Feb 25, 2007 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
Stay tuned

preEKG.jpg

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forgive my ignorance, what does one of these do?

It's an electrocardiogram or ECG, EKG is an abbreviation of elektrokardiogramm. It's used to measure the current and voltage in the heart at any point in time, and the data is used to create a moving graph. It's the machine that flatlines when a patient dies.

But of course it isn't just used to see if a person is alive or not. The ECG is used in the diagnosis of most heart-related illnesses.

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 22
This should be interesting. Keep us posted. Out of curiousity, why are you doing this project.

ECGs are used to measure the electrical activity in the heart which triggers cardiac muscle contractions. The flat lines seen in movies/TV are misleading. You shouldn't get a perfectly flat line unless you've not connected the leads up to the ECG.

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... They have EKG kits?!

Well going by the breadboard, the big clumps of parts and a page of what appears to be scribbled notes/values/equations, looks like he's DIYing one up himself.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... They have EKG kits?!

That I don't really know. But the one I'm doing just basically have a front end with instrumentation and isolation amplifier followed by adjustable high and low pass filter, a notch filter, and some gain stages. And some other minor detail parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should be interesting. Keep us posted. Out of curiousity, what are you doing this project.

Lab class... not free well.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well going by the breadboard, the big clumps of parts and a page of what appears to be scribbled notes/values/equations, looks like he's DIYing one up himself.

Yeah, mostly capacitor and resistor values for the HPF and LPF...

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 22
I just had to recheck the picture a few times... yes, there's an ice-cream next to the lappie
icon10.gif

So... this project will include a lot of opamps too i guess? comparators, summers and such?
I bet it will be extremely hard to make it work 100% right... but it looks exciting
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had to recheck the picture a few times... yes, there's an ice-cream next to the lappie
icon10.gif

So... this project will include a lot of opamps too i guess? comparators, summers and such?
I bet it will be extremely hard to make it work 100% right... but it looks exciting
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully there won't be too much debugging (circuit is due this coming thursday... finger crossed
biggrin.gif
)

Some update pics (pardon the poor cellphone pics)

The place where I tied a "knot" with the wire is where the "notch" filter suppose to be, but I don't have all the parts for it yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/Zuerst/ekginprog3.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/Zuerst/ekginprog4.jpg[IMG]

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming from someone that has to read these, I hope yours doesn't spit out "digitalis effect" for even the slightest ST depression
biggrin.gif

Hey do you know of good online sources where I can look up different heart condition and their corresponding waveforms?

I'm really bulding a multi-purpose bioamplifier for EKG, EEG, EOG, and EMG measurements. The amp also needs to feed into a computer with LabVIEW, and then LabVIEW is used to do signal processing to analyze the various bio-signals and display some diagnostic results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back