So Cal - Ultimate Ears Factory Tour Impressions
Jun 13, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #31 of 46
Here are more pictures of the UE facility
tongue.gif

http://public.fotki.com/irx7fani/ult...ears_facility/

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
it was great to meet everybody, and to have some of you back at the house afterwards as well.

Whew, just got back into town. Been driving all weekend... Thanks very much for having us!
biggrin.gif
It's always loads of fun to meet head-fi'ers.
biggrin.gif
I'm really looking forward to the big meet later this summer.

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #33 of 46
Ok, now I know that next year I will have to go to Irvine. No, not for getting gifts. For the custom-custom-custom fit!
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Oh, and here is one last pic of the Ultimate Ears folks. (With two Head-fiers too).

8266UETour_13.jpg

Are the man and lady on the left Jerry and Mindy Harvey?

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #36 of 46
The UE folks in the photo (L to R):

Carl Spangler, COO: His design work on the case for the Super.Fi's is exceptional. I mentioned to him that I thought it was the "iPod" of IEM cases. Great work!

Mindy Harvey, President: Very energetic and enthusiastic, her care for their little company was obvious!

Jetlag (Head-Fi member): Proud owner of free set of UE-10 Pros!
biggrin.gif

Mike Dias: self-described Ultimate Ears 'biatch'
tongue.gif
. Seriously though, I was impressed by his product and industry knowledge, not to mention the effort and generosity displayed in setting up our tour.

Noy Souldaddy: The ear impressions he did for me were flawless and the fit of my 10's are perfect! If you are going to get these - have HIM do your impressions. My Audiologist did a crappy job with my first set of impressions, they were unuseable. Mike reported to me that Noy built the UE lab with Jerry Harvey.

Several of the other employees are not in the photos, but all of them were fun, energetic and their enthusiasm for their company and products was noteworthy. Overall a great group!

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #37 of 46
Hope you all got the email from Mike a while ago. Let's get him some shots to put up on their website. As I mentioned before, my pictures were ALL fouled up, so I'm zero help in this, but it would be nice to see Head-Fi representing on the UE site
deathmetal.gif

So is anyone (beside me, that is...) going to try to score some of the new cables for their 5 Pro's when available? I'm finding that the current wires have so little mass that they tangle too easily.

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #39 of 46
I've had them snag on a couple things at the gym already, hard enough that I thought the cables would be damaged (got lucky again and they were not), so I will definitely upgrade the cables when they become available. Since they spotted us the free phones, I have no problem throwing them some $ for the upgrade.

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #40 of 46
I probably shouldn't have used the word 'score', as that does imply that I'm looking for a freebie, which is not the case. More than happy to pay for a replacement cable set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetlag
I've had them snag on a couple things at the gym already

Ahh, it must be nice to be able to let your 2nd set of UE's pull gym-rat duty, Tim
etysmile.gif
I'm nervous about taking mine out of the house
eek.gif
Hey, did you decide on an amp yet?

Jun 15, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #41 of 46
I have not decided on an amp yet, but am actually flying out to the East coast this weekend to a Headroom demo (no kidding). I am very intrigued by their Micro DAC/Amp combo, and am hoping to 'score' the stack by flying in from Denver
tongue.gif
(psyche!!!).

Yes, this is my new master plan to never ever have to pay for anything ever again (muwahahahahhahah!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)
icon10.gif

The other amps in contention are the SR-71, SuperMacro, and the Corda III USB. I'm very interested in the idea of having an external DAC, so am leaning in that direction, but am going to check them all out then decide.

Using the 5 Pros at the gym is nice. Since they have such great noise attenuation, I no longer have to keep my music cranked up to cover up that awful piped in crap they play over the Bose (gag!) speakers hanging from the ceiling. Also, now I run the cord inside my shirt, no snags that way.

Don't worry, the 10's will never see the inside of the gym. I promise!

BTW, I am now a 'contributing' Head-Fi member! With all I've learned here and all of the help I have been given, it's the least I could do.

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Ok, now I know that next year I will have to go to Irvine. No, not for getting gifts. For the custom-custom-custom fit!
biggrin.gif

it's very likely I will want and plan to fly in Irvine too at this point ..

8266UETour_133.jpg
[size=xx-small] btw this photo looks completely weird if you think some non-head-fier can jump in and eventually see it
eek.gif
[/size]

tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Does anyone know how much UE charges for making earmolds if one goes to their Irvine facility?

Call Mike Dias @ UE. Also, I suspect it might depend on whether you were having them made in anticipation of an iminent custom IEM purchase or not...

Quote:

I have not decided on an amp yet, but am actually flying out to the East coast this weekend to a Headroom demo (no kidding). I am very intrigued by their Micro DAC/Amp combo, and am hoping to 'score' the stack by flying in from Denver (psyche!!!).

Tim, I applaud your prudent use of the company's remaining airborne resources for something truly important
waytogo.gif

Quote:

BTW, I am now a 'contributing' Head-Fi member! With all I've learned here and all of the help I have been given, it's the least I could do.

Thanks for joining the club... all the cool kids are doing it
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back