So Cal - Ultimate Ears Factory Tour Impressions
Jun 11, 2005 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Whew. It's late, but just got back from BRBJackson's place. Thanks for hosting the after party, a great way to top off the Ultimate Ears "Tour"

A big thank you to Mike Dias, Jerry Harvey, and all the folks at Ultimate Ears. While it wasn't really a guided tour of the facilities (is was a presentation and "round table discussion" in a meeting room), we had all of our questions anwered and a great discussion of canal phones in general, and especially their new SuperFi phones. The "tour" was brought to us in the meeting room. Including a chance to have custom ear mold impressions made.

And for those that missed it, yes. It is true. We all did receive some nice parting gifts. Of course with the chance for us to give the new SuperFi's (and lucky Jetlag, the UE10's) a long term and permanent audition.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know the others had some specific questions that were asked and answered, so I will let the others chime in..........

-Ed

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 46
The "tour" itself was a lot of fun. The folks at UE were very knowledgable and graciously answered all of our questions.

I don't think any of us could be more happy (or more suprised) with the spectacular door prizes we received.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh, and the pizza was great btw!
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 46
Hurrah for Ultimate Ears and their generosity!

I don't know about you guys, but the HD201 stole the show for me in spite of the presence of universal fit UE10s.

For twenty bucks, those Senns put up one gutsy Rammstein performance!

-Matt

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 46
We have ways of making you talk.........
evil_smiley.gif

8266UETour_08EarMold.jpg

8266UETour_09EarMold.jpg

8266UETour_10EarMold.jpg

8266UETour_11EarMold.jpg

Last pic is actually a pic of my ear mold. I had ear impressions taken last. It was a weird experience. Not painful at all. Just that tiny cotton ball shoved in first was uncomfortable, but that was it.

-Ed

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 46
It was a real treat to talk with the UE folks about Canal phones/IEM's in general. Particularly the mechanics behind their products. The multiple drivers and individually ported chambers really make for a large sound/headstage.

The Super.Fi Pro's will not be replacing my R10's or K1000's anytime soon, but they have great potential for portable gaming earphones. Specifically for my Sony PSP.

I wish I could've spent more time listening to the quasi-custom fitted UE-10. From the limited listening I had, they certainly have more clarity and detail than the Super.Fi's, but at $900, they certainly better be.

-Ed

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 46
GOD! Generosity is a true understatement for the staff at UE! I don’t think even my own grandmother has treated me that well – EVER! I arrived not knowing what to expect. I NEVER would have expected such gracious, down to earth people working at UE. Keep in mind that these people deal with the likes of Madonna and Linkin Park just to mention a few. They sure made us feel like celebrities with their generous treatment.

And yes, as confirmed, we all got some truly amazing gifts - a nice shinny new pair of Super.fi Pro's. I have been listening to them for almost two hours now.

My initial impressions - well - I will save that for a future review, in fact, a full in depth review as I feel these IEM's are worth the time to review in detail.
biggrin.gif

If the staff over UE reads this - well - YOU GUYS AND GIRLS ARE TRULY AMAZING AND I PERSONALLY THANK YOU FOR BEING SUCH WONDERFUL AND GENEROUS HOSTS. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Well, it is currently 3:30AM and I felt I had to post as I could not sleep listening to these Super-fi's. YES, they are GREAT.

Well, off to bed (if I can manage to pull these things out sometime soon!)
icon10.gif

- LFF

PS - Did I mention UE rocks!!!

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 46
Before I go to bed (yes still have the Super-Fi's on) - Major thanks to BRBJackson and his wife for the afterparty. For those of you who weren't there - BRBJackson and his wife can sure brew a mean cup of coffee - delicious! It was a lot of fun and I was very happy to put some faces of people to their corresponding names on the forums. It was tons of fun and I simply can not wait to attend another meet. Thanks to everyone at UE, BRBJackson, Edwood and the others for ending my week on a very high note!

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 46
I new I'd regret not driving down to SoCal this weekend, but I'm glad you lads enjoyed yourselves. Ultimate Ears is certainly a company to be respected for their hospitality and generosity.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 46
***cross-posted from the 'meet' thread to this 'impressions' thread***

Yeah! I get to do the first post-tour report!!!!!!

In a word, the folks at UE ROCK!

I've been messing around in the HI-FI and home theater hobbies for quite some time, I've attended CES, CEDIA, and a few other trade shows, product demos and even a couple of line shows (no, I'm not a dealer, just an enthusiast), and rarely has a manufacturer gone out of their way to make me (a regular-guy shmuck) feel so at home at a product demo.

It quickly became apparent how enthusiastic and knowledgeable they all were about their products, it made for a very enjoyable and educational afternoon. More details later, I'm getting ready to board my flight at SNA.

Now the bad news for everyone who could not attend, the door prizes were extraordinary. Each attendee received a pair of either the super.fi 5Pro or super.fi 5EB phones! NO!, I'm not kidding!

One very lucky dude (make that SUPREMELY LUCKY dude) who came all of the way from Denver just for the demo received a full-on custom pair of UE-10Pros in a laser engraved case! Gratis!!! (insert numerous UE10 Pro smileys here)!

As for the 10Pro's, the sound is nothing sort of spectacular!

Just call me "Lucky"!

BTW, did I mention that the entire Ultimate Ears staff ROCKS!

...more later, gotta fly.....

***end of cross-post***

Here are a couple of pics of my new UE swag. Yes, I'm a very happy boy!

PIC 1

PIC 2

Now that I have those, I don't haev so much need for THESE?

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 46
Holy crap, you guys got some free Super-Fi's? WOW! UE's stock just went up in my book
icon10.gif
Did anyone bring some portable sources and amps to test out the new goods, or was this just more of a sit-down Q&A?

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 46
Now that the word is out about the free stuff we got, I wonder how many "Tour" requests will be in Mike's inbox when he gets to work on Monday!
biggrin.gif

My suggestion for the next tour is to either go to the Ferrari or the Gulfstream factory!
tongue.gif
I will fly in from Jupiter for those!

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Did anyone bring some portable sources and amps to test out the new goods, or was this just more of a sit-down Q&A?

We had a pretty good assemblage of amps (SM v3, SR71, PC Mk II, TAH) and portable sources (iPods, Rio Karmas, iRivers, PCDP) at the meet. In fact, UE pretty much insisted that we audition their gear with our own equipment. Now THAT'S confidence in your product.

I think I take the prize for "stayed up the latest listening to his Super.fi's", as I got to bed around 5:30AM, but just had to chime in and thank the folks at UE for their otherworldly generousity and hospitality. Also, I cannot express in words how passionate these guys are about what they do. The only downsides? Well, I've now heard the 10 Pro's, their office is very close to me, and I can go get molds taken at any time by their in-house master. Looks like another big hit in the wallet is looming
eek.gif
etysmile.gif

My (our) impressions of the Super.fi's will be posted in a separate thread, but it was great to meet everybody, and to have some of you back at the house afterwards as well.

I'm very sleepy...

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 46
Gosh if I were had known that they were giving away UE10 PRO, i'd had flown in from another country.. too bad i live in anaheim =D. But i guess Jetlag does show a lot of passion from headphones by flying in all the way from denver. I mean if you UE didn't give us anything, Jetlag still would had flown over here to visit UE; therefore, he's not lucky, I think he deserve it for his enthusiasm for UE.
etysmile.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 46
Oh man! I was gonna go but skipped it due to a terribly rough week at work... but major head-slapping over missing the chance to get some free Super-Fis.

It's a fantastic thing when a company treats their hard-core fans like royalty. Thanks for the impressions/photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back