So long eBay, it was good knowing you
Jul 4, 2008 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Jussei

1000+ Head-Fier
So after a little over 8 years, I think I'm going to say goodbye to my longtime friend, eBay. We had some good times together, I made a decent amount of money and I made them a fine chunk while doing so, but now it's evident eBay is a major a-hole of a friend that really doesn't understand how business works.

Here's my eBay background...
I've been a member since the beginning of 2000. Over 1500 positive feedback and a total of 3 negative (2 were from buyers who were quick to jump the gun and one from a seller who never contacted me about payment). I'm a powerseller (not by choice, it just happened because I sell some fairly high dollar items and maintain excellent feedback), I've had a total of two claims filed against me in 8+ years, both were damage caused during shipment and both were dealt with in less than 24 hours by my refunding of all or nearly all the payment and taking a loss to keep the customer happy (both were $100+ losses by me). On eBay's stupid new 'star rating' system, all my stars are at 4.8 or above (out of 5). I've had 100% positive feedback for the past 3 years.

Now, here's where they infuriated me tonight...
Over the past year, I've amassed quite a collection of pens (fountain, BP, etc. etc). Head-Fi got me hooked somehow. Anyway, I decided that it's time to go a different route. I've got a bunch of money wrapped up in them and they sit on a shelf. Anyway, I sat down and made detailed writeups for each one, took tons of pictures and prepared to list them with Garagesale. The process took me about 5 hours and I intentionally did it tonight so I could list them 10 day and have them end on Sunday. I was listing a total of 12 hoping that someone would maybe want a couple and I could save them on shipping and save some time myself. Everything is going as planned through the first 5 then, bam! no more, eBay says I'm not trustworthy. I read over the page I was sent to and eBay only trusts me to list 5 pens per month. If everything turns out alright, they'll be kind enough to let me list 5 next month and may even raise my limit if I'm extra nice with sugar on top! What??? Over the past two years I've sold around $25,000 worth of stuff. 3 years ago I sold a $10,000 motorcycle and a $5500 Jeep. No problems, no complaints and eBay/Paypal has probably made around $6000 from my efforts these past few years, but now they don't trust me to sell around $1400 worth of pens?
I understand the big blowup about the designer bags or whatever recently, but I don't think it's a good business practice to ostracize your best sellers. Not to sound egotistical, but sellers like me are the only thing keeping eBay afloat (I'm sure most all Head-fiers that sell on eBay are doing the same thing as well with their good and fair business practices). When you let a few crooks determine your business model that "no one is to be trusted," you really undermine the whole idea that eBay was originally built around.
Oh well, it was good while it lasted and I honestly thought I could squeeze a few more years out of the sinking Titanic that is eBay, but I think they holes are getting far to big for it to stay above water for much longer.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 26
I agree entirely.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 26
Dude, chill. Write to them and see what they have to say and what they can do for you.

Life is too short to get worked up over things like this. Although I do see your point. It really is a dumb practice by ebay, especially taking into account the stuff you've sold in the past. Like I said, shoot them a short email and see what they can do about it.

If they won't budge, then too bad for them, their loss, just say sayonara to them and walk away.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 26
are u thinking of selling your username?

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, chill. Write to them and see what they have to say and what they can do for you.

Life is too short to get worked up over things like this. Although I do see your point. It really is a dumb practice by ebay, especially taking into account the stuff you've sold in the past. Like I said, shoot them a short email and see what they can do about it.

If they won't budge, then too bad for them, their loss, just say sayonara to them and walk away.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in the process of chilling, but it's frustrating when you work hard to build up a reputation on a site that's supposedly built entirely on just that only to be told "screw you." It's like after being with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend for 8 years and having done everything right out of the blue they suspect you of cheating on them.
It's stupid to get worked up about, I understand that, but it's still infuriating.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 26
I remember back in 00/01 you could literally list ANYTHING you want. Pron, replica watches, bootleg stuff, ANYTHING.

I remember typing things in and not getting any returns, now, you type in something, and you have to sift through what you DON'T want.

I recently got a message/notification saying you're no longer allowed to post negative feedback!!!!! What? Seriously....What.

Same thing with Paypal. You used to be able to wire funds INSTANTLY between your bank account and paypal account. Add, substract, it was all INSTANT. Now, there's a 3-7 day wait...garbage.

eBay has seriously gone down the crappy. I only wish I was savvy or even remotely inclined and would have bought stocks of them....god...I'de be good to go.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 26
It seems pretty cliche complaining about eBay, but I do really like the service and I'm hoping enough b*tching just might get me somewhere. Maybe some bigwig at eBay is an avid Head-fier and will think, hey that guy's on to something. My first few years I never had a SINGLE problem, buying or selling, now it's 50/50, for every good transaction I have a have a bad one to cancel it out.
I was just so angry trying to list tonight because the sellers that are actually doing things right should be rewarded, or at least not subject to caps which make selling more of an effort than it's worth. I'm just unsure of how they maintain the power that they have implementing ridiculous business models. Pablo Escobar didn't get to the position he did by shooting his best drug runners. Maybe eBay's so incredibly powerful now that they just don't give a damn and are shooting everyone.

Anyway, I finished up a thoughtful email to the customer service dept. It was well worded, non-scathing and included no drug-running references, I just made an attempt to explain that I'm one of the good guys and I actually help them out.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember typing things in and not getting any returns, now, you type in something, and you have to sift through what you DON'T want.

I recently got a message/notification saying you're no longer allowed to post negative feedback!!!!! What? Seriously....What.

x2
Agreed, its getting from bad to worse.
frown.gif

Well, I guess all good things must come to an end...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I finished up a thoughtful email to the customer service dept. It was well worded, non-scathing and included no drug-running references, I just made an attempt to explain that I'm one of the good guys and I actually help them out.

That's a good move. Asking nicely is always the best way, because the person that will be reading that email is not the one sitting at the top raking in the millions of $$, so if your email is polite and genuinely asks for help, I'm sure they will try their best to help you out.

Hope it works out well for you in the end. Do keep us updated with what they have to say.

Oh, and if they don't want to help you, tell them its their loss, then point them to this thread.
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 26
I stopped selling at eBay a couple years ago. It wasn't worth it then and it has just gotten worse. I still buy a couple items per month, though.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 26
I no longer sell there either, only buy as well. I think it is ridiculous about no longer to be able to leave negative feedback, so the guy can rip off 4 people for every 5 people he sells too and no one would know the better.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever heard of craigslist?

Well yes of course I have, but it doesn't seem to be an effective medium for selling all the different things I'd like to sell.
For instance, let's say I'm trying to sell some pens (like I really am), I don't think Craigslist will garner the kind of interest I'd like to get in Ohio.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well yes of course I have, but it doesn't seem to be an effective medium for selling all the different things I'd like to sell.
For instance, let's say I'm trying to sell some pens (like I really am), I don't think Craigslist will garner the kind of interest I'd like to get in Ohio.

Perhaps you would be surprised? Ebay appears to be much more refined than craigslist, yet people are still people when it comes down to it. And craigslist does not charge you a fee! I'm just speaking from the good experiences I've had on craigslist (thus far).

By the way, I live near ebay's facilities, and they have ample lawn for burning if you so desire those services
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back