So, is there better DIY headphone cable than Cardas 4-24 AWG?
Jun 20, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #32 of 36
Greetings. I just built an 18ft cable with Cardas 4x24 with a Furutech 4.4mm on the amp end and a couple of Furutech mini-XLRs on the other end for my LCD-XC and LCD-4 phones. The Cardas was easy to work with and the the sound compares favorably to my Kimber AXIOS CU and my Moon Silver Dragon v3. It's a good alternative to the more expensive cables IMHO.

I also like the Mogami as well because it is very flexible and is not as physically microphonic as the Kimber is. With the Kimber I have to sit very still or I can hear the cable as it couple physical vibrations to the ear cups.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #33 of 36
Went back and read through this... I built a cable for my home setup with Cardas 4x24, and then another for work with Canare Star Quad L-4E6S. Later came across the Mogami W2534 but have not ordered any yet... the Cardas was expensive ($14.50 a foot was the best I found), in comparison to the Canare which you can get between $ 0.87 and $ 0.79 per foot. Looks like the Mogami is a bit harder to get and costs ~ $1.72 a foot - but in comparing the specs they are both the same gauge but the Mogami uses OFC and a spiral shield vs. a braided shield. The Cardas also uses a spiral shield.

In the specs:
the Canare resistance is < 9.8ohm per 100M and the Mogami is 8.3 ohm per 100M, so lower in resistance
the Canare capacitance is 150pf/M and the Mogami is 97pF per meter ( conductor to conductor )

I could not find the specs for resistance / capacitance for the Cardas.

Given my little research project I probably will buy the Mogami for my next project, and take advantage of the slightly lower resistance / capacitance

I think both come in a variety of colors - the Canare seem to be easier to get different colors like purple, or yellow

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #34 of 36
I had a 15ft cable made for my Hifiman headphones using mogami 2534 and a furutech 1/4” connector (Idk whi made the 2.5mm connectors). The sound is open and dynamic and a definite improvement over the stock cable, although not night and day different. I mainly needed the length.

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #35 of 36
Best and cheapest option, as long as diy is not an issue. Is buying pure silver wire from a goldsmith/silversmith. 3n is already above anything one would consider in the same price class.
All you need to do is buy the pure silver wire, which is sold by weight, so it costs almost nothing compared with prices of finished copper cables. All together spent 30 euros for 0.2mm diameter 3n silver wire and cotton sleeves. You can go for 0.5mm one, but see no real reason to do so soundwise. Sleeving the wire was bit of a challenge, but doable as long as you have a thick peace of hard wire to solder the silver cable to and then pull the cotton sleeving over. Other than that you only need a couple of plugs for termination. Have built headphone cables, interconnects and internal amp wiring with this 0.2mm 3n silver cable with astonishing results. Never ever gonna use copper again.
Also Teflon sleeving makes life easier, yet it would not be anywhere near as bendy and light as cotton sleeving.
Cable like this has no microfonics and is far more transparent and musical than any copper based cable could ever hope to be.
Takes some time and patience, but the rewards are totally worth it.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #36 of 36
I now use and recommend Mogami 2552. It's a stereo microphone pair of cable laid out "lamp" zip cord fashion so that there is absolutely no cross-channel "bad stuff" going on particularly in a longer cable. It's not as flexible as some of the others mentioned hear but it sure sounds fine and the cost is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back