So long eBay, it was good knowing you
Jul 4, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion would be try and find a pen forum lol and sell there.

The Fountain Pen Network -> For Sale: Pens, inks, etc.

Then again there is nothing else like head-fi

Thanks for the link. The problem with this though lies in the fact that it's such a pain building up a reputation on a new board. I could of course, link them to other sites and my feedback there. I'll probably look in to it tomorrow.

In all honesty, I do agree with you in that there is nothing like Head-Fi. I have never had a single transaction I wasn't 100% happy with here. If there is something audio related I'm looking for it's ALWAYS my first stop. A-gon is good, but I've had some shaky transactions there. Head-Fi is the only board I actually give money to without being forced to (I'd never just toss a few bucks eBay's way for no good reason) and it's because I believe in the people here and the people running the show. If only eBay could understand this principle

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you would be surprised? Ebay appears to be much more refined than craigslist, yet people are still people when it comes down to it. And craigslist does not charge you a fee! I'm just speaking from the good experiences I've had on craigslist (thus far).

By the way, I live near ebay's facilities, and they have ample lawn for burning if you so desire those services
wink.gif

Yeah, for no fee I have nothing to lose. Have you sold anything out of the norm successfully?
I mean, I'm sure I'd be able to sell a PS3 or have sex with 2 transvestites and a donkey, no problem, but could I sell something that only a handful of people are really in to?

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, for no fee I have nothing to lose. Have you sold anything out of the norm successfully?
I mean, I'm sure I'd be able to sell a PS3 or have sex with 2 transvestites and a donkey, no problem, but could I sell something that only a handful of people are really in to?

Indeed, I believe you are correct. Craiglist can feed you directly into the underbelly of humankind if you seek it.

I have not sold anything out of the ordinary, but like I said... it never hurts to test the waters when no strings are attached. I should tell you that I found my current job, as well as some other small gigs, and a future job, on craigslist. So if you read postings carefully and don't disclose too much information about yourself, there is little risk.

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #19 of 26
What are you lot moaning about?

Ebay has had to constantly change and adapt to protect you from the inifinite number of a**hole scammers that have materalised over the years (and protecting you from scammers makes them money, obviously).

You really think they don't want your money?

If they could, they'd let list whatever you felt like. But, 10+ years of experience has told them that's a bad idea and they're limiting you to 5 high risk items per month, for now.

Why don't you go to the ebay forums and ask how long it takes for the limits on high risk items to be lifted?

rolleyes.gif

EK

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #20 of 26
Ebay's gone down the poop hole. Their new feedback system is asinine. They now only allow buyers to leave bad feedback. What!! That will only encourage more deadbeat bidders who will not fear any repercussions. It is the seller's who make Ebay rich with all the ridiculous fees and charges Ebay imposes.

I'm also a powerseller on Ebay but have drastically reduced my listings.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or have sex with 2 transvestites and a donkey, no problem

Hmmm... this craigslist, it interests me.

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are u thinking of selling your username?

You can sell your username and feedback? Man, that sounds illegal as hell.

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can sell your username and feedback? Man, that sounds illegal as hell.

It's not through eBay, obviously. Some guy says he's looking to get out of the website, someone else offers him a chunk of change for his password to the account. I never really thought about it happening, but it's easy enough to do if the original member is compliant.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #24 of 26
Perhaps seeking pen aficionado sites may be a good idea, but it may not be practical if it follows the (unfortunately necessary) guidelines such as found in the buy/sell forum here. It might take a lot of effort to wait around the desired amount of time and have posted the desired amount of posts to get posting access to the area. Mind you, I am not critical and actually trying to interject here and there in Head-Fi so that if I see something I want or have something to sell, I will have taken preemptive measures to have the access to do so.

I feel the frustration with eBay. I am a buyer and not a seller (since 1997), but the way they are heading will only scare away sellers, especially the higher end or niche ones since buyers seem to be increasingly immune from acting poorly.

Be well,
Rob - Long Beach, NY

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #25 of 26
The prospect of losing a source for hard to find audio components is certainly an eye-opener. I have seen some sellers that I purchased from in the past, pack their bags. I'm guessing because of the difficulty sellers are having now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back