So are the Sony MDR-V300 headphones any good?
Oct 28, 2002 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked up a set of these this past weekend and found them to sound good for the money. These are quite comfortable to wear although they have that pleather that will make your ears sweat like a pig. They are all plastic and so are not heavy at all. They have that silver look that makes them stand out from the crowd. They look like a minature V700. I found them to sound very good with Rock music. They have a big sound for being a small headphone. They can go loud and they seem to like power. I used them with a super mini and a regular Meta. For such a small headphone they can produce very deep bass. These should go into the recommended column if you're looking for a small closed set of headphone that are portable for around $50.

Here are some specs:
Studio Monitor Stereo Headphones with closed, supra-aural design, Powerful ferrite magnets, 30mm driver for deeper bass response, Copper-clad aluminum voice coil, Oxygen-free copper (OFC) connecting cord, Convenient folding headband design, Gold-plated UniMatch plug adapter included.

MDRV300.jpg

Ok, you Sony bashers you can come out now.

Oct 28, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 34
I have a pair of 4yr old V250s and they sound horrible. I cant say the 300s dont but if they sound ANYTHING like the 250s (which they probably do) i would have to ask you what kind of sick joke this is to waste the noobs money.

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 34
Yeah, but no one with Pentium 4 PC's should even be allowed to post anywhere! Most of those systems are way overpriced for the performance.

Oh, well... How's that for crapping/hijacking?
eek.gif

Ahhh... I get it. You insist on spending an astronomical amount of $$$ just to get something that's considered "underperformance" or "substandard" by most of us.

Oct 28, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 34
And I've basically heard all of the current (and recent) MDR-V series headphones. They tend to overboost the wrong part of the mids - the one that makes everything sound 'honky'.

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 34
I used to have those cans!! thoght they sounded ok... till i heard the sony V6 ...

i remember hearing a pair of $25 Yamaha headphones that sounded a little i think.. what was the model...

oh ya

Yamaha RH3

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Eagle, you shouldn't be allowed to post since you have an AMD PC.
biggrin.gif

What's wrong with AMD? (I don't have an AMD, I have a P3, but I was just wondering, since I'd like to get a computer in the next year or two.)

By the way, nice computer, Eagle Driver.

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 34
Jeez, people... of course there's nothing wrong with AMD. Athlons are phenomenal value: speed for the money. Pentiums (P4s, that is) are great too but unbelievably expensive, as are the mobos that match.

Sure, it would be cool if everyone could spend an extreme amount of money on a P4 greater-than-2 gig processor and a 533 FSB mobo, but seriously, you can get practically the same performance from similar Athlon parts.

Besides... it gets silly after a while; get stuff with good value that will do what you want it to do and spend the rest on [headphones!
very_evil_smiley.gif
] err, other things using the same principle: value.

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Cap'n Dan
Jeez, people... of course there's nothing wrong with AMD. Athlons are phenomenal value: speed for the money. Pentiums (P4s, that is) are great too but unbelievably expensive, as are the mobos that match.

Sure, it would be cool if everyone could spend an extreme amount of money on a P4 greater-than-2 gig processor and a 533 FSB mobo, but seriously, you can get practically the same performance from similar Athlon parts.

Besides... it gets silly after a while; get stuff with good value that will do what you want it to do and spend the rest on [headphones!
very_evil_smiley.gif
] err, other things using the same principle: value.

Actually, my brother has just upgraded his computer from a 1.0GHz Pentium III to a 2.4B GHz Pentium 4 -- but with an Intel 845E-chipset-based Asus P4B533 motherboard and 512MB of PC2100 DDR memory. The total cost of that upgrade? Over $400!
eek.gif
For that much $$$ you don't get much of an improvement in performance over a $300 AMD-based processor/motherboard/memory upgrade (even though right now the 2.4B GHz P4/533MHz FSB is the best value among Intel processors).

Now back to the MDR-V300:

Not only does the V300 sound very dark, it is also flimsy and uncomfortable. Three strikes and yer out, IMHO.

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #14 of 34
acid
So are these better than V6s then?

And... is a honky sound a sound with no rythym that you can't dance to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back