So is it Rockbox or iTunes?
Apr 17, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #16 of 43
you hate apple because you can't get the hacked firmware to load?

if you saw my post, the issue you had with multiple computers was only because you had it set to auto-sync. if you set it to sync manually, you can use multiple computers.

anyways, i'm sure theres someone here that can walk you through rockbox.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #17 of 43
So far, I haven't liked anything I have used. Nothing is simple. Every interface I have used has it's dumb little quirks.I will gladly pay 20 for winamp or mediamonkey if they are simple and work in a drag and drop with lossless playback. Rockbox might be great and free but obviously it's not easy to get to work.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 43
oh and if I set it to sync manually I would lose the 20+ gigs of music already loaded so yeah that's a hold up. I guess I will just have to start over. Whatever, the iMod with some E500s is so much fun. Good tunes anywhere I lounge.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #20 of 43
if i were you i would honestly just use yamipod..google it
i used the rockbox firmware many times..the only gripe i have is battery life..and the flac performance..to my ears isn't worht the extra space.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #22 of 43
With all due respect, I'd love to know why everybody hates Itunes so much. I've used Mediamonkey, Musicmatch, WMP, and the Creative Media Manager, and I think Itunes is the most intuitive of all of them. The only things that seem attractive to me about Rockbox is the customizable themes, and maybe gapless playback for an Imod. But considering the bugs and the battery life, it doesn't seem like a great trade off.

Personally, my favorite thing about Itunes (and ipods) is how easy it is to create smart playlists. My music listening is ALL about smart playlists. Does Rockbox support these?

Anyway, maybe I'm totally deluded, but it seems like a lot of people bash Itunes without ever explaining why.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #23 of 43
I personally don't hate iTunes, but I like the extra features I get from using Rockbox, like the drag and drop capabilities, the interface themes, crossfades on track skip and shuffle mode, the partymode playlisting and replaygain (which I prefer to soundcheck because of album gain).

It's really a trade-off because the battery life gets shortened a bunch, and occasionally I have a fun time trying to get my buttons to do what i'm asking them, so you just need to choose whatever you think is worth more to you.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #24 of 43
hrm i've always used apples original firmware, and i've never used the smart playlist.. well except for audioscrobbler, anyone mind mentioning what all the hoopla is all about?

i set my ipod to manually upload so i can use it on whatever computer i see fit.

if i happen to be on a computer w/o itunes installed i can still use my ipod as an external hard drive and then upload the songs into whatever directory is necessary when i get home on itunes... kind of confusing, but it works... though I do get tired having itunes installed, meh it works, and ill have gapless and alac support

i'd give rockbox a try if they can up their battery life a bit.. i have the 60gb and according to apple i get an eta of 20hr(which i really question now) but from my reading people have been getting 8-9 hours and thats w/ no adjusting to different tracks/volumes/et cetera

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #25 of 43
What's funny is that I've seriously considered Rockboxing entirely because of the ability to change my display theme. If there's one thing I hate about iPods, it's that fisherprice-esque display. It just looks so boring. Sometimes I actually think it degrades my enjoyment of the music. You'd think that a company that supposedly cares about the style of their products would let you customize something so simple, but I guess not.

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlEnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hrm i've always used apples original firmware, and i've never used the smart playlist.. well except for audioscrobbler, anyone mind mentioning what all the hoopla is all about?

I'm not sure what "audioscrobbler" is, but smart playlists are the greatest things ever. Basically, you can create a playlist with any criteria you want, specifying genre, star rating, comments, bit rate, song length, etc. And you can tell it to only include songs that you haven't heard, say, in the last month. Or you can tell it to only include songs that you've added to your ipod in the last month.

So, for instance, right now I'm listening to a smart playlist called "Audiophile Electronic" which is made up of Electronic music that I've rated at least 3 stars or higher, that has a bit rate of greater than 128 bps, and that I haven't listened to in the last 30 days.

If you want to learn more about it, there's a whole website devoted to the many possibilities called http://www.smartplaylists.com/. I highly recommend it.

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, my favorite thing about Itunes (and ipods) is how easy it is to create smart playlists. My music listening is ALL about smart playlists. Does Rockbox support these?

Last time I checked, Rockbox didn't support smart playlists (it could have changed). You're right, that's the pivotal feature that distinguishes the two options. Gapless used to be another pivotal feature but that's no longer the case on the new iPods.

Some people want drag and drop, others want smart playlists. I don't consider drag and drop a feature (unless it is an optional extra, which it isn't with Rockbox)... I just have too much music to manage manually, and I could never manually keep track of which podcasts I've listened to and which I haven't, remembering to delete the ones I've listened to and load new ones. Way too much work. Other people insist on drag and drop. Different strokes for different folks. Depends on how you want things to work.

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used Rockbox, too, when I had my iPod. It takes a little getting used to, as the navigation is very much different from the stock firmware, but once you get used to it, it should be a snap.

Agree.

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh and if I set it to sync manually I would lose the 20+ gigs of music already loaded so yeah that's a hold up. I guess I will just have to start over. Whatever, the iMod with some E500s is so much fun. Good tunes anywhere I lounge.

Is this true? I wonder how or why the music on the Ipod would be lost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back