snap, crackle and pop
Jul 6, 2002 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

linnem

100+ Head-Fier
After looking at a pair of mdr-e888 at my local dealer for a couple of weeks I went ahead and shelled of the money for them earlier today. Sadly however, they have a strange crackling sound in the left channel, a bit like a bowl of rice crispies...It only seems to affect the bass.

-are they defect or is there some magic trick I can perform on them??? (I have been breaking them in now for 12 hours)

martin

Jul 6, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 9
Unless it's some particularly fine pieces of earwax bouncing about... probably a defect?

Jul 6, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 9
no earwax...

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 9
u probably blew out the earpieces while breaking them in... did u just blast them at full volume immediately? or did u start gradually from low then to high? IMO its safer that way and helps stretch em out more (like running at full speed before stretching, soemtimes its safe but other times it isnt)

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 9
You might try breaking them in over night before you take them back, just to make sure that it isn't something that will go away.

Jul 7, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 9
no, the crackle was there from the start (they have now been playing for more the 24 hours with no improvement).

Guess they are dead...

Jul 7, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Pack them up and take them back. try listening to the next pair at the store just to make sure.

What I do for breakin is to tune to the classical station on my tuner and set them to a comfortable listening level and forget about them for 24-48 hours. There is enough variety inthe music and it seems to work well.

Jul 8, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 9
thanks.

They went back today, but as I was standig in the shop the crackle had all but gone. It has come and gone for the last 24 hours and the storeclerk looked at me like I was from another planet. Anyway, told him I'm not going to spend 110 Drls US on something that works "sometimes".

Will let you all know how it it turns out.

Jul 8, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Maybe you have rice krispies in your ears?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I still would have exchanged them for another pair. Even if it comes and goes, they are still probably defective.

Now, if this new pair sound defective, then you might want to look at your source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back