So I Got the Beyer DT-770...
May 21, 2005 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
And I LOVE them. They are built like a tank. I really like the straight cord. I miss the velour pads from my HD-590, so I am in love with the comfort. By far my most comfortable 'phone. I like the A900's too, but the wings take a little adjusting to get it just right.

I was really worried that they would have bass and only that. On the contrary, they have everything... maybe not perfect mids, but I like fun phones. The highs can be a little much, but I listen to metal mostly, so the recordings are not helping. Now about the bass. It is not overdone one bit. In fact, I wish all phones had this kind of bass. I was kinda expecting the horrid sound of car subwoofers, but that is not the case. Very deep, very palpable, and very FUN bass. I even think it is pretty detailed. It is not as controlled as my SR-225's with flats, but it has got them beat in depth and abundance. I am not officially a basshead, as I am enthralled by the bass. My favorite songs are so much fun to listen to. I am going to have these for a VERY long time, they might outlive me they are built that ewll
icon10.gif

So now I have it all: A great utility and classical headphone (A900), a great rock headphone (SR-225), and a great
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
phone (DT770-80's)

May 21, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 13
IMO, the crazy bass rep of the 770's is overblown. I heard more bloated out of the 240s and tighter, with similar impact out of the HD650.

What is wrong with "fun" phones? Isn't music supposed to be fun? I don't see listening as a chore to perform, more like a pleasure to be experienced.

May 21, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 13
Enjoy!! theyre a great can.... pssst... Amp em, and add a little EQ to fill out 200-900 Hz and they really bloom.

garrett

May 21, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
IMO, the crazy bass rep of the 770's is overblown. I heard more bloated out of the 240s and tighter, with similar impact out of the HD650.

What is wrong with "fun" phones? Isn't music supposed to be fun? I don't see listening as a chore to perform, more like a pleasure to be experienced.

Actually a "fun" headphone is very wrong to me. I'm an accuracy and flatness whore, so I can't afford having a "fun" can. Being a studio engineer doesn't help either because the quality of my work depends on the flatness of the phones I use. Besides, anybody who cares a little about accuracy should not use EQ or fun cans as all they do is mask the truth.

May 21, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 13
sr2oo - my "not fun" can lol.

darth beyers - my fun can! everyone needs a fun can!

but yes it's nice to be able to go back to "reality" when you want to, which the sr200s allow me to do. but when i miss that UberBass...

May 21, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
Actually a "fun" headphone is very wrong to me. I'm an accuracy and flatness whore, so I can't afford having a "fun" can. Being a studio engineer doesn't help either because the quality of my work depends on the flatness of the phones I use. Besides, anybody who cares a little about accuracy should not use EQ or fun cans as all they do is mask the truth.

True, but that is what my other headphones are for. They are a little more "accurate". But then again, I mostly listen to metal, so accuracy takes a backseat to fun there
biggrin.gif
In the case of classical and other, more well recorded music, accuracy is the point. Personally, I got tired of looking for accurate, I want to have fun listening to my music, that is what music is for. If I wanted to study the music (which I do occasionally), I would not have the cans I have. Bottom line: to each their own.

Besides, I have plenty of recordings where the "truth" is more like boring and badly mixed.

May 21, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Besides, I have plenty of recordings where the "truth" is more like boring and badly mixed.

This is SO true!! As a side effect of my work, I like to overanalyze and compare my mixing talents to some of the "supposed best" mixers and mastering engineers out there. BTW, I listen to metal and rock too and I really like to hear how BAD some cds actually sound when played on accurate phones. Indeed, it's nearly a mental orgasm each time I hear a mistake on popular records! LOL!

May 21, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

This is SO true!! As a side effect of my work, I like to overanalyze and compare my mixing talents to some of the "supposed best" mixers and mastering engineers out there. BTW, I listen to metal and rock too and I really like to hear how BAD some cds actually sound when played on accurate phones. Indeed, it's nearly a mental orgasm each time I hear a mistake on popular records! LOL!

LOL, there are some terrible ones out there. I would rather mask the pain and have fun with those ones.

May 21, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I bet you're a blast at parties.
rolleyes.gif

May 21, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 13
LOL, don't worry, they are similar beasts. The 770's have just a little more bass and treble, IMO. Both are great rocking cans. I would say that the 770 is the more (slightly) bombastic 590 in closed form. I loved the 590's, so you are not missing really anything other than slightly more pronounced bass and treble. Have fun, and do not worry.

May 21, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Congrats on receiving your DT770's, they are indeed a fun set of cans. Feed it with an amp and they will definitely sound even better. I agree with Jahn on the the Darth Beyers, I have a pair and love them even more than my stock DT770's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back