So, I have a single ended HD650 on the buy now, what about amp?
Dec 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi
I know there were many talks about it, but still
I want a very nice AMP for the HD650.
Something that won't cost "arm and leg" - means no more than 2000$
And it need to be a desktop one.
And single ended.
I prefer an SS one (not tubes)

I want it to have a lot of "power" and have a "clean" sound with a very good details, and low bass with a lot of impact and a wide soundstage.

Hope you can help me guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 18
Any reason you're not interested in a tube amp? At that level there are many excellent choices. If you've got the notion that tubes are difficult to maintain, etc., we can disabuse you of those. They're no more difficult to live with and are less fragile than solid state. Glass breaks, for sure, but a touch of static electricity destroys transistors. And if the chips are more than a few years old, good luck trying to find replacements.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 18
Try a Darkvoice 336SE. You can ebay one for about $300-350 shipped (especially if the seller is wanting a currency that exchanges well with USD, like australian cash, over paypal) and it has a lot of tube options...it uses some pretty substantial tubes and so the amp has potential. Mine is in the mail now.

Darkvoice stuff is pretty popular here...anyway what is your budget? If you have more like $500-100 you could go for the new 337 from Darkvoice, it's more of a dual mono design with twice the tubeage and twice the fun.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 18
Well the DV 332, with a full set of NOS tubes will sound heavenly! And not break your budget.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 18
For SS amp/DAC under $2K, check out HeadRoom's desktops (the balanced is exceptional) and the Grace m902. You can't go wrong with these. If you don't have an aftermarket cable for the HD650, that should be near the top of your list, too. (HR has balanced cables if you go the balanced amp route.)

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 18
I have experience with two amps in that list. I have listened to the Woo 6 non SE and I own the Raptor. They are all beautiful amps. All my reading leads me to believe the Zana Deux is the MAC DADDY MOFO in the under 2000 dollar range. If I had 2 grand id call Craig at Eddie Current and tell him to get busy and where do I send the check. I would spend some time researching them. The Luxman P-1 doesn't have a lot writing to back it up because its new to the US and its Solid state but Jude can tell you about that one. Good Luck and ask many questions and start a thread if you need an answer you cant find.
regular_smile .gif

I left some links to get you started in my last post.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 18
I am finding the Purity Audio Caliente to perform exceptionally with the HD650. It is a SS amp, fully discrete, all stages running in Class A. I've been using it with a 5.5g iMod, with an ALO VCap Dock and a reconditoned VD Nite 2.0 IC. Now, I'm using it in my main rig with a Headroom Ultra Micro DAC and a VD Master 2.0 IC. The sound that this rig delivers with the HD650 is just amazing. On tracks where deep bass is used, even though I'm using headphones, I feel it through my bones down to below my knees. The sound overall is full, rich, balanced, with life-like soundstage (width, depth and height), and a wide dynamic range covering the subtlest of sounds up to the strongest and most complex. This amp, itself, costs about $400, which will leave you with funds to be sure that the overall rig is solid end-to-end.
Here's the main thread in which this amp has been discussed:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...-kicas-329643/

And here is a link to the Purity Audio product page:
Purity Audio

Especially with the HD650, it'll be worthwhile to read over the material in these links. You've got an enviable budget. Best wishes in using it to build a rig which will add richness to your life as you use it to listen to the music you love.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 18
sbulack, could you please talk a bit about the Caliente's top end air? I like tubes because I like the feeling of open spaciousness around the music, particularly in the treble. But a SS amp would be better for my purpose (smaller, less heat, less chance of my 2 year old breaking the tubes or burning her fingers). How does the Caliente + HD650 do as far as openness? Music is mostly progressive rock and electronic.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For SS amp/DAC under $2K, check out HeadRoom's desktops (the balanced is exceptional) and the Grace m902. You can't go wrong with these. If you don't have an aftermarket cable for the HD650, that should be near the top of your list, too. (HR has balanced cables if you go the balanced amp route.)

x2 on this.

I have had a HeadRoom Maxxed Out Home for years and still love it when I bust out my HD 650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back