So, is there better DIY headphone cable than Cardas 4-24 AWG?
Aug 29, 2007 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

vvs_75

500+ Head-Fier
In my case I am looking for DIY cable that will be same size as the Cardas but with better sonic characteristics or smaller and more flexible for better portability but at least on the same level with Cardas.

I did read several threads here and there and didn’t find anything better than Mogami W2534 Neglex Quad Mic Cable.

So how does the Mogami W2534 cable stands against Cardas sonic wise? Any other cable in this category?

Thank you for your time!

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mogami 2534 is just your average cheap stranded copper. It's nice, but nothing close to Cardas 4x24.

I respectfully disagree. I've used both, for both headphone cables and interconnects, I continue to use the Mogami.

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

The Mogami 2534 is just your average cheap stranded copper. It's nice, but nothing close to Cardas 4x24.

Curious as to what you mean by "average cheap stranded copper"?

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

If you want quality, you can take a look at the wire offerings from Vampire, Juniper, Kimber and Neotech. They should all be great quality, and are mostly solid-core.

Yes the Mogami mic cable doesn't cost like boutique cables you mentioned but it's doesn't look cheap to me. And it’s probably the best mic cable around!

Anyway I just looked at Partsconnexion catalog again and the cables you talking about are hook up wires. May be they sound OK but not very good choice if you looking for convenience off flexible nice looking headphone cable?

What do you think guys about CARDAS 4 x 33 awg Tonearm wire with shield - 4 wires plus shield plus thin wall jacket ?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/wire.html

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 36
I've used the Mogami 2534 and it was very similar to Canare starquad for me. I couldn't really tell the difference in sound, but I haven't used it for a while now. That's what I mean by regular cheap copper, it's inexpensive and I simply wasn't as impressed with it as I was with Cardas 4x24 or Cardas Twinaxial.

As for these being "hookup wire", wire is wire no matter what they categorize it under. What do you think is inside the Cardas 4x24? It's just their regular 23.5AWG hookup wire with a few different shields, nothing else.

33AWG may be a real pain to work with, it's VERY thin.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

I've used the Mogami 2534 and it was very similar to Canare starquad for me. I couldn't really tell the difference in sound, but I haven't used it for a while now. That's what I mean by regular cheap copper, it's inexpensive and I simply wasn't as impressed with it as I was with Cardas 4x24 or Cardas Twinaxial.

Just bear in mind that the reason that the Mogami is so much cheaper than the Cardas is that it is able to be mass produced because of its high demand in the general industry. The Cardas by nature of its boutiqueness is going to be more expensive but not necessarily better. But it's also ok that we disagree about the cables relative sonic abilities, that's just the nature of the beast.

Quote:

33AWG may be a real pain to work with, it's VERY thin.

Agree with you 100% here, 28ga is a pain to work with, I can't imagine anything smaller.

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 36
I rewired my tonearm with the Cardas 4x33awg. Major pain to work with but still high quality construction throughout. Wouldn't want to use it on headphones though, as the entire cable is far too thin and fragile. A hard pull would probably snap something inside.

The Cardas 4x24 works well for me. Haven't tried the Mogami. Strangely, I can find the boutique stuff just fine here, but not mass produced cable is cannot be purchased in this city.

Aug 30, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 36
The cardas has a bright sonic signature compared to the mogami,
I have heard both with both the K701 and HD650.

Can't say I like the Cardas, made both those cans too bright/glarey,
while I did like the Mogami quite a bit.

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 36
Thanks everybody!

I was thinking about w2893 too, since I am looking for something thinner and lighter.

Also my D2000 with Cardas a bit bright, but I didn't know that the Cardas cable have bright sonic signature.

So its look like there is no DIY cable that can stand against boutique cables like Moon Audio, ect.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everybody!

I was thinking about w2893 too, since I am looking for something thinner and lighter.

Also my D2000 with Cardas a bit bright, but I didn't know that the Cardas cable have bright sonic signature.

So its look like there is no DIY cable that can stand against boutique cables like Moon Audio, ect.

I doubt that. Try some 28 or 30 AWG silver in teflon tubing.

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 36
Another Mogami star quad I would recommend is the Mogami W2893 mini quad (26 AWG). It's less "bulky" and more flexible than it's larger brother. I used the W2893 on my now former SA5000's to good results. At $.61/ft. for OFC copper cable, you can't beat it.

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt that. Try some 28 or 30 AWG silver in teflon tubing.

I know that there are lots of good wires but I am talking about professionally made flexible nice looking quad cable like Cardas or Mogami. Probably I wasn't clear enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back