So... I wore my SR-80s out in public today..
Feb 14, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #16 of 56
I use sony eggo d66sl, sounds good, looks good
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #17 of 56
i wear my MS-1s around in public, they look good.

wearing those sony's is like telling everyone they only want to wear a headphone but doesn't really care about the sound ...

porta pros are ... ugly ... but i want to get one too just to see how good they sound ... but i'm sure i won't wear them in public

Feb 14, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 56
I actually thought they looked cool,
Dont understand why people stare, its not like they scream "look at me!" they are very understated and minimalist.

Feb 14, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #19 of 56
I saw a kid wearing porta pros on the bus. I just thought like "cool", although ii must admit that they look somewhat like a medical implement. Some kind of a head brace. But I had to give him respect for his respect for quality.

Feb 14, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #20 of 56
I ride the subways and trains everyday and I see people with Eggos, V-x00s, Bose QuietComfort, Triports, HD497s, SR60s and all kinds of other full size headphones. No one seems to think this is weird at all.

Feb 14, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 56
Hmm later in the week I might try wearing the R-10's or even better the Hp-series.

KenW>That's it mock us redwing fans. Your only pissed cos you last won it in 93. And without No. 33 you'll never win it again.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 56
I live in Hongkong (now 10 yrs). Here everything from cellphones,headphones,mp3,dvd's etc are preferred in small dimensions. I use my SR60 going to work/coming back, walking in the streets,buses,waiting in the bus stations. The only problem i can find is it's too open for very noisy place like HK but i didn't found any substitutes. Peoples here doesn't much care what you wear..instead i've seen some respect as normal thinking goes bigger cans better knowledge of music
biggrin.gif
. And SR60 looks cool and unique.

One day in work, my RioRiot was lying in table and guys were surprised to find that the thing is actually a MP3 Player. Expression was- SO BIG!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #23 of 56
In Toronto you dont find a lot of people that actually wear anything besides sony v-crap's. I've seen 1 bose triport, a few sr-60s, and maybe 1 or 2 sr-80s in the past 6 months or so. I take public transit everyday, and I usually get wierd looks with my DT-250's
biggrin.gif
ah well. At least i'm enjoying sound.

Feb 14, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 56
I either get compliments or weird stares if I wear my SR-325's around campus.

Feb 14, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 56
I wear my MS-1's when I'm on the go, as long as it's not raining. Nobody seems to give me weird looks, as it is fairly common to see people with larger, DJ-style headphones in downtown Toronto.

My work area, Queen Street West, in particular, is home to many actual DJ's, fashionistas, and other assorted artistic types.

Feb 14, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
its not really a maturity issue... if someone looks dumb they should be laughed at. else how will they learn?

tho neither look good... is it genuinely a good trade off? sacrificing all sense of aesthetics for the sake of the utmost fidelity?

This is exactly what I am talking about. It is completely a maturity issue. There should be no "teaching" people to conform to what you think is "cool" by laughing at them. People think I'm insane for spending $150 on headphones, and I think they are insane for spending $5. They laugh at me because it makes them feel better about themselves and they are insecure. I choose not to laugh at them. You choose to laugh and help people "learn" that's fine, but is most definitely immature, and it definitely stems from an insecurity to that which is alien, or unknown.

Mark

Feb 14, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #27 of 56
I will wear my sr80 in public just to see what happens. Now on dorm floor, everyone who stops by my room freaks out to see that I spent $80 on some weird looking headphones(thats what they say...
tongue.gif
). Someone said to me the other day that for that kind of price I could have bought Sony. Only one dude on my floor seems to understand what Grado sr80s are. I let him borrow my headphones for few hours and he is totally blown away by its quality. I told him to visit head-fi and a get a sr60 to start out with
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 56
I was walking down Granville here in Vancouver the other day, wearing my SR80s, when I walked past a bus stop and saw...*another* guy wearing SR80s (at least I think they were, coulda been 60s). neat! th revolution is beginning!

(and if you were that guy, hi. :>)

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I actually thought they looked cool,
Dont understand why people stare, its not like they scream "look at me!" they are very understated and minimalist.

Maybe they were staring at the dude who's staring at them in the first place, trying to see who's giving him "funny looks."

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #30 of 56
you guys are so brave, i have my shure e2c's, i even route the cord under my shirt and wear a beanie. no 1 knows i have these on ( until after they've shouted my name a half dozen times
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back