So... anyone here speak Latin (Or any other dead/obscure/made-up language)?
Mar 2, 2006 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Naris

500+ Head-Fier
Yeah... this is me being bored and procrastinating (well kind of, it is more stress relief) about studying for my Latin exam tomorrow.

So...

Anyone else speak anything dead/obscure/made-up? How is it for you? Why'd you learn it? Has it been useful for you? Do you regret learning it instead of doing something else?

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 47
Sorry can't say I have except I'm in my 4th year of Spanish in high school but spanish is very common. Thought it would be cool to learn a rare language, just for the fun of it.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 47
I learned how to talk so fast that my voice becomes fairly incoherent. In spanish class I'd just jumble words together and the teacher assumed I gave the right answer. What can I say, it works.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 47
i took latin for 3 years in middle school...

all i remember...

my name was crassus.

learned my lesson...now i take chinese in high school...and yeah...i'm chinese.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 47
I learned Latin for 3 years in high school. It filled the graduation requirement and it was whole lot more interesting (for me) than other options I had. Of course, I've almost completely forgotten anything about it after not using it for over a decade.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 47
I speak Elvish
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 47
An tu putas neminem loquatur Latinam in hoc loco?

I am a Classics major, so I get to deal with quite a bit of Latin right now. In fact, in class today we started Horace's Odes. I had a semester of Greek, and can probably fumble my way through some really basic stuff.

Given my professors so far, I am considerably better with the philological side of things than the actual fun of translation and composition. I can go on at length about why various forms of the subjunctive are needed in various clauses, but couldn't sight-read to save my soul.

Illa vita est.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 47
Taking 2nd semester latin right now...

I'm liking it way better than Spanish back in high school.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 47
Taking latin right now in HS.

Normally, I love it, but my new teacher just sucks the fun out of it.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 47
I took 3 years of Latin in HS. Bad decision.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #14 of 47
I would like to learn Latin, just so that I can (correctly) make up words.

I used to read "Stari Slavyanski" (old Slavic), back when I was an alter boy. Other than in Russian Orthodox churches, that is definitely one dead language.

T-3

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 47
I've had 6 years of latin and ancient greek in high school (4 hours/week each). I can read a bit of both (I've lost quite a lot of my greek though) but I could never say I speak them
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back