Smyth SVS Realiser Virtual Surround Technology for Headphones
May 7, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 334
Sounds very interesting. Count me in for a trip!!

May 7, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #17 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed, if I recall correctly, Mike Smyth contacted me first about attending. He and I went back and forth with emails and spoke on the phone a couple of times. There were logistic issues relative to getting a decent surround sound speaker system for their demo. They finally figured all that out and the rest is history.

That's great that they sought us out first.

And yes, the logistics became driving across the country.
eek.gif

May 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #18 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I will certainly talk to them about a group buy or some kind of Head-Fi special.

Just out of curiosity, who contacted them originally to have them come to CanJam?

-Ed

They found out about Canjam on the internet,looking up headphones,Guess what site popped up
wink.gif

I would definately be in on a group buy.

May 7, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #20 of 334
Which inputs can the smyth box accept?
I'm currently using a dedicated Dolby Headphone amp and it accepts DD and DTS signals as input. But if the smyth box would be able to use 5.1 analog in it would be great for multichannel SACD which I currently can't use with headphones. Anyone knows about this?

May 7, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #21 of 334
Really exciting news!
I am most probably in for a "Black Box" (without headphone system) group buy.

May 7, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxlMusikfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which inputs can the smyth box accept?
I'm currently using a dedicated Dolby Headphone amp and it accepts DD and DTS signals as input. But if the smyth box would be able to use 5.1 analog in it would be great for multichannel SACD which I currently can't use with headphones. Anyone knows about this?

Just your luck, the first release for the Smyth Box is analog inputs only. So you'll need a pre-amp with pre outs; Front, Center, and Surrounds.

-Ed

May 7, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #23 of 334
I have made some videos from CanJam. The link is in my sig. Check out the Smyth Research one.
wink.gif

This box is awesome. I'd like to get one also. I can't imagine how it would sound with better source and supporting equipment.
eek.gif

Hey Ed why do you need multichannel preamps? You can go multichannel analog out of source to the SVS box then 2 channel out of it to your headphone amp no?

May 7, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #24 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have made some videos from CanJam. The link is in my sig. Check out the Smyth Research one.
wink.gif

This box is awesome. I'd like to get one also. I can't imagine how it would sound with better source and supporting equipment.
eek.gif

Hey Ed why do you need multichannel preamps? You can go multichannel analog out of source to the SVS box then 2 channel out of it to your headphone amp no?

For my XBox 360. I should've asked them how they set that up. The Box 360 does not have analog multichannel outs.

-Ed

May 7, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 334
I've never understood why this type of technology requires extra hardware?

If the effect prevails with varying amps and headphones then couldn't the surround audio be processed in the digital domain? Really all that's happening in the black box is some sort of fancy downmixing. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's all real complicated and high-end, but there is no reason for external hardware.

How does analog inputs even make sense?

EK

May 8, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #27 of 334
To evilking's point, you don't need any extra box if the Smyth brothers sign up a lot of measuring venues worldwide. You go to one, get measured, leave with your SD card. Then manufacturers of amps could license the technology and put an SD card reader in (cheap). You're now all fixed up.

Well almost. The amp manufacturer still has to include the head-motion reader ... that's just like another remote control eye, so again not a big deal.

But if they want you to "try this at home", then they have to sell you a box with mike inputs and the processing chip that computes the filter. And it's a good place to put the SD reader and the head-motion eye.

AS for digital -- yea you can do it all on the digital signal, but where? You don't want an SD card reader in all your digital sources, so it has to go in your DAC, and not everyone has outboard DACS, so do it analog since every rig has that.

They should license the algorithm to Lyngdorf that already has an all-digital amp with full DSP room correction, and Lyngdorf should put in a damn HP jack which they "forgot". Lyngdorf even has built in A-to-D for analog sources. Combo would be unbeatable.

Edwood -- you're going to push the group buy idea at them?

May 8, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #29 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To evilking's point, you don't need any extra box if the Smyth brothers sign up a lot of measuring venues worldwide. You go to one, get measured, leave with your SD card. Then manufacturers of amps could license the technology and put an SD card reader in (cheap). You're now all fixed up.

Well almost. The amp manufacturer still has to include the head-motion reader ... that's just like another remote control eye, so again not a big deal.

But if they want you to "try this at home", then they have to sell you a box with mike inputs and the processing chip that computes the filter. And it's a good place to put the SD reader and the head-motion eye.

AS for digital -- yea you can do it all on the digital signal, but where? You don't want an SD card reader in all your digital sources, so it has to go in your DAC, and not everyone has outboard DACS, so do it analog since every rig has that.

They should license the algorithm to Lyngdorf that already has an all-digital amp with full DSP room correction, and Lyngdorf should put in a damn HP jack which they "forgot". Lyngdorf even has built in A-to-D for analog sources. Combo would be unbeatable.

Edwood -- you're going to push the group buy idea at them?

Yes, of course if/when they get licensed in lots of devices, no other boxes will be needed. BUT. I want the Smyth SVS NOW!!! It'll be spendy in comparison to an all in one solution, but the Smyth Box will be pretty future proof even if it ends up going nowhere. (I hope not, I really hope not).

And yes, I'll be pushing for a group buy. Just post your interest here. I'll point them to this thread and see if they are open to it.

-Ed

May 8, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #30 of 334
I think we are at 7 for the group buy at the moment ... it seems we all care somewhat about the price, and would like to buy the black box without the entry-level Stax, since we all will have phones and amps of higher quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back