So E4's have terrible synergy w/ the iPod?
Mar 22, 2006 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
It's ironic if this can be absolutely confirmed right here, right now, because the Shure E4c's have the same color as an iPod FOR the iPod
rolleyes.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 14
I have yet to come across a pair of headphones that have terrible synergy w/ the iPod.... I haven't tried the E4s, but I have tried the E3c and they sound great w/ the iPod (3G, 4G, 5G).

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Yeah, the main complaint I always read about the Shure E4 is that it doesnt have any flippin' bass! Now, lol I think iirc thats why I went w/ the super.fi's back then...

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 14
LOL naw, I don't care about color or style. Sound quality is first and foremost to me these days. But yeah, I have been debating on whether I should get a pair of AKG 701s or the E500s...

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 14
for reference, I thoroughly enjoy my 595's out of my 5g ipod. I had the e4c's for a couple weeks and found them to be quite tedious to listen to. there is an utter lack of bass on even the most synthesized exagerated bass songs. if you are into very light bass, then they have wonderful highs and mids. I upgraded to the e5c's and am now eagerly awaiting the e500's so i can downgrade the e5c's to exercise cans.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 14
I prefer bass than highs. And I find the E4 to be very bright and very low in synergy (with R&B EQ, which I find, gives the most synergy) straight out from a G5 iPod.

But the details and clarity of the E4 is top notch!

If you are a one who loves thumping bass, I say give this one a miss.

But then again, YMMV.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RB26DETT
I prefer bass than highs. And I find the E4 to be very bright and very low in synergy (with R&B EQ, which I find, gives the most synergy) straight out from a G5 iPod.

But the details and clarity of the E4 is top notch!

If you are a one who loves thumping bass, I say give this one a miss.

But then again, YMMV.

Is there any IEM with thumping bass? I hear the UE Super.Fi 5 EBs have lots of bass, but at the expense of the rest of the spectrum.

Here's what I find with the E4c's: Bass is there, except for the bass that you would feel through a sub-woofer. It is not teeth-rattling, bowel-loosening bass. If that's what you want, you won't get it from the E4c's.

Right now, I'm listening to "Get Down Tonight" by KC and the Sunshine Band on my iPod Nano and E4c IEMs. I can hear the bass line - it is tight and present - but I don't "feel" it. If I plugged in my DT 770/80 Pros, I'd "feel" the bass, but at the expense of recessed mids and highs that are slightly less clear. BTW, I have bass boost on.

Unamped, of course. Don't know what difference an amp would make. An amp is on my "to buy" list. I'd also like to give the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pros and EBs a whirl...

My wallet screams for mercy and my wife is loaded for bear...

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 14
I find it very strange that the E4 is known to have "very light" bass. I may be used to it by now, but I deffinitly don't feel that the bass is lacking with the E4's. I sometimes prefer my E4's to my HD-595 when I want a nice impactive bass (Mainly for house/techno, ie: Armand Van Helden).

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 14
I have the E4 Pro and sometimes amp them with a Pa2v2. When amped, to my ears the E4 has a very good balance of somewhat deep (tight) bass, GREAT mids and slightly rolled off highs without a hint of sibilance.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 14
I have traveled with my ipod and e4c for more than a year now. I always loved the sound, although with the ambient noise on a flight, I discounted the bass issue.

After I set up my nice rig and use 650s regularly, I can't say I feel the same. Even with the bass boost, I feel they are a bit anemic in the bass, with a very nice mid/upper section.

I don't have enough experience with IEMs to say if any are better or not.

Fixed the problem totally with a Total BitHead.

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
Is there any IEM with thumping bass?

u tell me, i am looking for 1 too. but dun think the super fi.5 EB will be something i would get.

from impressions around here, it has way too much bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back