethics, or rather tactics and motivation behind the design and his previous agendas, so i'm not going to repeat them here, but the design itself is an interesting one, not so much interesting to me personally, but interesting all the same

9. Currawong Contributor

Quote:

Do you know who he is? You know what? Nobody does. Not only that, he has gone to extensive effort to hide his identity. Maybe you should wonder why. 

Quote:

RMAA isn't the be-all and end-all of measurements and wont tell you everything about how an amp behaves when playing music. If only it were that simple. Personally, I'd like to see some square wave output off a scope at least, under different loads, but I'm sure we'll get to that at some stage anyway.

Quote:

Indeed. Ironically this is one of those times where I think subjective impressions of building and listening would be more interesting. This thread will inevitably go the way of threads such as the HD-800 and T1 threads where there was much noise before anyone gets an amp going.

Again, if anyone missed it, I want to build one as a transportable amp to take into the local stores to try headphones with if it performs with as much linearity as claimed.

10. Soaa-

Quote:

Fallacy: ad hominem.
    Claim: dubious amplifier design.
    Argument: designer's identity unknown.

Lurkumaural likes this.
  11. nikongod

Quote:

Cura was quoting a section regarding the designer's possible motives, and knowing his identity could be important in that. 

Id jokingly say I wonder if its Why the lucky stiff, but why could actually write things people read. 

12. Satellite_6
    What's wrong with wanting to remain anonymous on the internet? What's wrong with an agenda based on solid evidence? 

13. kwkarth

Quote:

I think your post is pretty good.  I was thinking something similar myself.  Rather than reading about other's opinion about reading about reading about the amp design, I would like to start reading about how the amp sounds...

14. Citan
    The amp shouldn't "sound" like anything.

15. Soaa-

Quote:

Words of wisdom! A perfect amp does not draw attention to itself.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last