So I got a free pair of ER4Ps...
Sep 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cuitarded

New Head-Fier
I recently joined up with a band as a singer.

My dad knows some folks at Etymotic and was able to pull some strings to get me a pair of ER4s to use.

I already own a pair of 6is that I used with my MP3 player, but never have used the ER4s or IEMs in any setting such as playing in a band. But I figured I'd need hearing protection and whatnot hence the ER4s...

In anycase, they recommended getting a custom sleeve on the ER4s from ACS (Advanced Communication Solutions).

Seeing as the ER4s are free I am jumping at the opportunity, but I was wondering if I should also check other other brands, particularly Ultimate Ears or Shure.

Are the ER4s appropriate IEMs for performing? I think I heard somewhere that Edge from U2 uses the ER4s...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 5
The ER4 series is known for its flat frequency response (flatter than any others I've seen among all headphones/IEMs) and excellent isolation (with their triple flanges anyway; customs may actually DECREASE isolation in this case, though it'll help with comfort), so they're most likely a great candidate for stage monitoring. Westones and Shures are great alternatives, but if you are getting the Etys for free, by all means go for that.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Go ER4 without even doubting it!

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies.

What would be the difference between something like the ER4s and the Uber high end UE Pro series IEMs (there us a $1200 USD one...).

I have used tri flange before and found foamies more comfortable plus they have increased isolation. Are foamies generally not suited for stage performance?

Also I'm assuming I will need a wireless system for the IEMs, I can't just plug into the mixer...Any suggestions there? I guess I should post on another part of the forum for that...

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuitarded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies.

What would be the difference between something like the ER4s and the Uber high end UE Pro series IEMs (there us a $1200 USD one...).

I have used tri flange before and found foamies more comfortable plus they have increased isolation. Are foamies generally not suited for stage performance?

Also I'm assuming I will need a wireless system for the IEMs, I can't just plug into the mixer...Any suggestions there? I guess I should post on another part of the forum for that...

I recently went from Shure SCL3 to Fidelity custom molded in ear monitors, and you can do fine with either. The customs are way more convenient due to not having to compress/wait for foam to expand, etc. Plus with customs you can push up on your ear to temporarily break the seal and hear what another band member says, and with foamies you have to remove them completely and then put them back in. With any kind of in ears it is extremely important to have someone you trust providing your monitor mix from the console.

I use an Audio Technica M3 wireless system, but as long as you have a line output (almost always from an aux send/monitor send) from the console available, you can use most any headphone amp to drive the in ears through a headphone extension cable.

What I use:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : M3 Wireless In-Ear Monitor System

Here is an example of something commonly used for cheap in ear mixes:

Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products PM50s Personal Amp

This provides a balance control between your mix from the console and your instrument or vocal mic, and they also have one that mixes 3 signals:

Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products PM351 Personal Monitor System

This provides a headphone feed from a monitor mix powered by an amplifier (connect speaker cables direct to this device then headphones out):

Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products PM52 Headphone Tap

PM me if you have any more questions/concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back