So I bought the M-Audio BX5 D2's, and they are awfully good.
Aug 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shonor6

Head-Fier
So I bought the M-Audio BX5 D2's the other day and honestly before I heard them I planned on returning them because of their size. But after that 3.5 plug got into my jack - there's no way I'm doing that.

I have a few specific songs with which I test new audio gear so I can make fair comparisons. My list is as such:
Dream Theater - On The Backs of Angles
Dream Theater - A Nightmare to Remember - this is a challenging songs for audio gear, there are many instruments, plenty of lows to highs, depending on the part of the song (17 minutes song).
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters - this is my all time favorite song, gear that can't play it properly just isn't proper gear for me.
Dream Theater - One Last Time - I use this song to really look for these tiny bits and details in Mike Portnoy's drumming, things such as Ride's Bell strike or tiny touches of Splash cymbals.

Conclusion: I believe the Mids could be just a tiny bit sharper, I feel like they "almost get there" but not quite, as heard in On the Backs of Angels and One Last Time, which is kind of disappointing because I don't like focusing on trying to hear these small details, but rather I like simply hearing them, like I do with my AD700's. So that's a little drawback. My second complaint is that the Highs ~might~ sound a tiny bit harsh in certain parts, if the volume is high enough.
In Nothing Else Matters - these speakers, or shall I say, monitors were OUTSTANDING. That's because the song mostly c[size=x-small]oncentrates[/size] on the Lows and Mid-Lows which is the strong side of the BX5's. I'm even not shy to say that I heard a tiny little detail of which I hadn't even heard with my beloved AD-700's (that detail was James inhaling air, possible that I heard it because the volume was quite high).

But those disadvantages are really just nitpicking, because for $200 these speakers are a bargain - nonetheless, and I am dead satisfied. I've listened to the Audioengine A2's which cost about the same, if not - more and these are so much more better.

EDIT: The Mid's might be slightly, slightly recessed because the positioning of my monitors isn't perfect yet - I haven't yet purchased a proper stand, therefore the tweeters are lower than my ears rather than directed at them. I think I'll buy the Audioengine A5+'s stand as they're really almost the same dimensions.

So just needed to share that with you guys.

P.S.
Is there any similar software as Realtek HD Audio Manager, but for Mac? In case I wanted an equalizer or such. Thanks.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Glad you're enjoying the speakers.

Look into adding a USB DAC in between your laptop/speakers to pinch even better sound out of your setup.

Something even as cheap as the Fiio D3/D03K will boost the sound.

A step up from that might be the Fiio E10

From there you have options like the HRT Streamer+ or Audioengine D1.

There are even better options after that but I would never pay more for a source or DAC than the cost of the speakers ....

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 9
You're welcome for the recommendation! I'm glad you like them. I really do enjoy listening to them more than my ATH-M50s. I agree that they may sound a tad sharp in the highs. I experience it in some of the jazz I listen to. I also agree that they are much better than the A2's. I was less than impressed with them. I was originally planning on getting a sub to go with them (KRK 10S
very_evil_smiley.gif
), but I'm starting to think that is unnecessary.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 9
The BX5 D2s are gems of bookshelf speakers. I bought them by "accident" for a project and discovered they sound great. They have a nice tight accurate sound with no big holes or over-emphasized frequency bands. For the price and size, I haven't heard anything better. They're near field monitors, so you need to be close and on axis with the speaker cones, but they make for a nice personal listening experience. I have some nice Event monitors for mixing, but I'd feel comfortable doing basic mixes on the BX5 D2s.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 9
I also have the Audio Technica ATH M50 (coiled) headphones. I switch between those and the Klipsch Image One depending on the type of music. Regardless, you need studio monitor speakers to ensure all of your inputs are heard at the right levels.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Glad you're enjoying the speakers.

Look into adding a USB DAC in between your laptop/speakers to pinch even better sound out of your setup.

Something even as cheap as the Fiio D3/D03K will boost the sound.

A step up from that might be the Fiio E10

From there you have options like the HRT Streamer+ or Audioengine D1.

There are even better options after that but I would never pay more for a source or DAC than the cost of the speakers ....

I actually am planning on adding a DAC or an external sound card but I don't know which would enhance quality further. Additionally, it'd be nice to know that I'd have to ability to connect a separate Subwoofer, even though I doubt I'd do anything like that. But still, what are the options?

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
EDIT: The Mid's might be slightly, slightly recessed because the positioning of my monitors isn't perfect yet - I haven't yet purchased a proper stand, therefore the tweeters are lower than my ears rather than directed at them. I think I'll buy the Audioengine A5+'s stand as they're really almost the same size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back