So I ordered a RudiStor RPX-100
Oct 26, 2007 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nc8000

Headphoneus Supremus
It should be with me in about 3 weeks time, Can't wait. I hope it will be a significant step up/away from my EarMax AE amp and release the true potential of the L3000. Once my wallet recovers from the shock I intend to have AKzip recable my L3000 to balanced and I will also need to buy some decent xlr cables to connect my cd-player with the amp (thinking of having AKzip do them as well). Further reports and pictures when it arrives.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 18
it certainly is a beautiful amplifier -- i can't wait to hear your report.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 18
I have an RPX-100. The Rudistor used with good front end source and balanced phones will provide a detailed and organic sound. I used a Nordost Vishnu Power cord until it was replaced by a Nordost Valhalla power cord. I thought the RPX-100 was a good amp. Now the RPX-100 is great amp, the Valhalla has taken the sound to a totally new place I would have not thought possible. This power cord transformed the amp. This might be less an issue in Denmark where you likely have better mains current. Speaking for myself, it was apparent how a power cord dependant the Rudistor is.

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 18
I haven't done that particular side by side... but I have done the RP010 Classic (The original version of the RP010B) which is one notch up from the RPX100 versus the Opera... and it wasn't even really a contest. The Opera was thin and absolutely uninteresting, bland and less detailed/organic compared to the RP010.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't done that particular side by side... but I have done the RP010 Classic (The original version of the RP010B) which is one notch up from the RPX100 versus the Opera... and it wasn't even really a contest. The Opera was thin and absolutely uninteresting, bland and less detailed/organic compared to the RP010.

Sounds like a pretty good endorsement, I'll have to check that out then. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 18
I have the RPX-100 for a few months now. I just can't imagine how a solid state amp can be better than this. I am one very satisfied owner.

Well, until the day the PortaCode is here but even so the PortaCode will not provide the features that PRX-100 offers, especially in regard to balanced headphones and sources.

F. Lo

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 18
It depends on what you are looking for in a solid state.

I liked the RP010 a lot... but I think a well built Beta22 with good synergistic parts selection/Dynamight/Dynafet will definitely give it a hard hard run for its money. Based on my tastes the Beta22 and Dynamight definitely beat out my RP010 in speed/clarity/
power/details. But I can definitely see how someone can say the Dynamight might have a little too hard of an edge. Beta22 with its warmer mosfet based output stage didn't have nearly as much of an edge. Though compared to the Dynamight it had less bass impact but still was about on par with or superior to the RP010.

Of course unless the maker spends more effort than I typically see in balanced Beta22 implementations as far as extra features go it might be tough to find someone that can build you any of those amps to match the feature set in a RPX100.

I think whenever the GS-X finally gets the mosfet modules that Justin is working on and it adds more body to the sound it will definitely be competitive as well if not already depending on your tastes. As is right now it is certainly more clear/accurate but for my tastes it can be a bit thin with certain headphones. Mosfet modules should reverse that.

Also my Singlepower SS-1 is no slouch but not really in the same price range though I hear there is going to be a scaled down version coming out in the hopefully near future. And there's the Squarewave XLR though I haven't heard the most current incarnation.

Oh right and Eddie Current's balanced fully discrete (I think) Redtop should be pretty excellent as well.

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 18
Congrats you big spender
wink.gif

Your impressions and pics of course, are very welcome.
cool.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats you big spender
wink.gif

Well I had sold a lot of stuff building up my paypal balance and then got a nice bonus from work so I could just about scrape thru. However with this amp order there is no money left for balanced recabling or even xlr cables to connect the cd player with the amp so it will only be single ended impressions for a while. Hopefully the amp is superior to the EarMax even single ended. Rudi thinks it will be a huge improvement even that way with even better to come when cash has been raised again.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 18
Congrats! I enjoy my "lowly" NX-02 the more I use it.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 18
Congrats!!
Looking forward to your reviews and pics~

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 18
Rudi mailed me yesterday saying that it should ship coming friday. I'm away on business all the week after but it should be on my doorstep by the time I return in 2 weeks time (the wife is at home to receive it, if it has come she will not get much joy out of me that weekend
wink.gif
).

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 18
And I have received it and it is glorious.

154527.jpg

Yesterday I was able to try it with a set of balanced L3000 and I'm sold, I definately need to have mine balanced. This fully balanced setup is just about everything I was hoping it was going to be. Thighter and more impactfull bass and much more control over the whole spectrum. I know that no one headphone can be the best for everything but in this setup the L3000 is so close that I'm not going to bother with anything else. My 3 rigs are now as I want them (once the L3000 are balanced) and will not change for a forseeable future. My EarMax AE is now officially for sale together with the Tara Labs Air Reference 1 interconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back