So...Let's Talk Classic Sport Cars!!!
Jun 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Contrastique

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't really know much about this but one day (hahaha) I would like to drive a nice car which is relatively small, is brilliantly FAST, sticks to the road like glue, looks very pretty and of course costs like $100 (
icon10.gif
) )but most of all is just really fast like when you hit the throttle it just pushes you in your seat and makes you go WAAHHHAAA; I like that !!

I'm not really fond of modern sport cars as most of them look like; yeah here I am bladibladibla so only if you think they fit my criteria, post them (like that helps but at least I tried
tongue.gif
) and Porsches, well, we all know about them.

So, post up them pics, preferably with max speed and how fast they reach 100km/hr
tongue.gif

For example, I like this one from looks, Tha Cobra:
cobrashowcarsn2.jpg

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 31
My friend has his dad's original 67 Corvette Sting Ray set up for drag racing (~600 bhp). He let me drive it a couple times and it was amazing. It was really tough to get into first gear, but after driving that I'm pretty sure most other cars out there are no problem. It is silver with black racing stripes. I am jealous.

edit: No pics of it, but it ran the 1/4 mile in the low 11s high 10s. I have no idea what the top speed is and I don't want to find out.
wink.gif

edit 2: nice choice, Indra.. Owning/driving a Shelby Cobra is like a fantasy of most car nuts.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 31
I dunno, one day I would like a Lotus 7 (or a kit car made of) and a 1962 Jaguar E-type

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, one day I would like a Lotus 7 (or a kit car made of) and a 1962 Jaguar E-type

Jaguar_E-Type_8w.jpg

image001.jpg

image002.jpgp

The E-type is one classic old lady that I would love to own.
smily_headphones1.gif
So sleek!

0-60 is around 7 seconds for a 4.2L...

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 31
I miss the 1959 Austin Healey 100-6 that I bought in '63. It was strictly the 2-seat version with the spare tyre perched on the differential cover and absolutely no back seat. It was wrecked in about '72 when a gal with a Lotus Cortina ran a red light and I motored about half way through her car.

....my nose still has a starboard list.

Got a nice '64 MGB roadster to replace it, but it never did "really" replace it. It was a lovely automobile that even had roll-up windows, but it just wasn't a "Big Healey".

The car that we "almost" bought to replace the Healey was a Fiat 124 Sport Spyder. Another lovely car that seemed somewhere between the MGB and the Healey in capabilities. I'd given it three test drives while deciding on it and on the third test we discovered some issues that my mechanic felt might soon be terminally expensive.

The incredible thing about all these automobiles was the "fun" factor. They were all incredibly.....slow.

They sat so low(ya couldn't get a pack of cigarettes sideways between the side exhaust of the Healey and the ground....yeah I used to smoke back then; I quit in '75)Yeah it sat so low that even though my '87 Jeep wrangler has the same 0-60(0-100) times, the Healey FELT as though it went like stink! And it had vicious over-steer and would swap ends at the drop of a hat, so, fun cornering with a four-wheel drift could be accomplished well within the legal speed limits.

.....well; somewhere near the legal speed anyway.

Anyway; you could have lots of fun zappin' thru the gears and havin' tons of fun and still be at sane speeds that doesn't put society at risk.

We had a couple other cars in the day that were lots quicker and faster that weren't as much over-all fun. They were fun in other areas and were mostly considered our "Family Cars". We also had a '65 Chevelle Malibu Super-Sport Convertible, and later a '69 Mach 1 that I got a good laugh at the Wife about when on a trip in rural Illinois late one night I asked her to scope out the speedo and she was surprised to see a pretty steady 120 MPH (200KPH)or so. She was surprised cause She didn't realize we were goin' anywhere near that fast. I was even surprised....cause She was doin' the drivin'!

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 31
In 1978 I bought a brand new MGB. Man, that car was fun. Not a high performance car by any means, but just fun. My girlfriend always made fun of it, but she always wanted to borrow it.
In the mid 80s I bought a 1972 E-type. Another fun car, but it was definitely a touring car. A dog until you got up around 70 mph or so. It scared me when I'd punch it doing about 90, it just jumped.
Fun times.
Right now I'd like to get a TR6. I just always wanted one. Maybe someday.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 31
Alfa Romeo has been my addiction. I've owned a '76 and '89 Spider, an '88 Milano (75) Verde 3.0, and an '86 GTV6. My dream would be a '58 Giulietta Spider. That's the year I was born.

The Spiders were the most fun. Open air driving is wonderful. They were down on power but excellent handling and wonderful Italian engine noises.

A_Sr.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aston Martin DB4 Zagato:

31_g.jpg

Oooof. Another British classic that's just absolutely lovely.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 31
My favorite classic sports car of all time:

The Ferrari 250 GT

800px-1962_Ferrari_250_GTO_34_2.jpg

Here is a video of the car in action somewhere in the mountains of France!

Listen to the engine, watch the video. This guy knows how to drive and it is great that the car is being pushed as it should be. Even if it is worth something like $20 million dollars.

YouTube - Ferrari 250 SWB Tour Auto 2003

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 31
We get this channel here called RushHD, and there is this show called classic racers where there are several 250GT variants and even a DB4 being flogged around various circuits on a regular basis! The drivers even retain full time mechanics expert in dealing with these old classics. Sigh.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #15 of 31
I had one of these back in the day:
Austin Healey Sprite
austin-healey-sprite.jpg

Barbaric, unreliable but fun fun fun!

This was my dream car for a long time, but never had one.
Austin healey 3000:
large.jpg

I love the British sport cars from this era. I'm sure that todays sports cars are better in every respect, but its just not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back