So far my line out sadly sounds better than the Zhaolu D2.5A
Jun 8, 2007 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Got my Zhaolu D2.5A this past monday, and it's been burning in almost 24/7.
I switched back to line out from the Pioneer DV668 straight into my WA6 and actually noticed an improvement. The Zhaolu sounds a bit sluggish, while the Pioneer seems faster and also has better separation and a tad bit more bass.
I'm using the AD 08 at the power supply and the LT-1057's at the DA.
Im awaiting the LM4562's though.

How much burn-in does the Zhaolu require to be at full capacity?

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zhaolu sounds a bit sluggish, while the Pioneer seems faster and also has better separation and a tad bit more bass.
I'm using the AD 08 at the power supply and the LT-1057's at the DA.
Im awaiting the LM4562's though.

Did Eddie perform the cap bypass for you? Open the case and inspect the analog board!
While you're at it, remove the LT-1057
evil_smiley.gif
opamps and throw them in the garbage, so you'll never ever try them again in this DAC. Then plug in the OPA2604 (in the correct orientation!!!!) and give it a second listen!
If you only have the original cables that came with the Zhaolu then I'd try the optical first. If you have a decent coaxial cable (not the Zhaolu) then try it too.
Last thing: replace the power cord with a shielded one. The least acceptable is a shielded computer (or monitor) cord, next is a Volex 17604 or similar and above that there is a sea of different "audiophile-approved" cords of different quality and price to suit all needs... Just make sure it's shielded!

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Okay, I'll toss those 1057's and go back to 2604 and see.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, the caps are bypassed, first thing I inspected upon arrival, hehe.
I actually have the Zu Firemine on order, so I'm hoping that one will improve (though I'm sceptical on how much IC's for digital transfer actually affect sound).

Any advice on which optical to use? Right now I'm using a pretty cheap one from monoprice.com. I need a toslink -> mini.

And btw, I've read tons of good things of the OPA2107. Is that anything worth hunting down?

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

How much burn-in does the Zhaolu require to be at full capacity?

Diffucult to say. I am convinced 200 hrs was not even close for my Citypulse DA7.2x ... My soundcard was declassing my dac.

Now both play as good. I have over 1000 hrs done.

Do .. somewhere between 200 and 1000 hrs.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand
the Pioneer DV668 seems faster and also has better separation and a tad bit more bass

The performance of DVD players as transports is sometimes unpredictable. I had excellent results from a cheap Zenith DVB318. I heard the Oppo 970 briefly and I bet it's at least as good.
On the other hand, I experienced a pretty boring performance from more expensive Dennon and EastAudio players.
Quote:

And btw, I've read tons of good things of the OPA2107

I'd wait for the LM opamps. All indications point in their favor.
Quote:

I actually have the Zu Firemine on order, so I'm hoping that one will improve (though I'm sceptical on how much IC's for digital transfer actually affect sound).

Sometimes more than you think... Especially if you're using the basic cable that came with the Zhaolu.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 16
I did not like the sound of zhalou at all. My squeezebox 3 to woo 6 sounded so much better without it. I now have a Kora Hermes tube DAC on the way. We'll see how this sounds in my setup.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 16
IMO roll in those LM4562s and be prepared to be amazed! That is, until upgraditus hits you and you'd be itching for the Zapfilter upgrade...

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 16
I must agree the LM 4562 brings just about everything to the table you are looking for in sound from the Zhaolu. Also try listening only to the Zhaolu for awhile and not A/B things for now , the burn-in really does take some time in my use of the D2.0c for all things to settle. Actually I found it bass thin and very good on clarity on my first listen a bit of a let down in the short term.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omg i thought i wanredf you about those LT1057!!!! get them the hell out of there!!!!

Call me crazy, but sometimes I like to actually try things out for myself. ;D
But yes, I see now why you warned me.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Call me crazy, but sometimes I like to actually try things out for myself. ;D
But yes, I see now why you warned me.

actually that's good, should always hear things for yourselves, rather than going off what others tell you

but they really are THAT bad so don't base your judgements of the Zhaolu on those opamps, or on the OPA2604 for that matter... IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back