So...any Head-Fiers with Tinnitus?
Mar 21, 2006 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stewgriff

500+ Head-Fier
The title says it all...I'd like to know how one can still appreciate music and pick out resolutions with a constant sine wave in their ears 24/7. Not that I have tinnitus (or at least right now...teenage iPod user), but I want to know how people can actually live with that constant ringing, much less enjoy sounds with it.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 14
*EDIT* w1ned beat me to it.

I, for one, have extremely mild tinnitus. I hear it when I'm lying in bed, but it doesn't really bother me. It doesn't bother me too much because I've had it for as long as I can remember, even before i started this whole headphone hobby.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 14
What's that? Can't hear you, my ears are ringing.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 14
That's like going to and AA meeting and asking if those guys have ever had a headache.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/searc...archid=1909659

dude, two pages worth...

ROFL, i love all the bad tinnitus threads at the top an then you get to "Magnesium lowered my tinnitus.
smily_headphones1.gif
"
i dont know why i laughed when i saw that but i did.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 14
I had terrible tinnitus for five months.

I stopped listening to headphones.

I had moderate tinnitus for a year.

A year after that, or three years later, my tinnitus is gone.

If I listen to headphones, my tinnitus returns for a few days.

HEADPHONES CAUSE TINNITUS.

Thank you, that is all.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 14
On hindsight, maybe this thread wasn't so smart to make...but I just wanted to see the experiences of those with tinnitus.

Anyway, thanks.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang

I don;t think that's true if you listen at safe levels. And this requires measureing to make SURE the levels are safe.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 14
I've had tinnitus for a long time, but I don't think it has anything to do my current headphone listening habits. It stems from stupid things I did when I was a teenager, such as mowing the lawn every week with my walkman at 100% volume to drown out the lawnmower, constantly blasting my ultra pimped out car stereo at a verified 130db with piercing treble (so loud you could basically scream and wouldn't hear it over the music) for hours on end, playing drums in bands for years with monitors 3 feet from my ears, etc. Basically I'm lucky I can still hear anything at all. I can hear tinnitus anytime if it's silent and I listen for it.

BTW I'm now careful to limit my exposure to loud noise. But I was a complete idiot, and I'm sure I'll pay for it when I'm older.

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I had terrible tinnitus for five months.

I stopped listening to headphones.

I had moderate tinnitus for a year.

A year after that, or three years later, my tinnitus is gone.

If I listen to headphones, my tinnitus returns for a few days.

Thank you, that is all.

Jackhammers CAN cause tinnitus!

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 14
I myself don't have tinnitus, but would like to know steps to helping prevent it. I'm currently 16, and do not listen to music excessively loud (unlike most people around me, it seems) and if going to concerts always wear ear plugs. Anything else I should generally avoid to ensure I can enjoy a life of listening to music? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back