SNL Digital Shorts
Aug 9, 2007 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Judge Crandall

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone a fan of the SNL Digital Shorts? Some of the funniest stuff SNL has shown in a long time, in my opinion. I actually think about SNL now, which I haven't done at all over the past few years. I haven't seen all of the Digital Shorts, but the few that I have seen were really funny.

Here's a list of all the SNL Digital Shorts. Most of the videos can be found on SNL's NBC site. WARNING: Some of these might not be suitable for work. Some favorites:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Kv9qxsLOo (I find the censored version more enjoyable)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adA_wRR_GxE

Just a warning, some people may find the following clip offensive due to the context it's been placed in. While it is an unfortunate coincidence, I think it's just good, stupid fun that should be taken for what it is. I mean, it's a freaking spoof of the OC! (I've also read that this bears similarities to a Japanese movie, Death Note, which is based on the manga of the same name). Please watch the video before coming to any conclusions.

The Dear Sister episode is undoubtedly the most controversial of the shorts due to what happened just a couple days after it originally aired. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, just google "dear sister snl controversy"). Having seen this much later, I didn't even make that connection. I found it stupid but hilarious at the same time, especially as it goes on. My girlfriend just thinks I'm morbid
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, so what do you guys think about the SNL Digital Shorts? Yea? Nay?

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 12
SNL regained some of it's "magic" once Tina Fey took on the head writing role a number of years back. When she was the lead writer, they had an excellent cast and they really started to get over the lull after the Myers/Sandler/Farley/etc. glory days of the early 90s.

Right now, it's been pretty good, but with Tina Fey gone, the writing has lost some of its consistency. The cast is pretty good, but they've gotten very hit and miss. Samberg and company are definitely the life of the party there right now, and the digital shorts are indeed a huge part of that. Between Andy Samberg, Amy Pohler, Keenan Thompson and Jason Sudeikis, they have huge potential.

I'd personally like to see a little more out of Fred Armisen, who is hands down one of the best character-actors they've had on the show in a long time, IMO.

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 12
IMO, the "Punching before Eating" was pretty funny. Really low brow, but so random and well done it was funny.

I think overall the SNL season opener was baaaad, but the last two shows seem much better. I wonder if they got a new writer this year? It seems like different humor in the last two episodes.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 12
the loss of tina fey is very very evident...

the best short is still "lazy sunday afternoon"...i keep it on my ipod just for a chuckle every now and then. i think parnell is hilarious.

and kristen wiig is one of the funniest on the show now...i wish they'd use her more.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the "Punching before Eating" was pretty funny. Really low brow, but so random and well done it was funny.

I loved it. I was dying. I really dig that random humor. I felt the sequence of gags was just perfect.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 12
My video froze at the Zombies. I dont watch the OC so I didnt find it as funny as some of you, but the punching before eating was hilarious. Anyone catch the Ahmadinejad video?

Oct 16, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 12
I LOVE these digital shorts. The punch one was hilarious and I hadn't seen it til now. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and kristen wiig is one of the funniest on the show now...i wish they'd use her more.

Not more, just better. She's getting pigeonholed into characters already, which is not a good thing. And a shame, since you can tell she's got a LOT more than what she's showed us so far. I can see her becoming the new Carol Burnette, for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back