Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 23, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #13,548 of 15,986
Is anyone using the User B head tracker?

The status of the head tracker(s) is reported by pressing the "HT" button on the remote just left of the blue "PB" button while the speaker map is displayed. Mine says "not detected" for User B (click on the photo). When I plug in the head tracker when the A16 is on, the HT screen flashes several status messages, including "warming up", the LED on the head tracker shows green for a few seconds, then turns red and the status changes to "User B HT not detected".

If I plug that head tracker into User A it works as expected. Plugging the User A head tracker into User B also shows "User B HT not detected".

Alternatively, can anyone using a single head tracker select the "HT" screen on the remote and then temporarily plug the head tracker into User B and report what the screen shows for status and their firmware level. I'm on firmware 2.05.

(Note - press the HT button a second time to return to the speaker map).
Are you trying to use the optical stabilization? Since it says in the Firmware release notes for 2.11

New A16 Features in Development (all hardware variants)
1) Auro3D certification
2) Vertical Headtracking mode
3) Low delay gaming mode
4) Extend optical stabilisation mode to User B head tracking

May 23, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #13,549 of 15,986
Are you trying to use the optical stabilization? Since it says in the Firmware release notes for 2.11

New A16 Features in Development (all hardware variants)
1) Auro3D certification
2) Vertical Headtracking mode
3) Low delay gaming mode
4) Extend optical stabilisation mode to User B head tracking
Yes, I am using optical stabilization so you've solved my issue. Now to experiment with other stabilization, wait for newer firmware, or just use only User A and just plug and unplug when I want to switch headphones. Thanks!

May 23, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #13,550 of 15,986
At this point I may as well report on the closed-back HD820's I'm trying out, compared to the HD800S. I'm still experimenting with manLOUD, etc for the 820's, but initial reactions are

(1) they solve my sound leakage problem (20 dB less than the 800S)
(2) Fit is actually more comfortable since they don't slop around on my head like the 800S do.
(3) Except that my ears get hotter, but not unbearably so.
(4) sound directionality is as good as the 800S but
(5) sense of distance to speakers (room) may not be quite as good, say maybe 80% of the 800S. Still investigating.
(6) bass seems to be more prominent/extended.
(7) I tried them for comfort for several days using the 800S HPEQ and that worked well. I did an 820 HPEQ/manLOUD yesterday and still need to compare the two HPEQs.

I was trying to do comparisons with User A (HD820) vs B (HD800S) when I ran into the head-tracking issue, but I can still compare without it.

I was pretty happy watching Ford vs Ferrari with the volume turned up but needed stabilization since I kept turning my head to watch the cars zoom by me.

May 23, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #13,551 of 15,986
Don't press the configure speakers button. What does the "Format" select box (on the same page as the configure speakers button) show you?
The format button really only shows you all the bitrate options avialable for the amount of channels you have available to you. As for me, I can select from 16 20 and 24 bit at 48kHz, all at 2 channels.

May 23, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #13,552 of 15,986
YES!!!

Screenshot_20220523-202057_TIDAL.jpg

https://songwhip.com/sting/ten-summoners-tales

May 27, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #13,555 of 15,986
FYI the Okto Research DAC8 Pro 8-channel DAC that works so well with the AES version of A16 is available to purchase at this very moment, only with a silver front plate though. They most likely only have a few units available, I suggest acting extremely quickly if someone's interested...

In my experience you'll get your unit in 1-2 months after you order.

https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8pro.htm

Edit: still available a few hours later

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #13,556 of 15,986
Yes, I agree. I must say that I just assumed that @KMann is using an in person PRIR already, if not then for sure he is not using his A16 anywhere near optimal!

[Edit: I was looking at some older posts by KMann and I saw he did personal PRIR measurements and manLOUDs, and put quite a bit of effort into that it seems.]
I have had the A8 before A16, and I have done personal PRIR measurements with both. With A16 I use 3DSoundshops D&D (non personal) PRIR with manLOUD and it is awesome for movies and easily beats my own EQed HT setup 7.2.4 Atmos setup (NAD M17, Hypex Ncore amp, 2x SVS subs + 11 High efficiency Omega speakers, Class A amps for L + R + C channels).

I have done many comparisons with A16 (and also A8) personal PRIR measurements for 2channel setup, yes A16 images almost true to the original 2ch setup, but when it comes to transparency and reproduction of transients, it is not the same and it cannot be the same. For those who cannot have their own 2 ch setup, there is no doubt A16 is a God send. Occasionally for large orchestral works, I do use A16 with my personal PRIR measurements of a planar array and enjoy the scale, but when I want the ultimate in refinement and transparency I am back to my monitors or headphones. Of course it is a matter of preference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back