So I just got my MDRV6s last night
Dec 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

100+ Head-Fier
AND OH MY GOOD GOD THE DETAIL AND CLARITY IS ORGASMIC.

Now obviously you can see I'm no hardenned audiophile :wink: but I really do like the clarity and soundstage these cans have, it's really quite nice.

Though i have some questions!

1. When should I be expecting them to burn in? I hear the headphones are dramatically better after burn in
2. What should i be expecting at the burn in? More bass? More Mid? Thats what I've been hearing usually when people mention the MDRV6 burn in, but just to check again, what am I expecting?
3. Whats the best way to wear these cans around your neck? The clamp force smooshes the two cups together right underneath my neck, so its oddly uncomfortable, I usually just flip the two cups outwards and that usually gives me enough room. Is there any other good way to rest them on your neck comfortably?
4. Is there a thread or a whole list someone can give me or whatever with the mods I can give these cans? I hear a lot of people modify their V6s with good benefit, and I of course want to get on in the fun :D
5. Is there a thread or anyhting that rounds up all the V6ers like the Grado crowd has?

Thats all! Thanks guys, you wre the forum that reccomended the V6s, and they're quite nice :3 Btw, I DO have real ones as I went to that thread that can be a good gauge of if you have fakes or not, and my chord came wrapped (really tightly too xD), and the folding of the box was very neat, as well as I got both plugs.

Thanks guys :)

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 15
Congrats man, the V6's are an excellent pair of headphones, among my all-time favorites!

1. Burn-in isn't an exact science, so it's hard to give an absolute amount of hours, but I think 200-300 is a reasonable amount (if you can deprive yourself of them for that long!).
2. I can't really remember how they sounded before burn-in, sound memory is poor at best, but I'd imagine their treble and bass would probably clean up a bit.
3. They were so uncomfortable to wear around my neck I'd only wear them around the top of my head, like a crown. Silly looking, but it works!
4. Not really a mod, but some people recommend switching the pads to the Beyerdynamic DT250 pads. I personally think this is about the worst thing you can do for the V6's, since it makes their sound downright terrible, and completely drops out isolation.
5. I don't know if there is, but they are certainly deserving of an appreciation thread.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Congrats man, the V6's are an excellent pair of headphones, among my all-time favorites!

1. Burn-in isn't an exact science, so it's hard to give an absolute amount of hours, but I think 200-300 is a reasonable amount (if you can deprive yourself of them for that long!).
2. I can't really remember how they sounded before burn-in, sound memory is poor at best, but I'd imagine their treble and bass would probably clean up a bit.
3. They were so uncomfortable to wear around my neck I'd only wear them around the top of my head, like a crown. Silly looking, but it works!
4. Not really a mod, but some people recommend switching the pads to the Beyerdynamic DT250 pads. I personally think this is about the worst thing you can do for the V6's, since it makes their sound downright terrible, and completely drops out isolation.
5. I don't know if there is, but they are certainly deserving of an appreciation thread.

1. What do you mean deprive? D: I thought burn in period was a span you play them for, not a period you let them sit there. Am I wrong? :S

2. Yeah I was hoping for the bass to become slightly more prominent and the mids to unrecess, but the bass alone would make these jsut great anyway!

3. Ah well, looks like I'll be stuck with flipping the cups outward xD

4. Yeah I've heard of that one, the stock pads actually are comfortable for me already :p Any other ones?

5. yeah. Maybe I'll start one someday :D

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 15
no offense here man, but you are already a Head-fier with 90 posts, it means that you've been around quite awhile here, shouldn't you already know the answer to all of those questions? I mean they are some basic issues about headphones/earphones/speaker there that you asked about.

1. yes you are right that its a span or period of playing time.. You can either use it while you're at it or just leave it to get to the end result without having to go through the process.\

2. Burn in wont change the frequency response/ sound sig. significantly. V6 is quite thin on bass.

cheers, :)

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
no offense here man, but you are already a Head-fier with 90 posts, it means that you've been around quite awhile here, shouldn't you already know the answer to all of those questions? I mean they are some basic issues about headphones/earphones/speaker there that you asked about.

btw, Kukuk answered your questions :)

cheers, :)

I post a lot in the threads that dont necessarily require a lot of knowledge :p Im far from an audiophile, as I said. I thought people here at head-fi didnt care about post count whatsoever :S Weird.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
haha yeah most of people here dont care about post count.. I too dont care, but I was just relating it with the questions.

cheers,

Yeah no problem, I am actually quite a noob (I mean. I know more than my friends about speakers, but seeing as they know next to nothing :p It isnt much o an achievement), and know it xD

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 15
If you think the V6 has good detail, you should try the Sony V900HD(aka 7509HD) or an open Sennheiser headphone such as the HD598. The V900HD is known for its midrange detail. For the price though, the V6 is an excellent headphone. I have had my V6 for 23 years!

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
If you think the V6 has good detail, you should try the Sony V900HD(aka 7509) or an open Sennheiser headphone such as the HD598. The V900HD is known for its midrange detail. For the price though, the V6 is an excellent headphone. I have had my V6 for 23 years!

Nah Im too broke to afford more headphones xD I just wanna bring out all the potential of the V6. I really like it, and I think this may be my audio nirvana headphone, it literally fits ALL my needs. Ruggedness, durability, comfort, isolation is PERFECT, etc. etc. Now to find the right amp, maybe DAC, wires, mods, etc. etc. And wow, 23 years! Amazing!

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 15
I did need to change the earpads on my V6, however it still sounds great. I was wowed by the V6 until a few years later when I bought some open Sennheiser headphones that were over $100. One improvement that I made on the V6 was switching to the Beyerdynamic  velour earpads. It does reduce isolation somewhat, but greatly increases the comfort.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I did need to change the earpads on my V6, however it still sounds great. I was wowed by the V6 until a few years later when I bought some open Sennheiser headphones that were over $100. One improvement that I made on the V6 was switching to the Beyerdynamic  velour earpads. It does reduce isolation somewhat, but greatly increases the comfort.

Would you still reccomend that modification even if I currently find the comfort quite sufficient, and think the isolation I currently have is perfect? (not too much so I can still hear useful noises in the background like someone calling for me or etc. , but enough to drown out useless background noises)

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 15
If you find the comfort fine, then don't switch the pads. Switching the pads doesn't help the sound. It helps prevent ears from overheating, and that sticky feeling when the plastic earpads stick to the ears. I find the V6 with the original pads to be comfotrable until my ears get hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back