So, I'm wondering, anyone still praise westone 3?
Jul 2, 2010 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

soyama

Head-Fier
They were soo hyped and praised at first.

But did they really hit that hard? The problem with IEMs I guess, is there are so many of them.. So many to try, so many different profiles, so many similar setups.
How to go about choosing the right one for you.

When I was looking for a new IEM, I went through a few, basicly I ordered Westone 3, sennheiser IE 8 and Triple Fi 10, I gave them all several hours worth of playtime, the IE 8's i used for about a week, same with triple fi. The westones I kept.

Unlike so many others it seems.

So they flopped? weren't what they were told they would be?

I just ordered a new set yesterday, and it seems hardly anyone has tried them here, I'll try to make a little review. the AKG K 390 NC
Hopefully they will provide!

So anyways, anyone still prefer their Westone 3's? W3's? or it was basicly just overhyped by a few individuals?

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 12
No I think it is an outstanding IEM for these reasons:

1. Fantastic cable and ergonomics, very lightweight. (the new Shure 535 probably weighs 2-3 x as much with cable)
  2. BIG, full-bodied sound with visiceral impact yet has exceptional overall clarity.
  3. Terrific extension top and bottom, large soundstage.
  4. Really needs no amp whatsoever.

Just a little bass heavy/boomy and a slight recess in the mids but this was intentionally designed this way for a "fun" sound.  There are other more balanced IEM's out there if that's what one prefers.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:

1. Fantastic cable and ergonomics, very lightweight. (the new Shure 535 probably weighs 2-3 x as much with cable)
  2. BIG, full-bodied sound with visiceral impact yet has exceptional overall clarity.

Just a little bass heavy/boomy and a slight recess in the mids but this was intentionally designed this way for a "fun" sound.  There are other more balanced IEM's out there if that's what one prefers.

I agree :)
I like the westone 3 very much, however, im not sure its theeee sound signature for me, but thats because after reading all the comments going around my brain gets abit jumbled..
We will see when I get the AKG's. So far westone 3 is a clear favourite! :D

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 12
They're still my favorite IEMs, though the Monster Turbine Pro Golds are creeping up for stationary listening.  The MTPGs probably won't displace the W3s since the W3s are so nice to use while walking, low microphonics, great isolation, great sound.

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 12
I really loved my W3's with a great overall sound and if it wasn't for the SM3's, I'd have kept them as they're the second best IEM I've ever heard and I've tried a few.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Glad to see guys giving the westone 3's some love still! :)
Also seems like the fuss about sibilance has died down, but so has the promoting of this model.

Anyone tried the w3's with any amps? I'm wondering what difference there is, if they benefit greatly from it..

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 12
I tried mine with Ibasso TD3 and did not like it.  It sounded too heavy and overpowered.  W3's do great straight out of it's source.  Nano in my case.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

Agreed. They are the best fun IEM I've heard to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back