Snorry Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 5, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #46 of 134
I would describe NM-1 as a full-bodied sound from lows to highs. It will not impress you with sparkling treble or sound stage width but when you get used to its sound signature you consider nm-1 very natural sounding. It is neutral (or maybe very balanced), bass is tight and pretty fast. Is this the fastest bass on the planet? Probably not. Snorry has his own vision on how the bass should sound to stay natural and full-bodied. You can see the FR curve in my second post.
It will not throw tons of details onto your face but they are all there. Soundstage is deep but not the widest I heard ( not hd800s size). I would not call treble rolled off, it just does not play the first role here, to me everything is very well balanced sounding. Resolution is also very high. And yes, it requires a powerful amplifier.
I did some quick comparisons with Diana and MX4, posted in Burson thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...muse72320-volume-control.941047/post-16278747

that was mainly about amplifiers but I could understand the level of NM-1, at least

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #47 of 134
Treading on. Brutally.

I would encourage you to give the thread a read as ssnorry provides interesting commentary pertaining to the design parameters of his drivers.

I parsed what I could for reference.

* high There was a similar experience. At that time, I had a Lynx earphone, Myst ISO-60 and v1 Abyss. The abyss from the amplifier played sadly: lightened, almost without bass, approximately like Myst from the phone. On the Lynx, the Mists sort of defeated the Abyss. Then came clean class A35W @ 4 ohms. Nobody trampled anyone in the mud, my misty finalized Snorry, placing it in a carbon case, giving melody ears to the ears. But the Abyss in the macro aspect turned out to be like huge speakers up to the ceiling against compact bookshelf speakers. The detail is also higher, without brightness, clicks and sibilants (that is, without highlighting a part of the frequency range). Then the DAC is normal: the sound went up through the headphones, to the sides, to the depths. V1 - not the most technical headphones, but in the aspect of macro, scale, they are still a unique sample, not yet surpassed by anyone, we must give them their due. A huge thread is dedicated to them on Doctorhead, the owners have noted all this in detail ... Therefore, I call for the correctness of the comparison.
From SW.
> 35W @ 4 Ohm
This infa itself does not give anything, because at least it is not clear what its output impedance is.

nergosergo V1 - not the most technical headphones, but in the aspect of macro, scale they are still a unique sample, not yet surpassed by anyone, we must pay tribute to them
I don't know what you mean by macro, I mean punch, meat and that's all, feeling that the sound flow, as it were, carries with it, pressure, from what I
remember it was not, they have a good midbass (abyss), good percussion, fast enough, in that model (old) there were no sibilants. At the time, I mostly
didn't like this aspect, but technically they were not bad. New abyses generally xs that, they even can't win against he6, while they have a sound
rather unpleasant for my taste and some kind of oddity with the "scene", to me personally it seems bloated and with poor localization, at least in both versions of the
abyss I did not like it.

Again, I have heard that they are supposedly capable of something, but this does not agree with common sense, because the same nm1 are tighter.
And they play well even on an amplifier that was not created for them, there will be new ones, let's see what they show, but in theory, the gap should just become even greater.
However, I still don't have the first version right now, but I didn't like the new ones, to put it mildly.

* high In short. 1266 v1 seem to be more effective and expressive. Vocals, solo instruments are closer and larger than most paths I've heard. A little overkill + inaccuracy in the 1 ktsg zone - emotional and thus a little tiring. NM-1 vocals, lead instruments are further away and seem less expressive than the same in most paths in my experience. Perhaps they were built in a path with a pronounced middle. Why not. However, there are more emotional gradations, they have a more delicate and refined presentation, there are also more information gradations, and they listen for a longer time without fatigue - and this despite the fact that in my tract they are brighter on HF. It turns out that Abyss are much more forgivable to the tract and their main requirement is impeccable gain and good nutrition. NM-1 is more detailed, cleaner, more sophisticated in presentation, more accurately and significantly better cope with the truly complex structure of composition and mixing. Compared to the Abyss v1, it sometimes seems like it lacks depth and reverb - but that is the effect of more expressiveness, the genius of tonal adjustment and sound marketing.
I was worried about the dynamics and energy of NM-1 vs Abyss. In vain, almost do not concede. The Abyss still has the effect of large speakers, the NM-1 may be slightly smaller, but not much.
The NM-1s were bought when I realized that the narrowest link in my path was the power cables. With the replacement for even and completely non-budgetary power (although I understand that for many it may sound wild) NM-1, one might say, just jerked, Abyss grew, but not so noticeably.
Stock cables. There are mono conductors for both pairs, they are more uneven. I listened, the essence does not change.
Signature tract Rendu SE - Denafrips Gaia - Denafrips Terminator - Noosfera Echo
source Roon + HQplayer. Wi-fi bridge - opto-decoupling (filtering in-phase + constant), switch (filtering in-phase + constant + differential) - if it tells anyone what. Three dedicated power lines.
There is a desire to further open the headphones one way or another, to achieve a little more presence in the middle

stopped by to listen to this ...
Violectric V590 + Nimbus HPA US4,
Audeze LCD-MX4, Abyss Diana V2 vs Snorry NM-1

qsk In 1 hour it is quite difficult to understand what is what in detail, but conclusions about the general level are, of course, you can.

What conclusions did I make for myself:

- The NM-1 were and remain TOTL-level headphones, the difference with the top-end (near top-end) Audeze and Abyss is more tasteful, and I liked the MX-4 more than Diana.
Diana sounds strange in general, a little detached in the middle, albeit on a large scale. But here it should be noted that all the headphones were on balance, while Diana was on SE.

- My home combo Burson (Composer 3XP + Soloist 3XP) is no less than a 590 combo from the Germans. The V590 is more colored, warmer. Purely taste preferences, to whom what.

- Nimbus is a complete full end game! ) If someone has an extra 270 thousand rubles, you can take it without thinking) - purely, powerful, neutral, articulated, large-scale!

First I listened from the V590 combo, then I connected the Nimbus and the 590 worked purely as a DAC.

He listened exclusively to jazz with a pronounced rhythm section with double bass, acoustic bass (Avishai Cohen, GoGo Penguin).

L7 For the "headphone starry sky" scheme, I compared SI-2 with what was at hand from a relatively similar character at hand - LCD-2, Odin and naturally NM-1. In short, the results.

LCD-2 has nothing to oppose to SI-2 - they are much simpler in resolution. The "trick" of a powerful bass does not bring the final result to a competitive level. (-Less resolution + More bass + Darker)
C LCD-X can be compared, alas, only from memory, but they are objectively stronger than SI-2. For all the unbalanced neutrality of LCD-X, the overall class is still noticeably higher. SI-2 are more honest, perhaps, but in comparison with LCD-X it would be boring to listen to them.

In the person of Odin, they are worthy of a close rival. The resolution is generally lower in Odin, but the timbres are more interesting. SI-2 are too restrained and rather dry compared to Odin. Odin's juiciness is perhaps less natural and adds something that is absent in the source material, but without overkill, the feeling of unnaturalness does not arise much. (-Slightly less resolution -Less neutral + More interesting timbre).

Compared to the NM-1, the result is pretty straightforward. The NM-1 has the most. Higher resolution overall. The stage is wider and more interesting. Greater naturalness of timbres with less schematics. More impressive bass. And with all this, the general character of the handwriting is very similar.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #48 of 134
No comparisons to Susvara, TC, LCD-4, etc?
I have no experience with Susvara, so compared to Abyss (I own v1 Abyss) and LCD-4 (don't have them at hand, alas). In short. Abyss impresses by glossy, clean, clear and light-ish sound balanced with impressive in volume but still very fast and very detailed bass. LCD-4 – furry, mellow, warm, sweet and slow-ish sound signature. NM-1 is not glossy or furry, overall sound signature is more natural in a velvet texture not too glossy / not too furry manner. Alas for NM-1, I find overall level of sound for Abyss and LCD-4 is somewhat higher (as a price tag too). But if you prefer more neutral/natural sound signature previous statement could be not too valid.

More detailed about sound taste of Abyss vs NM-1. Highs of Abyss more detailed and bright-ish, NM-1 still a lot of details but not so over-exposing. Mids: Abyss – glossy, very clean and open, NM-1 – velvet-like textured. Bass: I would say rivals in volume, but for Abyss – faster and more detailed, NM-1 – not so superfast, super-articulated with a bit prolonged decays. Soundstage size Abyss > NM-1.

LCD-4 vs NM-1. Highs of LCD-4 may be a bit less detailed or very close detail level, but probably a bit darker. Mids: LCD-4 – sweet colored, NM-1 – much more neutral. Bass: LCD-4 bigger and slower than NM-1. Soundstage size LCD-4 less than NM-1, but not a lot.

May 5, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #49 of 134
May 5, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #50 of 134
Would very much be interested in comparison between Kennerton Thror/Thekk vs Snorry NM-1 if possible.....battle of Russian planar flagship

May 5, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #52 of 134
L7 - my nickname at player.ru, as you can guess by starmap references )
Your mention of the B22 was a dead giveaway. :wink:

May 6, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #53 of 134
Would very much be interested in comparison between Kennerton Thror/Thekk vs Snorry NM-1 if possible.....battle of Russian planar flagship
That’s gonna be absurdistic battle of flagships )

Kennerton Thror vs Snorry NM-1 – battle of elephant vs whale. Thror - rather neutral, clear and glossy sound, Abyss jr. infused with Kennerton house sound (fast, punchy, energetic, not too big soundstage). Vs NM-2 - velvet textured, not hasty, more natural-oriented and bit more spacy sound. Overall battle result, I would say – a draw, anyway )

Kennerton Thekk vs Snorry NM-1 – battle of unicorn vs whale ) Thekk – anti-neutral, V-shaped, wow-effect oriented, zebra-striped-unicorn battle with blue whale? )) Not for this universe, really ) Jokes aside – NM-1 clearly winner in general sound level. But, if you like zebra-striped-unicorns, not so shure…

May 9, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #54 of 134
I really like Plussound Poetic litz with NM-1, just in case you need to find a very good aftermarket cable for snorry hp.
Originally that was 2 pin version for IEM, I replaced 2 pins with furutech mini xlr connectors.

DSC_0183_1.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #55 of 134
That’s gonna be absurdistic battle of flagships )

Kennerton Thror vs Snorry NM-1 – battle of elephant vs whale. Thror - rather neutral, clear and glossy sound, Abyss jr. infused with Kennerton house sound (fast, punchy, energetic, not too big soundstage). Vs NM-2 - velvet textured, not hasty, more natural-oriented and bit more spacy sound. Overall battle result, I would say – a draw, anyway )

Kennerton Thekk vs Snorry NM-1 – battle of unicorn vs whale ) Thekk – anti-neutral, V-shaped, wow-effect oriented, zebra-striped-unicorn battle with blue whale? )) Not for this universe, really ) Jokes aside – NM-1 clearly winner in general sound level. But, if you like zebra-striped-unicorns, not so shure…
Interesting comparison as many many many people including myself feel the Thekk is superior to the Thror.

May 9, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #56 of 134
Interesting comparison as many many many people including myself feel the Thekk is superior to the Thror.
Share your thoughts on the Rognir as I wait for mine please.

May 9, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #57 of 134
May 9, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #58 of 134
May 9, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #59 of 134
Yes me too.....cant wait. Audio46 says this week.

May 9, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #60 of 134
"Feel" or can express superiority dimensions? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back