So I've been using the HD600's for awhile now......
Mar 22, 2006 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Kassem

500+ Head-Fier
And there just seems to be a little something in the sound that I'm always wanting more from. I really plan on trying out a pair of DT880's right when I get the chance, but im not sure if the neutrality of those phones is what I'm looking for.

I want colorful, lush, beautiful sound. I want a huge soundstage. I want a new pair of headphones, however it is required that they have high impedance.

Could you recommend me some?

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 29
340smile.gif
K340 all the way.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 29
Is the AKG340 on par with the HD600? I'd like a headphone in the same ballpark.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 29
Well i have never heard the dt880.. but from what ive read i wanted to try them. Would you say they fall into the category of headphones im looking for?

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
Is the AKG340 on par with the HD600? I'd like a headphone in the same ballpark.

Not really, their sounds are pretty different, but they have great soundstage! Hoever, as far a SQ goes, they are probably even a little more detailed than HD600's to my ears.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 29
I think the main problem is that.. when im listening to music with the HD600's.. i feel completely uninvolved. I get bored when im listening, quite frankly, and its down right annoying. I would also enjoy more instrument seperation... not necessarily a bigger soundstage.. but i really need the seperation of instruments.

I need a brighter (but not grado bright), more seperated, musically colorful sound.

I'm thinking its either the DT880's or the CD3K's

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 29
How about Sony SA5Ks?

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
I think the main problem is that.. when im listening to music with the HD600's.. i feel completely uninvolved. I get bored when im listening,

That's how I felt with 600. And 650 were a big difference.

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
How about Sony SA5Ks?

What Ohm impedance do they have? Maybe Virometal will let me audition his!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borus
That's how I felt with 600. And 650 were a big difference.

And the 650's solved that problem for you?

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 29
That Marantz 1060 you're driving them with is an integrated amp, right? I don't know much about it, but in general I'd say that you need a dedicated headphone amp to get the most out of the HD600. Being "boring" and "uninvolving" is a pretty good sign that your synergy isn't right, or that they're underdriven. Even if that integraded can give them enough current, you really do need the right amp and source to make the HD600's sing.

In your case, it might be cheaper to replace the headphones, but "colorful, lush, beautiful sound" described the HD650 more or less exactly, and there you're going to run into the same exact problems that you're having with the HD600. If the 600 feels boring on your gear, the 650 will feel doubly so, since it's darker and more polite than the 600.

Try the RS Hornet for the HD600. It will wake them right up, though it will need to be burned-in for a long time before it's final sound signature comes out.

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 29
Would you benefit from having a headphone that is more forward, like your SR60s? They would probably be more involving. Is there a warm (lush), forward, bright headphone?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to sound like I know something.

I've actually been wondering about a headphone like this as well.

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
Would you benefit from having a headphone that is more forward, like your SR60s? They would probably be more involving. Is there a warm (lush), forward, bright headphone?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to sound like I know something.

I've actually been wondering about a headphone like this as well.

Warm and bright are more or less mutually exclusive, though you can argue the exact definitions of each term to no end.

Out of my stash: the Stax SR-001 is warm and forward, and the ES2 can definitely be warm and forward if the rig is right.

I would imagine that the RS-1 with a tubed Singlepower amp would be exactly what you want, though I've never heard this combo. Definitely on my list of things to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back