Smyth SVS vs Beyerdynamic Headzone?
Oct 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

miT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I have searched for a while & not found a similar thread (plenty of separate ones though) so I thought I'd start this one. I'm assuming this is the right forum section? Anyhoo:

1. Which of the two products is better for realistic surround sound & why/by how much?

2. Do you need to run them via a headphone amp as well?

3. What on earth happened to the Yamaha YSV-1??
confused_face_2.gif

I ask because I've been toying with replacing my 5.1 surround but for an upgrade, these two are around the same price range (although create better room acoustics) & I prefer the "intimate sound" headphones produce anyway.

Please, no posts about or bashing DH as I'm already getting an SU-DH1 (as a cheap start anyway) but I want to know if Beyer's cheaper option can really cut it...

Cheers in advance,

miT

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 7
I totally agree. I don't expect anyone to actually own both, but I would expect someone who was about to make such an expensive purchase to test out the competition first, just to make sure they're getting the best for their money. At least, that's what I would do & I'm exactly the brightest spark on the planet...
rolleyes.gif

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the SU-DH1 was rated as an equal though?
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah you might say that on paper... but perhaps upon hearing the SVS your wallet jumps out of your pocket and pays the sales guy while your sat there with your gob wide open. I think the software variant is better than the SU-DH1, be interesting to see what Edwood thinks comparing the SU-DH1 to the SVS. I bet money that he likes the SVS tenfold and the SU-DH1 is nothing much at all in comparison.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 7
LOL! Good point. I'm glad I don't fall in that category though; if I could go & have a demo, I'm trying them all out first (has saved me £1,000s in the past)!

Only 10x better?
wink.gif
I bet he'll feel sick every time he hears something starting with SU...

The sad thing is that it wouldn't actually be impossibly for DH to match it. At the end of the day both are software based so if one can do it, the other has no excuse (think Internet Explorer vs Mozilla Firefox).

The thing is, Dolby don't seem interested in bettering their products (e.g. I've bought some "official" DVDs where the DD 5.1 is seriously muffled & has no treble at all (actually distracting from the film), on every copy I've tried) so Smyth, probably a small company in comparison would win hands down for wanting to excel from the start. Hats off to them I say. If only they'd release a "scaled down" (i.e. cheaper) version then more people could buy & they'd receive the (monetary) reward they deserve! In which case, why on earth did Yamaha not release the YSV-1??

Now if dts decided to make their own version...
biggrin.gif

Why does no one else want to join in the fun & post?

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 7
I found the SVS to be much superior after auditioning both at Canjam 09. The SVS was jaw-droppingly realistic while the Headzone was less than convincing IMO.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the SVS to be much superior after auditioning both at Canjam 09. The SVS was jaw-droppingly realistic while the Headzone was less than convincing IMO.

Thanks moonboy, at least that's a starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back