So... is OVC the OEM for SoundMagic
Sep 4, 2010 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xicex

New Head-Fier
http://www.ovc.com.cn/html/x100/

Same as PH10s

I'm wondering how much stuff marketed by competing brands actually come out of the same factory.
What are the major factories (OEM/ODM)?

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 4
They are both OEM for some other companies, and they do not OEM for each other. The reason why PH10 and X00 looks the same is because they are using generic parts source from the open market. Sometime these companies will make generic part and sell them to other companies, but they generally do not OEM, just supply parts. There are also companies that specialize in parts supply where these headphone maker will buy their parts from. In some cases, one company will clone and mod the design from another company,

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm skeptical. I know ClieOS is uber guru but more and more I'm seeing that often the only source of reliable information is the one that comes out of the horse's mouth.

So I asked SoundMagic lol.

Tony said SoundMagic makes the X100 for OVC.
Which is strange, because OCVACO is such a huge company, they've around much longer, you would think it would be the other way around.

Still skeptical.

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Seem I was wrong. Sorry about that. Though more interesting is that OVC X100 has been in the market years before PH10. So SoundMAGIC probably made the X100 for OVC, then make another one for themselves after the contract is over (from what I know X100 is already a dead end product). There shouldn't be much of a conflict of interest since SoundMAGIC almost exclusively focus on OEM for Westerner and oversea market while OVC is mainly OEM to Japan and sell in local market. I would imagine the only reason why Tony would tell you such a trade secret is because SoundMAGIC isn't making X100 for OVC anymore (or else that would be a very bad business practice to leak clients' info). Well, I do know a few of the biggest sellers (both headphone and DAP) now in the forum are OEM'ed by others, but OEM/ODM is just a norm in the business world. What is there are you feel skeptical for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back