Snow-Leopard, anyone?
Aug 31, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool....what is a good audio player? I really love foobar to do all my stuff like flac. Anything similar?

I converted all of my FLAC to ALAC and just use iTunes as my audio player. My library is stored on a linux server which is managed by any computer on my network running iTunes.

You might also want to make use of the bit-perfect USB and optical audio output of your new mac into a good DAC.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there like a place that I can download a bunch of apps?

You will get a better response if you state what kind of apps you are looking for.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I regained about 20gb of HDD space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by osmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got back 30GB of disk space!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got myself 14GB back
biggrin.gif

No, you didn't. Apple just changed the math on how they measure hard drive space and made themselves incompatible with the rest of the world:

The Real Reason You Got Back So Much Hard Drive Space With Snow Leopard - Snow leopard - Gizmodo

Have fun when websites talk about "5MB" downloads that end up taking up more than "5MB" on your hard drive and when you hit confusion with website upload limits.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 41
I just received my copy of Snow-Leopard today and just installed it. The small differences are very nice, but I only have one small gripe. When I change spaces, its now a little jerky, seeming like it lags. I am not going to complain though, because it may just be hardware limitations since i have a basic 13" Macbook pro.
Other than that, I am not only pleased about the product, but the fast shipping I got since it arrived today when I ordered it on friday.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #22 of 41
I am enjoying the much faster Time Machine backups, but performance has been mixed overall. I only have 1GB RAM, and I find my system paging a lot more under Snow Leopard than it did under Leopard.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you didn't. Apple just changed the math on how they measure hard drive space and made themselves incompatible with the rest of the world:

The Real Reason You Got Back So Much Hard Drive Space With Snow Leopard - Snow leopard - Gizmodo

Have fun when websites talk about "5MB" downloads that end up taking up more than "5MB" on your hard drive and when you hit confusion with website upload limits.

The article says that only part of the "regained" space is due to Snow Leapord's new space-calculation. The rest is indeed the work of the OS...

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #24 of 41
Been running Snow Leopard for a couple of days now.
Everything running really smooth so far. A couple of 3rd. party applications no longer work, but can not blame Apple for that...

/me like it!
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been running Snow Leopard for a couple of days now.
Everything running really smooth so far. A couple of 3rd. party applications no longer work, but can not blame Apple for that...

/me like it!
biggrin.gif

Um.. yes you can.. If they worked before, and used proper code to work.. then they should still work. There's no "Run in Leopard " compatability mode?

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um.. yes you can.. If they worked before, and used proper code to work.. then they should still work. There's no "Run in Leopard " compatability mode?

Then they probably did not use proper code...
Max from sbooth.org
Raging Menace - MenuMeters

Edit: I see both have come up with new versions after the 10.6 release, which are said to fix the issues...

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #27 of 41
Still, at least you're getting relatively quick fixes.. that's something to be praised. Good on the developers
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then they probably did not use proper code...

That's still no excuse. If they ran in Leopard but not in Snow Leopard, it's Apple's fault. Apple's stuff changed and it went from working to not working. That's all there is.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's still no excuse. If they ran in Leopard but not in Snow Leopard, it's Apple's fault. Apple's stuff changed and it went from working to not working. That's all there is.

Would that be like saying something third party worked in XP but will not work
in Windows 7 so its Microsoft's problem.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #30 of 41
And when that happens, it IS MIcrosoft's problem. Which is why they put so much work into making sure things do work. For examples throughout the development of Windows, check out Raymond Chen's Blog and Book.

A few examples:

The Shell Folders Key
Programs using undocumented structures
Why not just block apps that rely on undocumented behavior?
The power of Deer Hunter
Detecting Long File Name Support
DS_SHELLFONT
Why does Windows eject CDs after burning them?

I could go on for a loooooong time with those. Suffice to say that MS puts a huge amount of work into backwards compatibility, which is why an overwhelming majority of stuff going all the way back to Windows 3.1 still runs on modern systems without even recompiling. For the tiny number of Mac programs out there (comparatively), for Apple not to provide backcompat is apalling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back